What country has the best beer?

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
In Norway, we have only ONE really good beer/wino/spirits outlet chain, government funded and controlled. But, they stock just about any beer ever made, sort of.
I'm thinking the US of A is rather lacking in the beer diversity... From what I've read, you are lacking some 30 - 40 % of the Beer-rainbow "over there"...

Best beer: Microbrewery, City - Trondheim. A thick dark Ale, bar: Trondheim Micro brewery.
It was almost like a milkshake, perfect! I can not remember the name now, but it was perfect!

Best mainstream norwegian in a box: Ringnes Gold.
Best mainstream in a bottle: Aass Gold. Almost Aasgaard that...

Then we have a larger enthusiast brewery called Nogne O, or "naked Island" in The Kings old tounge.
They make some 10 - 20 different types, and they are FAR above the makes of Grolsh, Urquell and all those other Czeck or Polish or Dutch beauties.
It's the most expensive beer, just about,in a shop that is. And it is just amazing!!!

Imperial

beek

In Norway, we have only ONE really good beer/wino/spirits outlet chain, government funded and controlled. But, they stock just about any beer ever made, sort of.
I'm thinking the US of A is rather lacking in the beer diversity... From what I've read, you are lacking some 30 - 40 % of the Beer-rainbow "over there"...

Best beer: Microbrewery, City - Trondheim. A thick dark Ale, bar: Trondheim Micro brewery.
It was almost like a milkshake, perfect! I can not remember the name now, but it was perfect!

Best mainstream norwegian in a box: Ringnes Gold.
Best mainstream in a bottle: Aass Gold. Almost Aasgaard that...

Then we have a larger enthusiast brewery called Nogne O, or "naked Island" in The Kings old tounge.
They make some 10 - 20 different types, and they are FAR above the makes of Grolsh, Urquell and all those other Czeck or Polish or Dutch beauties.
It's the most expensive beer, just about,in a shop that is. And it is just amazing!!!

Imperial

I agree You wanna try to get that stuff here I could dig it.
I have had all those you mention except the last one.
The Most expensive was Scottish brew a grand a bottle they only made 1000 bottles & it sold out in a day, it was 55 Prrof. these 2 young guys did all their home work and determined that higher proof than that wasent beer anymore
Samiclaus & Helles are my Fav's.

beek

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Did not want to sift through 7 pages of replies, but the answer here is a no brainer. Belgium by a mile (this is coming from a dutchman). Between Duvel, Chimay, Rochefort, Leffe (and the list goes on and on), no country can hold a candle to Belgium beers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did not want to sift through 7 pages of replies, but the answer here is a no brainer. Belgium by a mile (this is coming from a dutchman). Between Duvel, Chimay, Rochefort, Leffe (and the list goes on and on), no country can hold a candle to Belgium beers.

Yes, but do you have any scientific proof that Belgium beers taste better than PBR? We have people on this forum who demand scientific proof of everything and beers should be no exception. If you can’t prove it, it’s just your opinion and wise people would prefer to spend much less money on a beer that lacks the cache of Belgium beers while tasting every bit as good. ;)

beek

Yes, but do you have any scientific proof that Belgium beers taste better than PBR? We have people on this forum who demand scientific proof of everything and beers should be no exception. If you can’t prove it, it’s just your opinion and wise people would prefer to spend much less money on a beer that lacks the cache of Belgium beers while tasting every bit as good. ;)

Agree with edorr, i guess mep? either dont like beers from Belgium or maybe U never had any . Believe me its not just the few here that agree Belgium makes the best beers look around spend some cash read a little.
This is from a Sicilian from brooklyn that has tasted over 300 brews from around the globe, some not Imports and smuggled in , where do U come from???
Do you have scientific data on smells or colors too? :cool:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Bill-I hope you realize my post was an attempt at humor at the expense of those on this forum who constantly demand proof of everything that we hear. I love good beers and have no doubt that Belgium beers would taste fantastic.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not to worry my friend. It's a risk I always take that people won't know when I'm kidding. Those who know me usually get it right away.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I don't necesarily disagree with your statement, but I'm personally more of a fan of the Czech beers, and some of the other Eastern European brewers. The Poles for instance have some wonderful beers.

beek

I don't necesarily disagree with your statement, but I'm personally more of a fan of the Czech beers, and some of the other Eastern European brewers. The Poles for instance have some wonderful beers.

I agree also here in NY there has been a flux of Polish & Eastern Eurpoean beers I tried them all but only a few make the mark, if its beer its food.................................

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Eastern European beers are mostly pretty run of the mill stuff. You have to go out of your way to find a real good one, and I have not come across a real exceptional one. With Belgium beer you have to go out of your way to find a mediocre one, and there are any number of excepetional ones. Read this interesting economist article on Belgium beer.

http://www.economist.com/node/21541708

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
For pilsners and mass-market beers in general, Germany - beautifully crisp and refreshing.
For everything else, and without a shadow of a doubt, Belgium.

I also find the US microbreweries to produce fantastic craft beers, I feel there is a lot of drive and passion over there.

As a Dutchman unfortunately I have to say I am most unimpressed with the local offerings! There are some smaller breweries (De Molen, La Trappe, etc) doing some very interesting things however.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing