Weiss DAC204

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi gentlemen,

did someone listen to this DAC and what are the experiences?

Thank you

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Which DAC chip do they use in the DAC204?

Matt

VinceT

Jan 26, 2021
Latest from Steve Huff:

The Lumin U2 and New Weiss DC 204

While I was evaluating the Lumin U2 a package arrived from The Music Room. They sent me over the brand spanking new Weiss DAC 204 which is pretty much like the DAC section of the $9k 501 without the screen, DSP or headphone amp.

This shot the adrenaline up a few notches and I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound of this combo. It reminded me just how fantastic Weiss DACs are and this one sounds like a true HIGH END DAC yet it comes in at under $3k. It brings life, amazing detail retrieval and an incredible way of separating every sound within a super tall and wide soundstage. This DAC needs to be known as for the price and several thousand dollars above it, there is nothing that will best it at what it does.

Where the T+A is special in the way it gently brings that musical flow with air and grace and a slight politeness the Weiss is about dynamics, power and also density. The 204 delivers Chord DAVE levels of detail but with more body to each note, string and vocal. This is one hell of a DAC and I will be reviewing it soon.

Reactions: Amir and matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The 204 delivers Chord DAVE levels of detail but with more body to each note, string and vocal. This is one hell of a DAC and I will be reviewing it soon.
Great report, thank you :cool:
May I ask, did you use it with the standard SMPS?

Matt

VinceT

Jan 26, 2021
I have not heard the 501 or 502, but essentially what he is saying is its the same DAC minus the EQ and DSP.

This is quite the statement he made and I look forward to his full review:

he 204 delivers Chord DAVE levels of detail but with more body to each note, string and vocal. This is one hell of a DAC and I will be reviewing it soon.

With the Lumin U2 there were some tracks where I slightly preferred the T+A and others the Weiss. Overall though for $2800 the Weiss is a MUST audition if you like amazing detail that is still extremely musical. This box has some magic to it and I hope many of you get a chance to hear it.

It’s one of those pieces that you can buy for $2800 yet you will have a DAC that hangs with the $10k crowd in sound.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
From Michael Lavorgna is also a review upcoming.

Matt

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
First (?) review

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing