What Did Your System Look Like 20 Years Ago???

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Jim, how does that old Trio system compare to what you now have in terms of musical/emotional engagement? I've always wanted to hear a well set up AG trio.
Peter,

It's been a bit over 20 years since that system was set-up. I tend to go along with Bob's description - especially the alive part.

And especially with those all-time fav Viva Aurora set amps.

Not sure I could make an accurate comparison with my RoomPlay Reference demos here, since the majority of visitors here do say it is/was their best listening experience ever.

And not long after that setup at Bob's was our demo of the TRIOs & BASSHORNs at the 2003 San Francisco Stereophile show when - after EVERY demo for three days - the entire audience (30-40 listeners) stood up and applauded.

Robert Harley and Srajan Ebaen separately covered it for their mags and still mention it occasionally, and honestly speaking, I never heard such an emotional reaction to a demo before that show, nor after....

Musical Engagement exemplified!!!

Reactions: PeterA and Rhapsody

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
Y2022, I had a British sourced system. Nottingham Analog Hyperspace TT with Dynavector XX1, Exposure 9,14, 4DR electronics, Pass Xono phono, Living Voice Avatar speakers. A very fun and lively system that made me want to get up and dance while listening to pop and ballet.
However it was far from quiet. In fact, it had a background hissss that would have made a 2m long King Cobra proud.

But the fun part made me forget about the hiss and listening to lyrics. I just felt the music.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
Y2022, I had a British sourced system. Nottingham Analog Hyperspace TT with Dynavector XX1, Exposure 9,14, 4DR electronics, Pass Xono phono, Living Voice Avatar speakers. A very fun and lively system that made me want to get up and dance while listening to pop and ballet.
However it was far from quiet. In fact, it had a background hissss that would have made a 2m long King Cobra proud.

But the fun part made me forget about the hiss and listening to lyrics. I just felt the music.
Oops typo. 2002

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Twenty years ago certain things were better, others not
*I had a bigger room (around 45m2)
Genesis V speakers modified (per A. Nuddel's instructions) th-2332750550.jpeg
vor_kraftquelle_600x262_1038.jpg rg4mk5mono_1038.jpg Symphonic Line Klangquelle pre and RG3 pre both w/ phono, CAT Ultimate with phono (I liked the CAT more). SL RG4 monos
th-553499498.jpeg Simon Yorke S4, CLearaudio Praedikat cartridge
cdplayer_600x399_1038.jpg SL Reference CD player
(Pics are off the Net, I cannot locate my own from that time)
The speakers are gone, so is the Simon Yorke, all the pre's, and the CDP. My present cdp only serves as a transport and I rarely listen to CDs any more. I now only have the big Pro-ject with the 13' arm. The SL monos grew into Kraft and the digital front end is the Ideon Absolute Epsilon, with (soon) the Time reclocker.
The room is smaller now, but that's fine: I figure I am fortunate to actually have a dedicated room to listen to my music. All's well!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Peter,

It's been a bit over 20 years since that system was set-up. I tend to go along with Bob's description - especially the alive part.

And especially with those all-time fav Viva Aurora set amps.

Not sure I could make an accurate comparison with my RoomPlay Reference demos here, since the majority of visitors here do say it is/was their best listening experience ever.

And not long after that setup at Bob's was our demo of the TRIOs & BASSHORNs at the 2003 San Francisco Stereophile show when - after EVERY demo for three days - the entire audience (30-40 listeners) stood up and applauded.

Robert Harley and Srajan Ebaen separately covered it for their mags and still mention it occasionally, and honestly speaking, I never heard such an emotional reaction to a demo before that show, nor after....

Musical Engagement exemplified!!!

I have to say, that in the last 20+ years I have sold a LOT of systems/gear. If I look back to one fundamental reason that I have been successful over the last few decades it was that I met Jim.

I had been building audio systems for 30 years prior to meeting Jim. I thought I knew what I was doing at the time.

When I went to Jim's home in Georgia to hear his Duo/Audiopax system I was stunned at the sound. I distinctly remember asking Jim how in the world he got "his sound"???

Jim said it was 85% the interface between the speakers and the room, 10% electronics and 5% cables/accessories. When I heard that my initial thought was "he must be crazy". Little did I understand that Jim had mastered how to make GREAT SOUND even way back then with his formula.

Jim then, not so long after my visit to his home, at my place in Manhattan, taught me to stay up ALL NIGHT, measuring and setting up systems properly. It was like audio "boot camp". I wanted to go to sleep so bad, but Jim would say no, we have to measure it one more time.

I can never thank Jim enough for sharing with me his methodologies, which have served me very well over the years and continue to serve me daily. I owe a lot to Jim Smith.

Thank you Jim.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
30 years ago I had Apogee Diva with active DAX crossover and 4 x Rowland M7 monos and the Consummate preamp incl Riaa and a Basis Ovation with Airtangent Reference and a Lyra cart and a Day Sequerra
then 3 pairs of WA Watt/Puppy and then AG Trio entered the scene in 2000

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
30 years ago I had Apogee Diva with active DAX crossover and 4 x Rowland M7 monos and the Consummate preamp incl Riaa and a Basis Ovation with Airtangent Reference and a Lyra cart and a Day Sequerra
30some years ago I had Diva/DAX with four VTL 300's. LOVED that system. I think I had an AR SP11 pre, with a Linn LP12 and a Well Tempered TT at the time.

trombonist

Jun 27, 2019
Oh this is not quite 20 years ago (2014, but most of the equipment was older!)), and such a poor pic, but here is my Monitor Audio GR10, driven by an Bedini 150MkII, fed by an Oppo 103 stereo out vs surround into a pair of KEF rear channel ceiling speakers, and Monitor Audio Silver center channel, driven by 3 of 5 channels of the Rotel RMB1075 amp, and lower end supported by a Paradigm 2200 sub .. and Sprinkles of AQ wires and Shunyata cords.

All this set in the shallow "L" end (14'w x 20' deep) of a solid well damped basement.

It had some great resolving moments, evolution on the way to better things!

Attachments

• Audio 2014 0813142111 Bedini Oppo MA Pardigm.jpg
    Audio 2014 0813142111 Bedini Oppo MA Pardigm.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 5

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Al,

I would not say that at all. I loved the Trios, even the Unos and Duos. I migrated to the Diesis horns as they sound more grounded and real to me, with about 85% of the alive sound sound that I got from the AVs.

The Avantagardes sound more ALIVE to me than most things that I have heard, but not necessarily "real" . Maybe a bit too much aliveness. Although give me a pair of Trios/BHs today and I would be a happy camper.

I would never be without a pair of full range ribbons in my life. I truly love the Alsyvox, but that goes back to the 80's when I loved the Apogees. I think I owned six different pairs of Apogees in the 80's and 90's, The Alsyvox were like "living in a past that I loved", except even better with 94db efficiency.

The Bayz omni directional also replaced my infatuation that I had for MBLs in 2003 when I had the 101s. BUT so hard to drive. The Bayz again at 94 db float my boat for the omni room encompassing sound field.

Oh yeah, cone speakers. Since I got the Magico A5's I have a new appreciation for cone speakers and look forward to the incoming M9s.

I'm the same way with cars. I LOVE THEM ALL, if they are early 50's to mid 60's, (artworK) I can never pick one of them that I prefer. Love them all, just like all of the speakers that I have experienced.

I also appreciate pretty much all of the other speakers that exist around the planet and are represented here on WBF by all of the users.

Oh, yes, I'm like that with guitars too:) Very fickle I am.
Hi Bob,
what do you mean by diesis sounding more “grounded“ than Avantgarde? Thanks

PS. Talking about audio terms is like dancing about architecture. I hope this doesn’t devolve into another “natural sound” discussion :)

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob,
what do you mean by diesis sounding more “grounded“ than Avantgarde? Thanks

PS. Talking about audio terms is like dancing about architecture. I hope this doesn’t devolve into another “natural sound” discussion :)
Hi Caesar,

The Avantgarde's TO ME sound VERY ALIVE. But at times certain instruments don't sound "real" as in tonality. The Diesis make all voices and instruments sound very real, (an Acoustic guitar or a violin sound natural and real) and also "alive", although NOT as "alive" sounding as the AV's. Of course ymmv:)

Edit: This was "my system" (room, electronics, cables, my ears etc) 22 years ago that I am referring to. Nothing to do with a well set up Avantgarde Trio/BH's would sound like today. I have not heard a well set up set of Trios/BH's other than at a show last year in a non-ideal set up, so my comments are just based on my opinion of my system 20+ years ago vs what I hear from Diesis today. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
This was 16 years ago. It replaced the Tandberg 2060, Rega Planar 3, Proceed CD Player and Revel M20 speakers that I had for the 4 years before it.

DSC00341 (1).JPG

Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing