What cars are you looking forward to?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I like the Ferrari but it's super-car territory - as opposed to muscle car.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
what do you guys think of the BMW M2 vs. Cadillac ATS-V? I'm cross-shopping these two models. I don't like the M4 as its too big/expensive - I actually prefer the M3 sedan better, but require a coupe.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
what do you guys think of the BMW M2 vs. Cadillac ATS-V? I'm cross-shopping these two models. I don't like the M4 as its too big/expensive - I actually prefer the M3 sedan better, but require a coupe.

The owner of Vapor audio does some car reviews, or did, for magazines. He said the ATS-V is a great choice vs. M3/M4. He said he'd perhaps prefer it minus a few little things like the dash cluster was from something else and could look slightly nicer, a few slightly cheaper feeling things here and there.

My problem with ATS-V isn't the performance, it's the abysmal MPG. In 2016 I expect luxury and performance to be a whole package, and for cars that don't lay down 700hp, or even 500hp, it shouldn't be a big deal. GM did invent cylinder shut-off tech that allows the Vette to get very good gas mileage while having huge power.

You should consider the ATS-V is a bigger car. Also the M2 gets good MPG. Alas the xdrive doesn't come in manual, only the regular RWD does, so I may never get one. It's an ideal car for myself otherwise.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Caddies are horrid looking despite their great performance stats. Go Beamer...Nicer interior too.

Car manufacturers making specs I like do seem to have an obsession with style I think is awful... The ATS-V isn't my style personally but I think it's ok.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Car manufacturers making specs I like do seem to have an obsession with style I think is awful... The ATS-V isn't my style personally but I think it's ok.

If I were ever in the market for a Cadillac, it would be the CTS-V

2012_cadillac_cts-v_coupe-pic-4013616596736859119.jpg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
T
My problem with ATS-V isn't the performance, it's the abysmal MPG. In 2016 I expect luxury and performance to be a whole package, and for cars that don't lay down 700hp, or even 500hp, it shouldn't be a big deal. GM did invent cylinder shut-off tech that allows the Vette to get very good gas mileage while having huge power.

I agree with you, that's why I have eliminated V8s from consideration. However, with TT 6s here, gas mileage isn't that different - the M4/ATSV is the same even. the M2 appears to be slightly better.

I think the Caddies look great. If anything, the M2 looks more awkward in some angles. I've always wanted an M car, but have to admit Caddy has stepped up their game- the ATSV is pretty much universally described as a better drivers car. That's why I want to test drive one at least.

Here's a google doc I did with specs from a bunch of great historical and current, sports cars:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dbAST9TAxuQo4WaB8GPN1oZ3au4yS2AxKN2xPxXjwJM/edit?usp=sharing

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes the M2 sadly has s hint of grandma roadster in its looks; a bad mistake.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The cabilacs look like Transformers.
The big difference is 4 to 5 years or even 3 years down the road compare how well the cabilac is holding up to the bimmer. The cabilacs will be a rattle box in comparison.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The cabilacs look like Transformers.
The big difference is 4 to 5 years or even 3 years down the road compare how well the cabilac is holding up to the bimmer. The cabilacs will be a rattle box in comparison.

Right when your lease is up... :p

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I picked up a M4 Dec 2014 from a dealer with a buyer back out. Wasn't sure about the car with the twin turbo, but 18000 miles later, the car has been a joy. Used as a daily driver with several long trips in, car is perfect for both. More roomy and comfortable than my previous M3, and just got 28 mpg on a trip hitting 90mph regularly on the interstate. The car is Sakir Orange and wasn't sure about that either, but honestly, have had more compliments on the car than others , including a 2010 GTR. Track time coming up this summer will see its potential there. The car won't be the limit though :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Forgive me that this is a bit off topic but I am home for a few days . . . only in Beverly Hills do you see grandmas driving Porsche GT3s. Unbelievable.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron,
Having had and tracked a 2010 GT3 in the past, those are some lucky grandmas!!

Or extremely unlucky sons and grandsons that won't inherit them because Grandma who babies them so much they barely run right so she thinks it's crap and will trade it off for a Buick or something...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
She was not babying this. She was coming out of a free, underground public parking lot, and she bottomed the chin spoiler pretty hard driving onto the street after ascending the parking lot ramp.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
She was not babying this. She was coming out of a free, underground public parking lot, and she bottomed the chin spoiler pretty hard driving onto the street after ascending the parking lot ramp.

On her way to find a single tree in a field? :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing