What are some of the top 845 Amplifiers you have heard?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Kingsrex, I'm really sorry to hear of your ongoing woes w the Audions. I know you've been really patient in sorting their initial issues, only to be presented w this problem.
Thanks, All my friend are telling me to run. But why. Where am I running too. It seems most all amps I have owned are a list of problems. Even the ones I bought new. I think this issue can be resolved pretty easy. And for not to much money. My tech is going to talk to Audion and see if there is a variable resistor or pot that can be put in series with my current bias resistor to allow fine tuning of any tube I put into play. In the end I hope to get 4 or so years out of these amps before moving to something else. They are good, but I don't see them as lifelong friends.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
What went wrong. I am having redplate issues with my amps. Only the Shuguang C works. I bought the Psvane ACME. Redplate. My tech says the amp is pushing 98 watts on the plate. 845 are suppose to be 100 watt plate dissipation tubes, so I should be ok. NOT.
Grant fidelity who sold me the amp says

M a x i m u m i s a n e x t r e m e w o r k i n g c o n d i t i o n f o r t u b e s . T u b e f a c t o r i e s a l w a y s r e c o m m e n d e q u i p m e n t m a n u f a c t u r e r s n o t t o d e s i g n t o u s e a t u b e u n d e r e x t r e m e c o n d i t i o n s c o n t i n u o u s l y .

H e r e i s A C M E 8 4 5 s p e c p a g e f r o m f a c t o r y :
h t t p : / / w w w . p s v a n e . c o m / e n / a c m e s e r i e s / 3 7 4 . h t m l

I m u s t s a y t h a t y o u r a m p i s p u s h i n g t u b e s v e r y c l o s e t o i t s e x t r e m e

Now I am trying to find the best way to bring the watts dowm. I wish the amps were manual bias. I don't like active bias. Not the way these guys do it. Just because a tube can dissipate 100 watts does not mean the tube is operating in the range it wants to operate in.

Anyhow, did you blow a tube and cause damage?
They just got very very hot and sounded horrible. Then the fuse blew. Since I didn't have another set of 845s on hand, I sent the amps back to Nagra for an overhaual. They acknowledged the plate issues with eh KR tubes, and essentially rebuilt my amps.

I still miss them. If anyone has a pair they want to donate to my cause, I'm happy to share my recipe for Lobster bisque with you in return.

airy

Jan 24, 2015
In my opinion before each writer answers his answer - he should define whether he lives with a SET amplifier or his impression is based on hearing on different occasions.
The reason is that as if one chose to live on a SET amplifier his reference point for the questions seems to be completely different from the reference points of other who heard SET amplifiers and did not choose to live with such an amplifier

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
I just bought a pair of Reference 3A Reflectors at Al M’s suggestion. Really dynamic transducers which I’m enjoying thus far. In assessing what amp would sound best with them, I decided this evening to pull out my old and trusted Bel Canto SET 40, an 845 single end triode which somehow puts out 40 powerful watts per channel with just two 845 tubes. Well, to my pleasant surprise this amp made these speakers sing with finesse and authority yet supplementing that power and control with all the sweet tonality and shimmering goodness that a good SET amp brings to the table. I had tried a PP 300b amp which at 22wpc didn’t inject enough get up and go into these 75 pound monitors. Solid state amps I tried sounded a bit too clinical and sterile. I think I’ve found the secret sauce for these speakers in the 845 amp. Now of course I’d love to try one of those more powerful 845 amps like the Mastersound monoblocks. Maybe down the road.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just bought a pair of Reference 3A Reflectors at Al M’s suggestion. Really dynamic transducers which I’m really enjoying this far. In assessing what amp would sound best with them, I decided this evening to pull out my old and trusted Bel Canto SET 40, an 845 single end triode which somehow puts out 40 powerful watts per channel with just two 845 tubes. Well, to my pleasant surprise this amp made these speakers sing with finesse and authority yet supplementing that power and control with all the sweet tonality and shimmering goodness that a good SET amp brings to the table. I had tried a PP 300b amp which at 22wpc didn’t inject enough get up and go into these 75 pound monitors. Solid state amps I tried sounded a bit too clinical and sterile. I think I’ve found the secret sauce for these speakers in the 845 amp. Now of course I’d love to try one of those more powerful 845 amps like the Mastersound monoblocks. Maybe down the road.
Give the Aries Cerat Concero 25 or 65 monos a try...plenty of that secret sauce...

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
...and which one do you prefer? 813/814 or 845?

Do you know the reason for this move?
Don't overlook the 211. I can't comment on it having had two 845-based amps (and a sublime PX-25), but many claim the 211 sounds superior though less powerful. Peter

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
The above question 813/814 or 845 is specifically about the Aries Cerat Concero power amp - there is no 211 ;)

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
Don't overlook the 211. I can't comment on it having had two 845-based amps (and a sublime PX-25), but many claim the 211 sounds superior though less powerful. Peter
There’s always the Cary 805 AE which gives one the choice of 845 or 211 with a flick of the switch. I’ve never heard the amp.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
@ morricab .... ;)
Hello gents

It was only for tube availability purposes. We have as policy to have in reserve stock at least 10 pairs of tubes for every unit produced.So we decided to slow down , and keep 813 units as limited edition pieces for the Genus and Concero Series, and as standard only for our top designs.

We re-designed some of our amps to use the 845, and only supply them with Elrogs.

The 814 is still used as driver to these amps.

Cheers
Stavros

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Audion Black Shadow Monos with Nos Tubes RCA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing