What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Not sure what you want us to comment on but yes one can hear the character of a system in some of these videos. In this case the bass; low, mid and upper bass is weak and the horns are nasal, you hear it as soon as the woodwinds come in. I wont comment on having to see your crotch, please point the camera at the system next time :p!

david

Yes, I hear that nasal tone as well. Could it be the recording rather than the system?

Ked: one of your better videos, for sure. At least by sound ;).

Yes, I hear that nasal tone as well. Could it be the recording rather than the system?

Ked: one of your better videos, for sure. At least by sound ;).
That's clearly horn nasality I'm quite familiar with it but the lack of bass can have a number of causes aside from the speakers.

david

My comments are limited to Ked’s recording thats why I wrote I can’t attribute the bass deficiency to anything specific, it could be the recording.

Hi David, there's no doubt that Edit: Ked's video is compromised. But perhaps not as badly as one might have expected...

Here are two spectra of the music (between 2:15 and 3:00 minutes):

Scheherazade 1.JPG

Scheherazade 2.JPG

The first is the original 16/44.1 file and the second Ked's video (audio extracted from video). I think his video is surprisingly good... considering it was taken on a phone sitting on his lap at the listening position, well below ear level.

If you listen to the original file and then to Ked's video on, say, a good pair of headphones, it's clear that his video is a reasonable representation of what is actually on the original file. The essence of the music is there.

But as I said before, the real insight for me from the video wasn't really about how the music sounded, but more about how much Ked was enjoying listening to the music. Surely, that's what a good system is all about, no?

Mani.

Last edited:
And it could be the Tidal too. I am very familiar with this recording but on vinyl and tape Analog Production. To be honest I listened a few times I thought it was a different recording to the tape and vinyl I have. There could be an alteration when the digitized it. The draw-into-music was there even when listening to Ked's video. I would probably rock my head if I was there. But if listening analytically, I found homogeneity in sound. Each instruments has less integrity less standing out on their own. Earlier comment I used the word less vivid but that was to be polite and give respect to potential of the system. I pointed my finger to the front and Tidal streaming.

All you guys please give opinions on the same recording playing on an all out assault system on digital. You can see the gears in the video.

All you guys please give opinions on the same recording playing on an all out assault system on digital. You can see the gears in the video.

That sounds very close to my presentation and has the clearer string section and more liveliness while still retaining enough woodiness. I’m sure it also has the bottom end thump in real life, just not picked up by the mic.
I prefer the XRCD rip to the Qobuz HiRes (probably downsampled from the DSD). Thought the SACD was too soft.

Blue58

Reactions: Hieukm

Hi Hieukm,

This video lost all the ambient. You only hear instruments. Maybe different recording?

Tang

Reactions: Hieukm
Hi Hieukm,

This video lost all the ambient. You only hear instruments. Maybe different recording?

Tang

Dear Mr Tang,

It comes from this qobuz recording. I would very like to receive your opinions.

Dear Mr Tang,

It comes from this qobuz recording. I would very like to receive your opinions.

Hieukm, I stopped listening early because there is too much info lost. Ambient, nuances all gone like there is a vacuum cleaner cleaning up all background. Only sound of instruments pop up. You can go back to Mani's video to listen to ambient. This should be the same album as his but Tidal vs Qobus.

Tang

Hieukm, I stopped listening early because there is too much info lost. Ambient, nuances all gone like there is a vacuum cleaner cleaning up all background. Only sound of instruments pop up. You can go back to Mani's video to listen to ambient. This should be the same album as his but Tidal vs Qobus.

Tang
Thank you Mr Tang. Maybe my friend small room or without a proper pre amp factor cant portrait the recording ambience so well. He is curious to learn to improve further and thankful for your opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing