What car comes with the most incredible sound system available

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
What car manufacturer supplies (stock or as available option) the best-sounding music playback system? Who makes it and what does it consist of, and what modifications to the vehicle are made to support that sound. Anyone have an opinion on this?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Going out on a limb you aren't including hybrid/electric that broadcast recordings of engine noise over the speakers.

Or to that end provides occupants a cabin tuned to allow pronounced real engine and tire burning sound effects. :p

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
Volvo offers as an option a B & W sound system. It's supposed to sound great but for 4k it better.

Reactions: Rensselaer

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What car manufacturer supplies (stock or as available option) the best-sounding music playback system? Who makes it and what does it consist of, and what modifications to the vehicle are made to support that sound. Anyone have an opinion on this?

As for the second element related to modifications. You generally lose a fair amount of usable interior space adding a dozen or more speakers. Which isn't necessarily reflected in the official figures. Model configurators are often very good at visualizing A??B changes.

Gross weight goes up but there is generally so much other wiring and componentry spaced out across the full body you don't notice impact to handling. Where you do notice is how soundproofing is applied to reflect a premium experience. That is something you need to hear for yourself to decide if it dampened road noise or improved how music is actively conveyed.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
The stock system in my 2022 Tesla Model S is incredible- the best I have ever heard. And, it has an integrated app for Tidal and Spotify. Made by Tesla.

Immersive Sound​

"A 22-speaker, 960-watt audio system with Active Road Noise Reduction offers immersive listening and studio-grade sound quality."

Believe it!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Porsche Burmester systems are excellent.

Reactions: Rensselaer

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
So, what do we have so far?
It is obvious that electric cars would be the quietest cars so best ones to evaluate sound systems in.

"rando" accurately pointed out however, that hybrid/electric cars may be broadcasting (fake) engine noise through the speakers. True, an AVAS (acoustic vehicle alert system) is now mandated in Europe (perhaps everywhere else as well) to warn pedestrians of the presence of the vehicle. It should only come into play when reversing or proceeding forward at less than 30 km/hr speed however, so on trips should not be a concern. how much wind and road noises will be heard is a different story. Unfortunately, I was unable to find "cabin noise levels at different speeds" to compare for the following cars so comparing sound systems without test driving is going to be impossible, however the nominees are as follows:

"loki1957" nominates the (electric) Volvo as B&W sound systems are available as an option.

"MtnHam" says the stock audio system in his Tesla S is the best he ever had.

"Mark38" voted for the Burmester 3D system in Mercedes (option or standard?)

"Lee" also supports the Burmester system, however he likes how it sounds in a Porsche.

I have heard the B&W sound system in an Audi once, better but not that much different to the stock Audi sound system (to me).
I've not heard a Burmester 3-D sound system but read that it consists of a more powerful amplifier with 21 speakers ("3-D"), but I fear that without some major electronic wizardry, that everything would sound like the sound engineer was Phil Spector, but if it did have the electronic wizardly to make it sound to the driver as if they were on stage with the band, what about the passengers?

That leaves Tesla, overpriced for the fit and finish inside I think, but perhaps the sound system makes up for it?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
That leaves Tesla, overpriced for the fit and finish inside I think, but perhaps the sound system makes up for it?

Actually, the Tesla Model S is a great car; no fit and finish issues in mine. The superb sound system is icin
Actually, it's the best car I've ever owned. No "fit and finish" issues in mine. The superb sound system is a bonus.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Don’t forget the auto TT ;)

E2FB7D56-166C-40C4-B1B5-8A3B2543F659.jpeg

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Reactions: Audire

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Actually, the Tesla Model S is a great car; no fit and finish issues in mine. The superb sound system is icin

Actually, it's the best car I've ever owned. No "fit and finish" issues in mine. The superb sound system is a bonus.
I am only suggesting you take a test drive in the lowest priced Porsche Taycan rear wheel drive EV, cheaper than the Tesla Model S, not as quick but similar miles per charge and handles better. Check out the fit and finish in the cabin and compare to your Tesla. I would be surprised indeed should you be convinced afterwards that the Tesla has better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That's what I've been told. Ironically, the Burmester in my Mercedes sounds like an AM radio. So disappointed.

I have heard in both a Cayenne and 911 and it is excellent. The Bose system in Porsche is really excellent too. I have one in my Cayman S. The Burmester has a bit more clarity.

Reactions: HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I have heard in both a Cayenne and 911 and it is excellent. The Bose system in Porsche is really excellent too. I have one in my Cayman S. The Burmester has a bit more clarity.
Sadly, my Cayenne is too old to have the Burmester as an option. The Bose is OK but nothing to brag about. I think with the optional cost for the Burmester, I should have just added on aftermarket components. It's easier to tie into the CANBUS or other OEM system to integrate fully. Even a low cost range from Morel, Focal, JL, etc. offer better sound reproduction. Like I said, the MB's Burmester is pretty crappy.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing