What are the best speakers you've ever heard ?

Best system I listened in my life at home of my friend, system made by Yamamura
Is a 6 way with driver ALE Super,100 kg each and 180 kg the bass driver
A special edition Yamamura asked Mr Endo to do

Horn are Ale but modified by Yamamura to cut the colored sound and vibration had this horn.

Amp are in current made by Yamamura,30 watt transistor amp mono

The transparence, natural sound, power and dynamic are unattainable from any system.

Also ESD system listened last year and in 2019 in Munich is ridiculous near this, mainly for natural sound

Now thats an all out effort , true Bending wave listening :)

Not necessarily "the best" but probably the best for their size were Piega Coax 711 speakers I spent a memorable afternoon listening to in a showroom in the Netherlands a few years ago.

Having been looking for speakers and listening to several at various UK showrooms, this was an unplanned visit while on holiday. Having recently auditioned a pair of similarly-sized Magicos (not sure of the model) I was astonished at how much better the Piegas sounded. The bass was from 4 relatively small drivers (Magico had 2), but was far fuller and deeper than I thought possible, and the mid and top were delivered from a coaxial ribbon array. If I was in the market for a slim floor-stander, I'd seriously consider this speaker - and save money compared with the similarly-constructed (aluminium enclosure) Magico. Still costly though. As I was then using Avantgarde speakers and very content with them, I upgraded to Duo XDs in the end.

Many years ago I first heard a fully correctly installed and set up pair of Dali Skyline. The room was perfect for it. It was amazing.

And HERE is the thing. IF you Get the room and speaker combo nailed. Size positioning all of it.
Well it does not matter what IF it is cheap or megabuck. It is the moment and Music .
So, yeah. Best ever!
Other than that. Best was Ruark Excalibur. But the rom was wrong, so no… that excludes it.

Its not what speaker is best! It the package!
Can be cheap, hyper expensive. No garantie!

Wilson XVX and VS Ultra 11’s are the two best I’ve personally heard.

George

Probably these:

32917352997_807c911445_b.jpg

Reactions: bonzo75
If we are speaking of horns, Destination Audio Vista 3-way Sam Wisnewsi's refresh on classic JBL drivers. Unfortunately, due to the number of man-hours needed to build the hand-made wooden horns, production is limited to a few pairs yearly, but it is well worth the wait! The Vista can fill the most significant room with unlimited dynamics, density of tone, and a spectacularly real sense of live music playing in a hall.

For planar lovers, the recent tri-amplified active crossover system we did for Cyrus in Spokane, WA, using Clarysis Auditorium ribbons speakers, was also really, really good and, at the moment, transported us to real music in real space, especially on piano.

In dynamic designs, Von Schweikert Ultra 7s have dual 12" VSA Shockwave subwoofers in either 12" or 15" versions, depending on room size. These speakers play to do it all in any genre or scale of work and in a size that can fit into any reasonably sized listening room.

Scott Walker Audio in Orange County, CA, has them hooked up to Solution amplification with MSB digital, top-end vinyl, and tape.

Best of all, each of the speaker systems referenced cost well under $250,000!!! A princely sum but for those who are seeking the finest in music reproduction.............

Attachments

• Vista-system.jpeg
    Vista-system.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DA-Vista-horn.jpg
    DA-Vista-horn.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 14
Wilson XVX and VS Ultra 11’s are the two best I’ve personally heard.

George
Any views on how the 2 compare to each other? I imagine you did not have the side by side...so any guestimates are welcome based on your experience with each.

Any views on how the 2 compare to each other? I imagine you did not have the side by side...so any guestimates are welcome based on your experience with each.
They were definitely not side by side and it was more than a year apart in totally different environments. I just remember being truly amazed listening to each setup. The Ultra 11’s were with VAC Statement gear and the XVX’s with Boulder gear. Both systems were very dynamic and seemed to recreate music with no hint of strain and were both very transparent. In either case the speakers disappeared into the room. I think any differences that I remember could just as likely be room and electronics driven but the Ultra 11’s seemed to be a bit more detailed and drew images with a sharper pencil and the XVX’s seemed to have a larger soundstage in all directions with a bit more air. Again these are my guesstimates based on listening to each system over a year apart so take this totally with a grain of salt.

Those are the two speakers on my short list for when I decide to upgrade my Alexx’s … still trying to figure out my digital right now. :cool:

George

They were definitely not side by side and it was more than a year apart in totally different environments. I just remember being truly amazed listening to each setup. The Ultra 11’s were with VAC Statement gear and the XVX’s with Boulder gear. Both systems were very dynamic and seemed to recreate music with no hint of strain and were both very transparent. In either case the speakers disappeared into the room. I think any differences that I remember could just as likely be room and electronics driven but the Ultra 11’s seemed to be a bit more detailed and drew images with a sharper pencil and the XVX’s seemed to have a larger soundstage in all directions with a bit more air. Again these are my guesstimates based on listening to each system over a year apart so take this totally with a grain of salt.

Those are the two speakers on my short list for when I decide to upgrade my Alexx’s … still trying to figure out my digital right now. :cool:

George
Thank you! Interesting notes. Good to read.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu