Weiss New Reference Helios DAC

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
New Weiss Reference Helios DAC is comming ...

Weiss Helios Replaced Medus DAC .

stay tuned ...

Last edited:
Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Yes, It is waited until October 2021, but the master prefer take his time to have it just perfect.
Certainly a serious contender to PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPD-8.
PHPAUDIO only sells WEISS and PLAYBACK DESIGNS in digital

Reactions: Amir

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Yes, It is waited until October 2021, but the master prefer take his time to have it just perfect.
Certainly a serious contender to PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPD-8.
PHPAUDIO only sells WEISS and PLAYBACK DESIGNS in digital
Hi Amir

WEISS DAC HELIOS is finally there . This new reference professional level will be ready to ship mid February. He has a slim design like 502 but this time all the enclosure is in aluminium as MEDUS was. This flagship DAC will be a incredible performer at a reasonable price for master performance.
KR

Attachments

• HELIOS FRONT.jpg
    HELIOS FRONT.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 84
  • HELIOS BACK.jpg
    HELIOS BACK.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 81

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Thank you so much

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Hi Amir

WEISS DAC HELIOS is finally there . This new reference professional level will be ready to ship mid February. He has a slim design like 502 but this time all the enclosure is in aluminium as MEDUS was. This flagship DAC will be a incredible performer at a reasonable price for master performance.
KR
Any idea of its expected price? TIA

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I guess it is less than $30k

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Any idea of its expected price? TIA
Yes I know the price, it's 18200 CHF excluding VAT, excluding tax / importation fees depending on the country. Around 22 K€ in France

Reactions: Amir

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Hi Amir

KR
Do you have any idea if Weiss will continue to explore the R-2R solution, perhaps in a model above the Helios?

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Yes R-2R new DAC is planed, but development need some time and I think launch is not possible before 2 or 3 years.
Helios was planed to fall 2021...

Reactions: Amir and nicoludio

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Do you have any idea if Weiss will continue to explore the R-2R solution, perhaps in a model above the Helios?
Wait, is helios not ess based like the 50x line? I thoyght using ess so that they could do everything else off chip was weiss's whole game tbh

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hi

All is on my Blog
WEISS. HELIOS, The new flagship DAC from the Swiss brand
MEDUS successor, HELIOS is a ambitious design. Digital to analog use the same technology thanWEISS Uster studio machines. This close the gap between High-End and Pro gears.
Daniel WEISS chooses ESS Sabre ES9028PRO, the DAC specialized in SACD, BLU-RAY and DSDhi-rez formats. Analog output section uses 4 op amplifiers from WEISS and improved powersupply.
Slim style is visually similar to DAC 502 et 502 4CH, but the enclosure is completly different, muchmore rigid, all in aluminium like was MEDUS, with a specificic steel internal shielding.
Strong point, 7 fixed output levels + 1 continuous digital. This assures a perfect match with anyamplifier, direct or with preamp (gain and saturation). Fixed levels offer a more transparent soundand quite more natural, say silky and organic.
HELIOS also has an internal streamer Roon Ready (same than DAC 500 series) and a DSP. The DSP will be active for the first time, to correct all room acoustics with the help of USB microphone (not delivered with HELIOS). This active DSP is a free software upgrade that will be available later in 2023.
At 11800 euros, French VAT incl., HELIOS is very competitive vs the competition that is not as deeply designed with proprietary solutions than this new WEISS.
First delivery at the end of February.

KR
Philippe

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Reactions: matthias

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Reactions: matthias

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello

not yet. I thought it was not a good idea to listen at MOC in Munich. I will listen to HELIOS in July. I will report.
I spent more time to improve my PLAYBACK MPS-8 with Help of new products from PRANAWIRE (Master ground system) and TAIKO Extreme Switch (still in building).
See my blog

My MPS-8 is on sale for renewal.

Sep 10, 2022
@PhP Have you had the chance to compare playback designs to Weiss helios?

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
@PhP Have you had the chance to compare playback designs to Weiss helios?
Not yet. I will do in October. As I expect, HELIOS will be a direct competition of PLAYBACK MPD-6 + StreamX2 but not MPD8 or MPS-8 + Stream X2. I will report.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing