What Amps are People Using with Latest Generation of Magicos? What have you heard that Impressed You?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think the best amps for the latest Magicos are CAT - by far. Tube magic and bass that gives up little to SS.

I know a lot of tube people are also pairing Magico and Jadis for that glorious midrange, but I am not crazy about Jadis bass.

SS wise, for my taste, Magico is great with Class A amps like Symphonic Line Kraft and Gryphon.

But I find PASS Xa series too mushy, too purposefully "colored up" to sound like tubes; fake.

And I find popular SS amps like CH Precision and Soulution unlistenable with Magico. D'Agostino is just meh...

What have you guys heard? What do you guys like?

Reactions: knotscott

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After my comments about Magico and pass I got told off for insulting Boston boys, even though I don't have a single comment against Madfloyd and Ack in 5 plus years.

caesar

May 30, 2010
After my comments about Magico and pass I got told off for insulting Boston boys, even though I don't have a single comment against Madfloyd and Ack in 5 plus years.

I haven't seen those comments. But Pass is a commonly acquired taste in the US. I only heard Pass XA sound good with Zu.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I haven't seen those comments. But Pass is a commonly acquired taste in the US. I only heard Pass XA sound good with Zu.

I haven't heard Magico with tubes yet so it is hard for me to say if it can bring their sound around. I have tried to like Pass for years because I like Nelson Pass's writing and his design philosophies...they just never materialized into a sound that I find convincing. Maybe he should try a good tube amp for once instead of trying to get transistors to behave...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think the best amps for the latest Magicos are CAT - by far. Tube magic and bass that gives up little to SS.

I know a lot of tube people are also pairing Magico and Jadis for that glorious midrange, but I am not crazy about Jadis bass.

SS wise, for my taste, Magico is great with Class A amps like Symphonic Line Kraft and Gryphon.

But I find PASS Xa series too mushy, too purposefully "colored up" to sound like tubes; fake.

And I find popular SS amps like CH Precision and Soulution unlistenable with Magico. D'Agostino is just meh...

What have you guys heard? What do you guys like?

Cesar could you please describe the specific system in which you heard Pass XA amplifiers driving Magico speakers on which you base these comments? Which model amplifier and which model speaker and what was the rest of the system?

If you are a little more specific I might be able to comment on your opening post. I have made very specific comparisons in the same system between different model Pass amplifiers and magico speakers. Each combination sounds different, sometimes very much so.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Well, I own magico’s (S3 MK1) and have them powered by pass labs (xa100.5’s, and now the xa160.8’s). I can agree that on the 100.5’s there is a more “tubey” presentation. Going to the .8 series, much better balanced sound top to bottom. Definitely “faster” and more precise.

I have also tried the CH M1.1 and enjoyed it when paired with my Ref10 preamp. Paired with the CH Pre, I found it to be a bit too detailed for me.

Reactions: caesar

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Andromeda/Pictor w DCF/Taurus on M3s with MB cables gives an, as the owner calls, it "sexy" sound. MB cables upped the coherence to thumbs up level. CS1s upped the spatial aspect. Sources are TD AF3 P with Elite and Ikeda, digital is Aesthetix.

Reactions: caesar

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have the S5 Mark II driven by the Pass X600.5, and I love it. No matter the music type, or the volume, they sound fantastic. At this point I am 100% satisfied with my stereo.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've used both Nagra HD amps and MSB M500's on Magico M6's and they are both very good.....

Right now my system is all MSB so I'll be selling the Nagra's (with latest update installed). If anyone is interested send a PM....

Reactions: JimmyS and caesar

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cesar could you please describe the specific system in which you heard Pass XA amplifiers driving Magico speakers on which you base these comments? Which model amplifier and which model speaker and what was the rest of the system?

Cesar, did you see this?

Also, which models do you consider to be Magico's "latest"? I would include all models that came after the important M Pro. Certainly not my Q3s.

Regardless,

I am using the Pass XA160.5s with my Magico Q3s. They are specified as having 320 watts in Class A into a 4 ohm load and then go up beyond that in Class AB. In my fairly small room, the system is quite dynamic, and can play very clean at high volumes, especially with other recent changes to my system. IMO, this is a successful pairing. There may be many others with which I am not familiar.

These same amps sounded excellent with my old Magico Mini IIs, though they were specified as being 87 dB efficient while the Q3s are 90 dB. The needle in the meter on the amps does not move with the Q3, indicating no switch out of Class A, regardless of how loud or demanding the material. I find that pretty remarkable.

I agree with you about CAT monoblocks. They sound great driving Madfloyd's Magico M Pro.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I use Magico M Project with Boulder 3060 stereo amplifier and it does some things really, really well. Bass, for example, is remarkable. Tight, fast, deep. The weakness, IMHO, is that all of the components in my audio chain are true to the source. Less-than-great recordings have nowhere to hide as they aren't colored anywhere along the way. So I find myself hovering more around well recorded material. Even redbook recordings can sound excellent, but poor recordings just aren't that much fun (even though you could enjoy listening to them in your car).

So if you came to my house and I chose the recordings, you would probably be very impressed. But if you start playing random music on Roon you might find it kinda "flat" on some recordings. Which I compensate for by pouring you more scotch.

Last edited:

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I'm using a Boulder 2060 paired with a VTL 7.5 III. A superb combo driving my S3 MkII.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I'm using a Gryphon Diablo 300 to drive S3 MkIIs. Excellent combination to my ears.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
I am using Krell MRAs with my MPros. The bass is absolutly awsome with 2000 watt in 4 ohm :D

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cesar, did you see this?

Also, which models do you consider to be Magico's "latest"? Certainly not my Q3s.

Regardless,

I am using the Pass XA160.5s with my Magico Q3s. They are specified as having 320 watts in Class A into a 4 ohm load and then go up beyond that in Class AB. In my fairly small room, the system is quite dynamic, and can play very clean at high volumes, especially with other recent changes to my system. IMO, this is a successful pairing. There may be many others with which I am not familiar.

These same amps sounded excellent with my old Magico Mini IIs, though they were specified as being 87 dB efficient while the Q3s are 90 dB. The needle in the meter on the amps does not move with the Q3, indicating no switch out of Class A, regardless of how loud or demanding the material. I find that pretty remarkable.

I agree with you about CAT monoblocks. They sound great driving Madfloyd's Magico M Pro.

Hi Peter,
Sorry I have been swamped. Not trying to cause hurt or anything like that, but people's tastes in this hobby differ. Everything has a strong sonic signature and will create an experience that will both appeal to some and polarize others. Yes, I have heard a number of Pass XA models with Magicos, Focals, Wilsons, Zu, etc., and I don't like their sonic signature. Other folks, like BlueFox above, have chosen the awesome (for those who like pure SS) Pass 600 instead of XA models , and another member Jimmy, partially agrees.

That doesn't mean that the amps don't work in your room, for the music you listen to. And you are in good company . John Wilson-Atkinson thinks the Pass XA amps he reviewed in Stereophile in the last few years are the best amplifiers he has heard in his long life despite their shortcomings.

Yet I would be curious to your thoughts on other Class A designs like the amazing Gryphons and Symphonic Line Krafts (if you could ever find a pair).

No one is right or wrong here and since it is silly to argue about tastes and preferences, all we can do is describe our experiences to guide others in their auditions.

Reactions: knotscott

caesar

May 30, 2010
Speaking of John Wilson-Atkinson, his latest review of the newest generation M2 used the amazing Lamm M1.2 Reference amps. I used to think Andrew Jones was a hyped-up schmuck until I heard the Lamm amps bring humans to life with his TAD speakers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
Sorry I have been swamped. Not trying to cause hurt or anything like that, but people's tastes in this hobby differ. Everything has a strong sonic signature and will create an experience that will both appeal to some and polarize others. Yes, I have heard a number of Pass XA models with Magicos, Focals, Wilsons, Zu, etc., and I don't like their sonic signature. Other folks, like BlueFox above, have chosen the awesome (for those who like pure SS) Pass 600 instead of XA models , and another member Jimmy, partially agrees.

That doesn't mean that the amps don't work in your room, for the music you listen to. And you are in good company . John Wilson-Atkinson thinks the Pass XA amps he reviewed in Stereophile in the last few years are the best amplifiers he has heard in his long life despite their shortcomings.

Yet I would be curious to your thoughts on other Class A designs like the amazing Gryphons and Symphonic Line Krafts (if you could ever find a pair).

No one is right or wrong here and since it is silly to argue about tastes and preferences, all we can do is describe our experiences to guide others in their auditions.

Hello Caesar, not hurt, no worries. I owned the original XA160 with my old Mini II speakers. The XA100.5 followed and had better bass control and was more neutral, however, I felt it lacked some power, so I got the XA160.5. This combination was better. I only heard what you describe as the "mushy" and "colored up" sound with the first XA160 in my system. Perhaps the older Magico speakers were also too colored to hear what you describe, I don't know.

The XA160.5 does not sound as you describe with my more efficient, easier to drive Q3s. But those are old Magico speakers too. I have not heard Gryphons or Symphonic Line Krafts ever, let alone on the latest Magicos. Many people consider Magico to be colored, so perhaps it is unfair to even value the opinions of people who conclude how a SS amp sounds using Magico speakers, of any vintage. I would disagree, but we all have opinions. You are right about that.

I would still appreciate reading what specific combinations led you to your conclusions, if you can remember them, and what the context was. I find it helpful to know the context from which people base their opinions. Otherwise, they are simply data points with little meaning, and easily dismissed as just that. I have two friends who did not like Magico speakers at all until they heard my system. Another friend never heard floor standing speakers disappear like small two ways on a stand. He has since reassessed that opinion.

My only point is that we all form opinions based on specific contexts and hold those opinions until they are shattered by hearing something else. One of my goals is to get out more, after the current crisis, to hear alternatives to what I have become so accustomed to. Who knows, my opinions may also radically change.

Reactions: gds7368 and caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hello Caesar, not hurt, no worries. I owned the original XA160 with my old Mini II speakers. The XA100.5 followed and had better bass control and was more neutral, however, I felt it lacked some power, so I got the XA160.5. This combination was better. I only heard what you describe as the "mushy" and "colored up" sound with the first XA160 in my system. Perhaps the older Magico speakers were also too colored to hear what you describe, I don't know.

The XA160.5 does not sound as you describe with my more efficient, easier to drive Q3s. But those are old Magico speakers too. I have not heard Gryphons or Symphonic Line Krafts ever, let alone on the latest Magicos. Many people consider Magico to be colored, so perhaps it is unfair to even value the opinions of people who conclude how a SS amp sounds using Magico speakers, of any vintage. I would disagree, but we all have opinions. You are right about that.

I would still appreciate reading what specific combinations led you to your conclusions, if you can remember them, and what the context was. I find it helpful to know the context from which people base their opinions. Otherwise, they are simply data points with little meaning, and easily dismissed as just that. I have two friends who did not like Magico speakers at all until they heard my system. Another friend never heard floor standing speakers disappear like small two ways on a stand. He has since reassessed that opinion.

My only point is that we all form opinions based on specific contexts and hold those opinions until they are shattered by hearing something else. One of my goals is to get out more, after the current crisis, to hear alternatives to what I have become so accustomed to. Who knows, my opinions may also radically change.

Hi Peter,
Nice post. My opinion got shattered immediately after I put on a Zeppelin, the Who, or Muddy Waters track - and compared against the X series. :)

I need that snap! Otherwise, the realism illusion escapes me quickly. I don't miss a thing with other Class A designs....But I believe you listen primarily to Classical on pristine vinyl, which may explain some things. Anyways all good

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
Nice post. My opinion got shattered immediately after I put on a Zeppelin, the Who, or Muddy Waters track - and compared against the X series. :)

I need that snap! Otherwise, the realism illusion escapes me quickly. I don't miss a thing with other Class A designs....But I believe you listen primarily to Classical on pristine vinyl, which may explain some things. Anyways all good

I have often contemplated the X600.8s but am now focused on other things, and yes, music genre does seem to influence opinion. For years I mistakenly assumed gear choices are primarily responsible for the sound one hears. I have lately felt that it has more to do with set up and room context. I'm sure it all matters, but I am changing my opinion about what is responsible for what. Such a fascinating hobby.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I've used both Nagra HD amps and MSB M500's on Magico M6's and they are both very good.....

Right now my system is all MSB so I'll be selling the Nagra's (with latest update installed). If anyone is interested send a PM....

Would enjoy hearing how the Nagra HD amps compare to the CH M1.1 in my system. Have to see if I can arrange an audition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing