What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Will - I spent the last 3 years being trained in this lost art form - my teacher is 90, which says a lot about the “lost” but boy does he know the art. I make a lot of conventional bowls, pens, platters, vases, hollow forms as well as horns. I was trained using original tools / chisels rather than the poor carbide scraping substitutes that produce a poor finish. I do segmented turning as well as from solid blanks like your lovely horns. My latest project also uses solid blanks.

Maintaining the integrity of a turning is very much part of the skills in construction especially for segmentation. However if one uses very stable kiln dried blanks rather than green wood, stability is extremely high especially if it is jointed to another substrate in a manner that prevents movement.

But to get to the heart of the question. There are ancient wood turnings that still have their full structural integrity so I wouldn’t be concerned about your lovely asset.

Finally there are modern means such as torrefying wood to improve stability as employed by OMA. Also the types of finishing used.
I am going to forward your response to my speaker builder. As I look at the craftsmanship of my horns up close, it has to be an absolutely fulfilling job once completed. Who know, maybe you will turn my next horns!!!!!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Take the compliment Marc, and you might start collecting those instead of tweaks

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Volti Audio Vittora...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Take the compliment Marc, and you might start collecting those instead of tweaks
I'll add those to my brickbat collection.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That was a compliment Marc. You are charming. I must be more charming than you then. :)
I'll tell my GF you think I'm charming. She might wrinkle her nose on hearing that.

Reactions: Bobvin

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Interesting...a new flagship speaker? Or is that still your Contendo?
Hi, not the flagship, Contendo remains at the top. New Aurora is fabulous nevertheless, extraordinary in every sense of this word. Must be heard to be believed. Also, relatively affordable.

Vess

Reactions: Argonaut

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thank you, Graham, for leaving any baggage at the door and getting deeply into this subject. I agree entirely with what you have written, indeed it make me realise I need to delve much deeper into the spiritual side of these things. I think I am beginning to connect and understand some of the philosophy you are communicating.

Any advice for me in terms of reading, studying or practice tbat you think relevant?
Bill I find a fantastic overlap in fundamental design process and traditional philosophy but I’ll avoid taking this excursion too far off the thread pathway… a deep end discourse into eastern design philosophy 101 is a trajectory that will very likely not fit so easily (or at all compactly :eek:) here. Will pm you some thoughts on it.

cheers
Graham

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
This thread is unusually interesting, enjoyable, articulate and at times even eloquent. As a life long hobbyist wood worker I understand the significance of wood and the feelings it evokes. However it has me me feel woefully inadequate because none of my horns are turned wooden horns.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, not the flagship, Contendo remains at the top. New Aurora is fabulous nevertheless, extraordinary in every sense of this word. Must be heard to be believed. Also, relatively affordable.

Vess
Thanks for the clarification!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Before I reply I will mention that I have a quasi-business relationship with OMA so we know where my biases are and I won't discuss the merits here. I'll mention a few contenders that haven't really been mentioned here and one is a sleeper that is also an excellent bang for the buck. I have heard all the horns I mention. Not mentioning vintage although they belong in the mix if you are looking.

Affirm Audio - heard these at Munich and considering the room they were in it could have been a disaster. It wasn't and it was a very positive experience.

Diesis Audio - I have heard their Roma model on several occasions and been impressed. Yes a little cheating but there's a horn there.

Blumenhofer. below the radar but good on both occasions I have heard them.

Now the one I would pick;

Martinon Audio Einhorn. These are quite simply leading contenders for an awesome audio award for me. They press all the right buttons for me and only have a few compromises. If you haven't been to any of his demos across the street from the Munich Show, well go next time you are there! By far one of the best audio bargains out there.

There are a couple of others but I either haven't heard them or it's been too long to retain a good impression.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Have always wanted to hear a Martion horn; great reminder!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Martinon Audio Einhorn. These are quite simply leading contenders for an awesome audio award for me. They press all the right buttons for me and only have a few compromises. If you haven't been to any of his demos across the street from the Munich Show, well go next time you are there! By far one of the best audio bargains out there.
How much is the Einhorn nowadays?
Was the Einhorn mated with a Cornerhorn?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Was the Einhorn mated with a Cornerhorn?
Not sure exactly the cost but I believe it's just above $20K including amps/crossover. The bass/corner horns were at the show but I am not sure if they are included in the price if I had to guess I would say yes. Depending on where you live it might be more cost-effective to get the horns without the bass cabinets and have them made yourself.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Was the Einhorn mated with a Cornerhorn

What Martion told me once at Munich (where he had some sort of stall or show outside, didn't get to hear his speaker) was that he designed speakers for the individual room. So he didn't have a standard so some could have a corner horn some not, some DRC with woofer in a separate position using delay, in case the room did not allow for a full on

Last edited:

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Experience Music by Jeffrey Jackson/Dave Slagle. Still not over listening to that system. Hopefully my retirement rig.
In the USA, these guys are a gem. Like I have always said, if I had all the money I would just call Slage up and have him build me a full kit.

Reactions: jazdoc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing