What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Why will this not happen when you somebody visits you and he puts out comments without the video? I really don't see any difference in the two scenarios. At least video will accompany comments. It never happens someone puts out only the video. Video + comments > only comments

Of course that can happen also. That is why I described it as a risk. I think taking a video of someone's system and then posting it without permission is rude. I would hope anyone sitting in my listening seat would ask me before taking a video. It is not honorable behavior, and there are risks involved if people then form judgments. This happens without videos also, certainly. To minimize the risk, I try to know something about the behavior of my guest beforehand, and this is often made easy by simply observing his past actions. There is little that can be done to prevent private conversations, but that is well understood. Some people don't seem to mind either. It all depends.

Reactions: christoph and Al M.
Of course that can happen also. That is why I described it as a risk. I think taking a video of someone's system and then posting it without permission is rude. I would hope anyone sitting in my listening seat would ask me before taking a video. It is not honorable behavior, and there are risks involved if people then form judgments. This happens without videos also, certainly. To minimize the risk, I try to know something about the behavior of my guest beforehand, and this is often made easy by simply observing his past actions. There is little that can be done to prevent private conversations, but that is well understood. Some people don't seem to mind either. It all depends.

Hi, after I took the videos, I played back a couple to Mani at his place on his soundbar. I played him others from universum and realized his taste. I had already decided to write a positive report of Mani's system. I chose scheherazade because I was blown away in the room and by the video and decided to blind test it because it was DRC and digital and I knew I would come across typical biases. I sent him scheherazade video before I posted it here and he said it amazing how well my phone captures the essence of the system. I also knew that if I posted it here, there would be many positive comments which would make any owner feel good. One person is looking to buy this speaker based on that video alone. In fact I told him given his smaller room, it is a challenge

Last edited:
Listen from around 12:20. Every live orchestra recording you can hear the air the quietness of the room that you can feel or sense the "volume" of the room..from Youtube. It is not just dead quiet background and has not enough subtleties to sense the venue volume. Some systems are good at approximating that while some is less good, but you could be amaze how a simple mobile phone can capture that too even in a system room.. on youtube. One also might argue to hear the ambient of the system room not the venue of recording. For this Scheherazade I have also heard a Magico M3 system portraying the "volume" of the venue so very well during the quiet passage and at the break out of some wind instruments.

Reactions: sujay and Al M.
from time to time i read comments about system music video's; and the implications of those who don't participate in commenting on said video's, or don't offer any video's of their own. for myself, i wholly support and respect those who are involved with video's, and when i do take the time to listen mostly enjoy them and get something from them. i even invested in a better mic to allow me to take proper video's.

alas; i seem to never get around to actually doing it. and so far don't have enough interest to get involved with them. that could change, or maybe not. not that anyone cares. only i don't want my lack of participation to be interpreted for any more than that. i see video's as simply fun i'm not yet doing. nothing negative and i respect there are things to be learned from them.

from time to time i read comments about system music video's; and the implications of those who don't participate in commenting on said video's, or don't offer any video's of their own. for myself, i wholly support and respect those who are involved with video's, and when i do take the time to listen mostly enjoy them and get something from them. i even invested in a better mic to allow me to take proper video's.

alas; i seem to never get around to actually doing it. and so far don't have enough interest to get involved with them. that could change, or maybe not. not that anyone cares. only i don't want my lack of participation to be interpreted for any more than that. i see video's as simply fun i'm not yet doing. nothing negative and i respect there are things to be learned from them.

Mike, imo there are no implications. Some systems suit videos more than others. Some videos are more representative than others. The thing is, does the poster think the video is representative? I take videos of systems I visit and play them back. Some represent the sound I heard. Some don't. But when I post the ones that I do, those who follow my videos like tang, hieukm, Bill, Jazzhead, and a few others get what I intended to tell them in words. They ask me back queries and they seem to be on point. It's rare, but they sometimes try to read the wrong things in the video, but this is much, much, lower than someone reading wrong things into someone's post. There are others who say they videos can never make sense and they don't care what I send. Yet, they seem to read the description in words.

Personally, I don't think videos will do justice to your system because it is a lot about the room the effect of which the video won't capture well.

What you might look at doing is getting analog feed directly into Tascam and posting files like Fremer of the differences of your carts and phonos etc

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Listen from around 12:20. Every live orchestra recording you can hear the air the quietness of the room that you can feel or sense the "volume" of the room..from Youtube. It is not just dead quiet background and has not enough subtleties to sense the venue volume. Some systems are good at approximating that while some is less good, but you could be amaze how a simple mobile phone can capture that too even in a system room.. on youtube. One also might argue to hear the ambient of the system room not the venue of recording. For this Scheherazade I have also heard a Magico M3 system portraying the "volume" of the venue so very well during the quiet passage and at the break out of some wind instruments.

Indeed, I compared three Mahler 3 recordings this evening and that big space was audible in all of them. Instruments just "ring through" and "breathe" differently in a big venue than in a smaller one.

Mike, imo there are no implications. Some systems suit videos more than others. Some videos are more representative than others. The thing is, does the poster think the video is representative? I take videos of systems I visit and play them back. Some represent the sound I heard. Some don't. But when I post the ones that I do, those who follow my videos like tang, hieukm, Bill, Jazzhead, and a few others get what I intended to tell them in words. They ask me back queries and they seem to be on point. It's rare, but they sometimes try to read the wrong things in the video, but this is much, much, lower than someone reading wrong things into someone's post. There are others who say they videos can never make sense and they don't care what I send. Yet, they seem to read the description in words.

Personally, I don't think videos will do justice to your system because it is a lot about the room the effect of which the video won't capture well.

What you might look at doing is getting analog feed directly into Tascam and posting files like Fremer of the differences of your carts and phonos etc

Listening to the three Schererazades, I'm struck by how much useful (maybe) information they convey.

I could see this as a preliminary way to demo different speakers and compare to the speakers you have in your system -- as long as you keep the variables somewhat under control such as the mic being used (smart phone) and the recording SPL level.

But it does seem to me the room does sometimes come through loud and clear in some videos so that could be an obstacle in getting a good comparison.

Reactions: bonzo75

why?

not that it has no value to someone.......but i'm trying to understand where that would take me? i'm open to connecting the dots of it, but not seeing it myself. outside the context of my system performance it seems a dead end. i have interest in how it sounds in my system.

if i have a hard time finding the energy and motivation to either do video's or consistently listen to them, hard to imagine me doing that without some sort of clear benefit.

i suppose i could save digital files over time to compare.:eek:

nope, not ever going to happen. i tried being a reviewer once.......for a few months. not my deal.

Last edited:
once in a while I post videos of my system playing something that I like to share as a special moment
sometimes it get´s through to someone and that´s enough for me
it´s a "sound picture" like any picture we put out on Fb or Insta...

I neither have the time nor the interest to put videos out to illustrate or document things and like ML, reviewing is not for me.....I´m not enough of a diplomat :eek:

That would be really cool if Mike could face it. Would be great to hear the DD, Idler, and belt straight from the preamp on the same track.

why?

not that it has no value to someone.......but i'm trying to understand where that would take me? i'm open to connecting the dots of it, but not seeing it myself. outside the context of my system performance it seems a dead end. i have interest in how it sounds in my system.

if i have a hard time finding the energy and motivation to either do video's or consistently listen to them, hard to imagine me doing that without some sort of clear benefit.

i suppose i could save digital files over time to compare.:eek:

nope, not ever going to happen. i tried being a reviewer once.......for a few months. not my deal.

Hi Mike,

I “liked” Ked’s comment about the recording of the 3 TTs from the preamp only because it would be really nice to hear them presenting the same track differently and because I don’t think it is likely I will be able to hear 3 reference TT setups like that ever in person unless Mik allows me back again.

It is a PITA to do it so fair play if you can’t be arsed because I would be the same lol.

Hi Mike,

I “liked” Ked’s comment about the recording of the 3 TTs from the preamp only because it would be really nice to hear them presenting the same track differently and because I don’t think it is likely I will be able to hear 3 reference TT setups like that ever in person unless Mik allows me back again.

It is a PITA to do it so fair play if you can’t be arsed because I would be the same lol.

Exactly. Mike, in audio there is nothing we can recommend to do it for you. You do this for us.

DG has a series of John Williams & Vienna Philharmonic videos of his concerts. I don't think any orchestra could play any better than Vienna Phil. Just superb. And Listen to that Hall. One day after Covid I will make a visit. So many modern classical recordings I found on youtube want me to do digital.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing