What Cables Are You Using With Atma-Sphere Gear & Why?

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

Pretty self explanatory topic but I'm curious. I've tried different cables in different locations in my systems and sometimes I can hear a difference and sometimes I can't.

Specifically, I'm interested in what are people using between their preamp and amp and why? What differences do you hear and if possible, assign a percentage difference to what you hear?

Just curious.

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
After trying a few experiments between the MP-1 preamp and the MA-2 amps we determined that there are differences between cables and they are significant. The good news is that the best sounding cable we have been able to find is regular quad-shielded mic cable. Cheap, cheap, cheap! In fact, anything that we have tried which would be considered an audiophile cable does more harm than good.

Save your cash and spend it elsewhere. I know Ralph says this and it's not that I don't believe him, I just wanted to have some fun and see if I could hear any difference. Yes I can - it just doesn't mean the sound is better.

There was a fellow on Audiogon a few years back who was using the same pre-amp and amp and he had some SUPER expensive, highly regarded cable and he did the same test and arrived at the same conclusion. Mic cable is the way to go.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Between MP-1 and MA-2s, yoiu're probably right. Speaker cables, on the other hand...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After trying a few experiments between the MP-1 preamp and the MA-2 amps we determined that there are differences between cables and they are significant. The good news is that the best sounding cable we have been able to find is regular quad-shielded mic cable. Cheap, cheap, cheap! In fact, anything that we have tried which would be considered an audiophile cable does more harm than good.

Save your cash and spend it elsewhere. I know Ralph says this and it's not that I don't believe him, I just wanted to have some fun and see if I could hear any difference. Yes I can - it just doesn't mean the sound is better.

There was a fellow on Audiogon a few years back who was using the same pre-amp and amp and he had some SUPER expensive, highly regarded cable and he did the same test and arrived at the same conclusion. Mic cable is the way to go.

And the cheap cable is?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And the cheap cable is?

As far as I remember Ralph Karsten was known to use Mogami Neglex 2534 between the MP1 and his OTL power ampliifer, using the 600 ohm connection.

Many years ago I asked his advice about speaker cables for my first generation MA2 and he referred very positively to my Transparent Audio reference cables, tuned to tubes. But he did not recommend the corresponding interconnect.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have said it before numerous times that Mogami makes one hell of an interconnect cable. They were designed to be used in balanced configuration and for super low-noise and rejection to EMI/RFI.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
...Mogami Neglex 2534...

I have this cable inserted in a couple of places in my rig...just ordered a pair of Mogami 3173 -- let's see if I notice anything :confused:

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Once again this year, Atma-Sphere electronics will be used with Sound Lab Majestic 845 full range electrostatic loudspeakers at THE Show in Las Vegas, room 4004 at the Flamingo.

The interconnects and loudspeaker cables will be Teo Audio's Liquid Cables, also used last year to great effect.
TAS Senior Reviewer Dick Olsher, who owned Sound Labs years ago, said it was the best he had ever heard Sound Labs, awarding it Best Sound (Cost No Object), saying:
"The Sound Lab Majestic 845 ESL partnered by Atma-Sphere's MA-1 OTL amps. Roger West is back on top with a full-range design capable of gorgeous tonality and exceptional musical realism."

There will be some pleasant surprises, so stop in if you are attending.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Synergistic Research and Cardas.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I use Acoustic Zen Silver Reference XLR inteconnect..good result..I also use Acoustic Zen Absolute power cord on the MA-1.

Hi,

Pretty self explanatory topic but I'm curious. I've tried different cables in different locations in my systems and sometimes I can hear a difference and sometimes I can't.

Specifically, I'm interested in what are people using between their preamp and amp and why? What differences do you hear and if possible, assign a percentage difference to what you hear?

Just curious.

luisma

Nov 13, 2018
Kind of an old thread, just got an ma-1 and mp-3 and just purchased some mogami XLR, let's see how it improves

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Get the non-quad Mogami and thank me later: Mogami w2549. Someone mentioned w3173 above, and this is (almost) a stereo version of w2549 but just slightly smaller gauge.

luisma

Nov 13, 2018
2549 better than the 2534 star quad? I mean not doubting you it is just I have heard otherwise

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yes. Better than quad. Thus the recommendation. Cheap enough to try both and form your own opinion though.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Hello,

I've used Cardas Golden Presence XLR between Rowland preamp and Atmasphere S-30 with good results. Very good tone and image.

luisma

Nov 13, 2018
Yes. Better than quad. Thus the recommendation. Cheap enough to try both and form your own opinion though.
Thanks, was reading and people agrees sound is more open and better with 2549 as long as there is no radio interference in which case the star quad is preferred for its application
Appreciate the input

luisma

Nov 13, 2018
Hello,

I've used Cardas Golden Presence XLR between Rowland preamp and Atmasphere S-30 with good results. Very good tone and image.
Possibly, but I am looking not to spend too much on cables in my opinion even though it does make a difference for the money spent I think is not that much, I have limited resources and I already over spend more than planned with the atmas

Thanks for the the feedback anyways

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
When I had MA-1s with an MP-1 my layout required long runs from my rack to amps. I like to keep speaker wire short and my rack well away from speakers. I used 30ft Mogami W2534 Neglex Quad microphone cable terminated with XLRs for preamp-to-amp connection; cost in '08 was $53 from Redco Audio. The Mogami worked quite well, maybe v. slight lack of focus in the upper-most registers.

I'd also read recommendations for Mogami P-02. Since that time looks like they changed some of their cable names/numbers and that no longer shows up on their Web site. Bazelio mentioned 2549 2 conductor which uses OFC wire - presumably the shield becomes the ground - is that suited for balanced?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing