Western Electric Gauging Interest Expanding Tube Product Line

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Survey filled out with requested tubes... now hopefully we have expanded manufacturing!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own both new nos and re issue of there 274b
both very close and very good
tak is also very good but on recti a bit more weighted
I owned there new nos 300 as well. Sold them once I got a set of taks
also very good but again a bit weighted too.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
When I filled out the survey I also asked for was also the 5AR4 & 6SN7 , as well as, 12AX7, 5751, 6L6, 845 & kt88

Reactions: Khorn

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
In this month's issue of Stereophile , Julie Mullins stated in her Re-Tales column that Western Electric is working on tooling for specific parts , but intends on adding 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6550 and 6L6 tubes to its lineup. Specific pricing was not mentioned, but she does quote WE President & Owner Charlie Whitener as stating that WE will not be able to meet Russian and Chinese tube prices due to the labor cost differential; and that it will likely be 9 months to a year before they are able to deliver quantity of tubes. There was no mention of maybe adding additional types down the road.

A wait still in store but a degree of good news regardless

Last edited:
Reactions: Khorn and gestalt

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
…North York (Toronto) Canada
In this month's issue of Stereophile , Julie Mullins stated in her Re-Tales column that Western Electric is working on tooling for specific parts , but intends on adding 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6550 and 6L6 tubes to its lineup. Specific pricing was not mentioned, but she does quote WE President & Owner Charlie Whitener as stating that WE will not be able to meet Russian and Chinese tube prices due to the labor cost differential; and that it will likely be 9 months to a year before they are able to deliver quantity of tubes. There was no mention of maybe adding additional types down the road.

A wait still in store but a degree of good news regardless
If their 6SN7s are any indication they will be well worth the wait.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
If their 6SN7s are any indication they will be well worth the wait.
Have you heard the new WE 6SN7 from them. I read something about them last year, but still haven't seen anything else about them.
What did they replace to say they are good tubes, any comparisons? Very curious since I don't have any of the really expensive and desirable 6SN7 tubes.

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
Have you heard the new WE 6SN7 from them. I read something about them last year, but still haven't seen anything else about them.
What did they replace to say they are good tubes, any comparisons? Very curious since I don't have any of the really expensive and desirable 6SN7 tubes.
I’ve written quite a bit about it over on Steve Hoffman. When I totally upgraded my main system recently (except for the speakers) I ran the stock tubes and received the WE tubes unexpectedly a few months later . I’ve also had many years experience with all type of tubes in the past. The attributes these tubes bring to the table are blatantly obvious. I’ve been using them for a while now and I’m anxiously awaiting their release later tis year as I have back ups on order and don’t want to ever be without them.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I’ve written quite a bit about it over on Steve Hoffman. When I totally upgraded my main system recently (except for the speakers) I ran the stock tubes and received the WE tubes unexpectedly a few months later . I’ve also had many years experience with all type of tubes in the past. The attributes these tubes bring to the table are blatantly obvious. I’ve been using them for a while now and I’m anxiously awaiting their release later tis year as I have back ups on order and don’t want to ever be without them.
Hi @Khorn , nice to find you over here. The Stereophile article doesn't mention 6SN7 as a possible release. I've been hanging on your every word in your comments about the sound of your WE.

Khorn

Sep 21, 2021
Hi @Khorn , nice to find you over here. The Stereophile article doesn't mention 6SN7 as a possible release. I've been hanging on your every word in your comments about the sound of your WE.
Yeah I know it’s a bit nuts in way I actually have prototypes of the only one they don’t mention at all. I do hope they come out as these are something special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowrider75

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Has anyone used Sylvania 6SN7W Tall Bottle with the Horizon? The pair I am looking at does not have the metal base. I'm putting together a nice collection for when the Horizon arrives. Looking at a pair from a reputable seller, just not sure. If anyone has used them with the Horizon can you please share your observations...

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
274B FTW!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Takatsuki is selling a 2A3, and if their 300B is any indication they should be very good
Thanks but $2500 for a pair of newly made tubes is not something I will do. Too many things can go wrong that are not covered. And that’s a significant cost for most. Way overpriced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing