What albums do you play weekly?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a handful of albums (six actually) that I've listened to on a weekly basis for years/decades. I just never seem to tire of them and they always bring me a great deal of pleasure. And when I listen to them I don't want to be disturbed, even though I can cue them up again and start over. It just annoys me if I have to do that.

The albums I play weekly are:
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Mike Oldfield - Tubular bells
Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquime saison
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Fiori-Seguin - Deux cents nuits a l'heure
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

There are quite a number of others that see regular rotation, but these 6 albums just draw me in and I have to play them. All of these albums were bought as day one releases so you can imagine how many times I've heard them....

I'm sure I'm not alone ......or am I?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
There maybe a few that get more spin, but the more recent ones get many repeats for a month or two. Till they are replaced by a new batch. About once a month ole fav's get played.
Ex IICORMN - David Crosby DVDA • out of this Mood - Lyambiko • Doors DVDA's • Steely Dan album set • Pentangle box set

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Forgot to add that a few times a year I play the Miles steel complete box sets in seq. Out of seq I usually add SoS, BotC & the French film noir soundtrack

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i play weekly whatever is in my 'new' pile. typically i'll have 10-20 Lps leaning against my walls that are new in my collection. i'll play one side of one Lp, then switch to another side of another Lp. so over 3-4 weeks i'll play my way thru the new group and then file them into the collective.

digital files are added almost daily from the Entity and those are investigated typically as playlist background music (while posting, surfing, or reading) to begin with. if it grabs me then it becomes 'lights out' 'end of day' 'i might fall asleep/meditation' music. i don't like to fall asleep with a record or tape playing.

if i'm critically listening auditioning changes or new gear then i do have my 20-30 track established playlist that i might play 2-3 times in a week. but i might go months between those periods.

not too many added silver discs these days; just don't have the room anymore even if i wanted to buy them.

there are no albums i listen to weekly long term.

there are likely around 20 or so Albums i listen to every 4-6 weeks, and this hard-core list does change slightly over time. i'm drawn back to this music on a regular basis for one reason or another.

5 off the current list that come to mind at the moment;

Ben Webster, 'Live at the Reniassance', 45rpm Lp
Neil Young, Greatest Hits, Lp
Quartetto Italiano, Beethoven Late String Quartets, Lp Box Set
Sphere, Flight Path, Lp
Any Basie Pablo Lp, they are all so good.

beyond this level there are probabaly an unconscious orbit of various time periods where increasing numbers of albums exist. some i play every three months, others 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, etc, etc.

and sometimes i grab an alphabetical handfull and just play them with no thought to what they are.

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I can't say I play anything weekly. I do play anything new (Wilco rarities box!) along with a some older titles. There are albums I always come back to - Cros IICORMN, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 4 Way Street, Manassas, Shoot Out the Lights, Skin by Peter Himmelman, all the mid to late Beatles, John Barleycorn, Pentangle, Liege & Lief, Terrapin Station, American Beauty...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I am a big fan of Steve Roach - Robert Rich - Byron Metcalf - over 100 albums i never get tired of their music smooth smoot smooth no stress for MrAcoustat.:):):)

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I'll give a big +1 to Mike's "Ben Webster Live" LP. Great album. Been spinning the original Pablo of "88 Basie Street", "Endless River" by PF, "Lost in the Dream" by The War on Drugs, The Heifetz "Sibelius Violin Concerto" on RCA (new Analogue Productions reissue), and "It's Like This" from Pat Metheny and Gil Evans "Live at the Public Theatre, Vol. 2"

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There isn't anything I listen to on a regular basis.

I listen to what strikes me at any given time.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I play anouar brahem multiple times each week, usuually the Barzakh, Conte de l'incroyable amour, Astouning eyes of Rita or Madar album.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I play anouar brahem multiple times each week, usuually the Barzakh, Conte de l'incroyable amour, Astouning eyes of Rita or Madar album.

I have them all and my favorite is this one.:)
Brahem Anouar     The Astounding Eyes Of Rita.jpg

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
And ''I'm on fire'' is from Bruce Springsteen, but that is what a good jazz singer like Carmen Gomes can do, take a well know song and transform it, make you hear it as if it is brand new.
I never thought much of neither Wicked Game nor I'm on fire, but the way these musicians play them the songs really mean something.

another good example is Cassandra Wilson singing U2's Love is Blindness;

good idea for a thread ''Cover Song better than original'', (or does it already exist? think I saw it somewhere)

mcondo

Feb 24, 2015
We play music most nights before dinner and have for years. I find the following are played once a week more or less:

Peter Wolf - Sleepless
AKUS - 1 of the last 2 released
Down from the Mountain - Music from O' Brother musicians
John Hiatt - Master of Disaster (Love the song My Thunderbird)
Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News (SACD)
Honorable mention - Rosanne Cash's latest and Lyle Lovett's Road to Ensenada

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
A few more of my favorites.

Bliss     Afterlife.jpg Bliss     Quiet Letters Import.jpg Bliss     Quiet Letters US Edition.jpg Bliss     They Made History.jpg Bliss     A Hundred Thousand Angels.jpg

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I tend to play a few cd's and Lp's on a repetitive basis only if I've done something that may or may not alter the sound of my system.

If I hear something on a cd or lp that I didn't notice before, or if it now sounds more realistic,has better definition etc.then I know that whatever I have done has been beneficial and was worth the money and time spent.

If I didn't follow this routine of using music I am very familiar with, how could I ever know if there was a change in the system?

I use recordings that I really like,and that I know inside and out.

If I didn't like the music I couldn't use them as reference discs.

Some are super recordings, some are just what I consider to be interesting and enjoyable that are not high priced recordings.

Here's a sample-
Cd- Anthony and the Johnstons-the crying Light,
- Lambchop -Mr.M
- Steely Dan-Everything must go

Lp-Dafos- side two
Ruby Braf and George Barnes salutes Rogers and Hart
Opus -Depth test record
The Roches- the first LP.

Then after the evaluation it's back to whatever new music I've picked up.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
For me also i use super recordings and a few very old ones, here is one of them.

Turrentine Stanley     Ballads.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing