Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Finally a vinyl rack with proper dividers - the price is just plain crazy thou.

My custom cabinets have had dividers and they are so god at stopping the excessive weight of records. I have 20 of them.

just get a good kitchen/cabinet maker and it will cost so much less $$

Reactions: Recordsguy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They look great — very professional!

Reactions: XV-1

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
$5k seems like a lot for that shelf. Ikea is hard to beat -silly cost effective-, but custom units would be nice and presumably cheaper or at least nicer. Think of how much vinyl you could buy for the same $ and different shelves.

Maybe if I liked the look more I’d just wave the cost.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
By stop you mean the aluminum pieces attached to the front?

Why don’t you like them?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I started with the Per Madsen Rackits way back when Per was just getting started and I bought his elegantly designed minimalist racks made of solid oak pieces from his garage workshop in San Francisco. They were about $40 per rack in those days. Each rack holds about 100 single albums, generally fewer records if they are in boxes. By the time he retired 30+ years later, they cost about $100 each. They stack up to five high (although I have them up to 6 high. ) I saw in MF's column that there is someone who has copied Per's designs exactly and sells a duplicate of $129 now. I have over 100 Rackits which hold about 10,000 records (about 2/3rds of my vinyl collection). I have several Ikea cases which hold my other 5000 records. The Per Madsen Rackits predated Ikea in the US, and their modular design makes moving records around much easier, since the Rackits can be carried with records in them, by reasonably strong people.

I am guessing I spent about $6000 on my 100+ Rackits to hold 10K records, or about 60 cents per record. The Ikea cases were much cheaper (not the Kallax or Expedit, but another one that is 76 in high by 48 in wide with two sets of five openings between 13.5 and 14 in high and 15 inches deep. It also has a back. I have four of those. I'm sure they were less than $250 each. So I spent under $7000 to hold 15K records. To hold the same number, I would need 22 of the Waxrax units at $5K each - or $110K.

Larry

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No experience. A wee bit pricy??
A WEE BIT... If I put all my records in those I could have bought a nice pair of Wilsons or Magico's or.....instead.
on the other side they are pretty awesome looking!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
By stop you mean the aluminum pieces attached to the front?

Why don’t you like them?
He means the vertical divider inside each of his cubes stops the excessive weight of 100 records leaning against you when flipping through records versus 20 or so. My only beef there is his wood ones in total take up the space of another cubes worth of records, where as on the metal ones the dividers are 1/32 of an inch or so.
Those WaxRax are Badd Ass as is everything else on his site. If I was wealthy enough to buy 10 or so of those and not have my bank accout care about it I would in a heart beat.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
He means the vertical divider inside each of his cubes stops the excessive weight of 100 records leaning against you when flipping through records versus 20 or so. My only beef there is his wood ones in total take up the space of another cubes worth of records, where as on the metal ones the dividers are 1/32 of an inch or so.
Those WaxRax are Badd Ass as is everything else on his site. If I was wealthy enough to buy 10 or so of those and not have my bank accout care about it I would in a heart beat.

No, no I don’t.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Other than $5,000 being a nice round number, I cannot deduce why they are so expensive.

Machining cost? But they look like (nicely-made) strips of aluminum and side panels.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Nothing looks machined, looks all stamped/rolled/press, but out of decent gauge, and then painted/treated.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Would get a local millwork/cabinet shop to build them to your specs.
For 5k you can get a lot of LP storage build.
Mine are roughly 12.5 x 12.5 opening made out of baltic birch with white end gables. Pics are on my Audiogon system page.
If you like the metal look, would get a shop to make shelving to my liking.
There isn't that much money/materials in those WaxRax, but for those that want it now that is their choice.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I could not find what I wanted so did custom in walnut dovetail fronts. I like sliding drawers, splines are difficult to read for me.

Far less expensive, the drawer can be made by production cabinet shops that supplies to smaller shops... lots on the web. Metal space frame by local welder. Assembled by me

IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG IMG_2034.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing