What are some great shelf size amplifiers?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I'm blessed with limited space :)

What are the great small, single shelf amplifiers out there? I'm using an 8WPC Sun Audio SET with my 96dB 12" bass reflex studio monitors and I'm looking for more power.

I listen to all kinds of music so I need something that can handle the delicate and also the bass of electronic music.

Reactions: mtemur

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Some first watt amps maybe?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why don’t you look at integrateds as per your power requirements? NAF has 2a3s and 211s and 845s, then more than that is KR. The tubes are tall but you should be able to accommodate on one shelf. Master sound at lower budget

Reactions: gestalt

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Sorry, should have mentioned that I've tried a SIT-3 and didn't like it as much as the SET.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
As far as solid state amps go, try the Benchmark AHB2. One probably has more power than you need, but if you want more power, you can bridge them or use them to biamp your speakers and still put two of them side by side on a standard 19-inch-wide shelf if you don't mind them sticking out the sides of the rack a bit The specs say they are 11.04" W x 3.88" H x 9.34 " D - Including feet and binding posts. They run fairly cool.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What kind of output are we looking for :)

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
+1 to New Audio Frontiers (NAF). You might like the TRON Electric Convergence monos (they're compact) or Konus Audio Integrale 2000 for SS options.

DarrellC

Dec 15, 2019
I'm a tube guy, but I have to tell you the AGD Tempo is pretty impressive and fits what you are looking for.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
The Simaudio MOON 330A is a great bang for the buck audiophile amp.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Hi all. I am of course severely biased as I am the importer of the Westminster Rei Class A monos into the US.
There are many members who agree that the Rei monos are among the finest amplifiers available regardless of space limitations. The Rei post link is here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/re-imagining-class-a-amplification.34468/

$30k buys you a set of amplifiers that will drive anything, go head to head on build and SQ with offerings up to 3X the price. Add the new Lampi Baltic 4 with a volume control and enjoy some end game audio on a relative budget!

See a recent install with Nola monitors with Rei on the top shelf. Pre is a VAC Reference and DAC a Lab 12.

Reionshelf.jpg

Reactions: LampiNA

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
One more suggestion I have experience with. This outstanding and affordable amplifier. Superb build and SQ assuming 50 watts per/channel will suffice. Based on the well respected DNM circuit and made in the US.

Resolution Audio Cantata integrated amplifier.

Attachments

• IMG_2677-resolution-audio-Cantata-c50-Amplifier-small.jpg
    IMG_2677-resolution-audio-Cantata-c50-Amplifier-small.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you all! These are some great suggestions. I'm going to definitely look into them, although $30k is a bit out of my range.

Meanwhile I popped in a Scott 222C and holy cow. I'm getting so much of what I want out of this amp (although admittedly the resolution isn't what it is with SET) even using the pre section instead of my Lamm. I know it's all about matching, so obviously something is clicking with the EL84s and my Diatones.

Fun hobby!

Scott222c.jpeg

Reactions: mtemur and gleeds

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
And one more affordable and superbly built amplifier. A shelf size beauty from Trafomatic 2x 25 watts,
A modern day Scott?

Trafomatic.jpg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Westminster REI? Seems like its been hugely well received as a SOTA player, and it is also diminutive relative to many amps, especially other Class A amps.

Reactions: gleeds

Mr Peabody

Oct 9, 2022
Another option might be the Bel Canto E1X or E1 Black depending on the budget. I auditioned an E1X and it's a nice departure in sound from prior models, it's more pleasant to listen to IMO.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ayre and Bryston both make shelf-sized amps. Solid state only.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thank you all! These are some great suggestions. I'm going to definitely look into them, although $30k is a bit out of my range.

Meanwhile I popped in a Scott 222C and holy cow. I'm getting so much of what I want out of this amp (although admittedly the resolution isn't what it is with SET) even using the pre section instead of my Lamm. I know it's all about matching, so obviously something is clicking with the EL84s and my Diatones.

Fun hobby!

View attachment 104069
It's somewhat of a coincidence this amp has come up in your thread. I was discussing it not too long ago with he who shall not be named (ddk!) and we both agree it is one of the greatest amps ever made. We each owned them back in the day.

Their main engineer was an interesting guy. He could build a radio, an amp or a bomb, your choice! (seriously- the guy worked on munitions for the Pentagon). How can you not love a guy like that! You have to wonder what he could do today with better and quieter components.

Marvin Hobbs, a B.S.E.E. and Ph.D. in Engineering Management, has retired from a long and distinguished career in the radio and electronics industry. Prior to joining Scott Radio Labs, he was a receiver design engineer for Zenith Radio, the Delco Radio Division of General Motors and E.K. Cole, Ltd. in England. In 1939, he became the Chief Engineer of Scott Radio Laboratories in Chicago, Illinois. Marvin served with the Radio and Radar Division of the War Production Board during World War II in 1942 and part of 1943. Afterward, he returned to Scott Radio until 1947. In 1947, he joined RCA and worked on its Berkshire program, followed by a role in 1950-1952 as Chief, Electronics Division, Munitions Board, the Pentagon. From 1952 until his retirement from Bell Telephone Laboratories in 1982, he held various technical and management positions in industry. Mr. Hobbs has done consulting on telecommunications and has written ten books on radio and electronics.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Um, wow. That could be perfect
That's the Premise. It's a wonderful amplifier. One can switch between triode and ultra linear. When ordered with the headphone output you get a true 3w triode which is more powerful than most stand-alone headphone amps. The EL84 has been a tad maligned by high-end makers. Part of the reason I believe is that few have ever tried to design an all out amp using the little tubes, as opposed to the omni-present 300B, or other popular larger bottles. Comparatively the little bottles are well, less sexy visually. Fortunately Sasa Cokic of Trafomatic was contracted years ago to make a pair of EL 84 mono-blocks (subsequently named the Kaivaylas) without thought to cost. The result was learning every facet of the EL84 and how to squeeze the absolute best from it. At around $10k, they remain one of the all out best deals in audio I've ever come across...possessing some of the best traits of the 300b with more linearity, power and space.
The Premise is a integrated distillation of the Kaivaylas, (see pic below of the Kaivaylas)
ucarecdn.jpg

Here's a video of the Premise in early days (6 or 7 years ago). The video is dark at the onset but does brighten up at 1:55...production quality, not : ) The current Premise is better still. I always have one in house as its a great litmus test against vastly more expensive amps that come through the door. The little Premise sends more than a few packing. It has surprising bass and prat...great tone in triode etc. Certainly a tremendous amount of amp for the money.

Reactions: gleeds and Fishfood

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing