Weiss vs. lampizator dac?

Transmission

Mar 25, 2021
Dear friends,

I am thinking of upgrading my dac from playback designs merlot to either lampizator golden gate or weiss 501 or medea plus.
I like detailed sound, but not too analytical.
my system tens to be on the warm side with trenner and friedl isis speakers and Dan D’Agostino momentum s250 with Shindo Masseto preamp.
I mainly listen to streamed music form my metronome dss streamer.

1. I would appreciate if any of you have some experience with these two companies and which model from both of these companies will best fit my setup? (In your opinion)

2. Did someone compare weiss medea plus with the 501 new dac?

Thank you in advance for your he and experience sharing.
eran.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear friends,

I am thinking of upgrading my dac from playback designs merlot to either lampizator golden gate or weiss 501 or medea plus.
I like detailed sound, but not too analytical.
my system tens to be on the warm side with trenner and friedl isis speakers and Dan D’Agostino momentum s250 with Shindo Masseto preamp.
I mainly listen to streamed music form my metronome dss streamer.

1. I would appreciate if any of you have some experience with these two companies and which model from both of these companies will best fit my setup? (In your opinion)

2. Did someone compare weiss medea plus with the 501 new dac?

Thank you in advance for your he and experience sharing.
eran.
Never heard the 501 but I have the Medea & Medea+ and sonically I prefer both over the GG in every department, specially in the bass where I find the Weiss ahead of any high end DAC I’ve ever heard.

david

Reactions: KeithR

Transmission

Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for your comment, David.
do you say that the medea plus has more bass or more bass control.
I am asking you that because my speakers are very sensitive 91 db and have 15 inch woofers...

eran.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you for your comment, David.
do you say that the medea plus has more bass or more bass control.
I am asking you that because my speakers are very sensitive 91 db and have 15 inch woofers...

eran.
Control isn’t a problem Eran, I was talking about the quality of the bass which is wonderful and it’s not in your face like some DACs either. There are no issues with your speakers.

david

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
you can not find more resolution than Weiss DACs in it's price range. I have both DAC502 and medus. Weiss opens new transparent window to sound you never heard before in the price range.

weiss is not analytical if you use proper cables/proper voltage/good AC supply

before connecting weiss dac to your pre amplifier you should check the maximum input voltage of pre-amplifer to properly adjust the output voltage of weiss

to have good sound from Weiss you should consider these items:
- break-in time is more than 300 hours
- use only XLR Balance Cables for both analog output and digital input (do not use RCA)
- use proper AC Polarity not invert (proper polarity chassis voltage is 115v and invert polarity chassis voltage is 105v)
- for Roon ready mode use high quality ethernet cables (PC/MAC to Switch and Switch to DAC)
- for USB mode use high quality USB Cable
- for Connecting to Transport only use XLR input (AES/EBU) with high quality Digital XLR Cable like Acrolink

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Weiss - one of the few honest audio engineering companies left. Their work is exemplary and free of the usual grandiose marketing bull that sucks in well heeled middle aged upgraditis audiophiles that have superhuman hearing and like to buy billet slabs of hifi weighing double figure kilogram hefts as an exercise in willy waving. Weiss are deeply respected in studios and by engineers the word over. Their professional equipment is legendary over the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing