What do you use for a desk chair?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm curious what everyone uses. Like many I've been doing the work at home. I even made a new computer that I'm kind of deciding multiple monitor setup on. But my temp desk that can fit a full desktop with larger monitor is a dining room table. It's unsustainable, for my ass. A desk and chair is next.

So what's everyone using?

In the past I've liked non-gizmo chairs (lots of adjustments etc). I may go that way again with something "simpler" but I'm not sure. When I was a kid I used a lawn chair and it was actually pretty fantastic for the purpose until it snapped. At the office there's a ergo whatever chair for everyone, I'm fine sitting in those. I don't even bother to adjust them and feel fine with someone else's adjustments. At home they're kinda bulky to have around, is another factor. Plus they're ugly.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I thought my Office Depot desk chair was comfy until I started sitting in it all day. As it turns out, that chair is very ... not comfortable. So I'm going to break down and get an Aeron. I've used those in the past, and they never felt uncomfortable at any point that I can ever recall.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Human Scale Freedom Chair. It is the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in.

Reactions: Folsom

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Herman Miller.

Reactions: Folsom and jeff1225

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I switched to a standing desk because I never felt my posture was good while sitting and typing on a computer. I no longer have work-related back pain.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

David, how are you meant to fall asleep on those?

I use a wing chair at my desk. Much more comfortable than a normal desk chair.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, how are you meant to fall asleep on those?

I use a wing chair at my desk. Much more comfortable than a normal desk chair.
LOL, you're not supposed to. When I switched I was speeding 6-8 hrs straight at my desk and after year I just couldn't sit in any chair for an extended length of time so I switched and in time I learnt to balance and stretch with the ball too. I can control the suppleness too by controlling the air volume.

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Herman Miller Aeron (2) at home upstairs in the barn at my photo work station and at the Kitchen desk.

i also use 3 Aeron side chairs in my audio room behind my sofa which are super comfortable, and sit appropriately upright and tall for the 3rd row of seating, but don't roll or rotate. this is a great comfortable chair.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For you Aeron users, how easily can you lean back with adjustments? I'm not sure if it was an Aeron I sat in one time but I found it really hard to lean back and stay. If I'm going to go for a very adjustable chair, I want to be able to kick back and stay when I feel like it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Another chair to check out: Steelcase Leap (Version 2). As I was shopping, I noticed the picture of this chair and realized I've had this as an office chair at one point also. I never knew what it was called. But, I might like this better than the Aeron, now that I think back. It's also less bulky and lower priced.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
o_O I had no idea there was such a thing.
Just search for exercise ball chairs and there's a ton of them. You can even buy a base on it's own if you already have a ball. Quality wise I like Gymnic balls best. 65 cm without base but 52-55cm if you're going to use a base with it.

david

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Vitra Eames chair, one of those pieces of furniture I lusted after for many years, just so good..

Reactions: Folsom and HughP3

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For you Aeron users, how easily can you lean back with adjustments? I'm not sure if it was an Aeron I sat in one time but I found it really hard to lean back and stay. If I'm going to go for a very adjustable chair, I want to be able to kick back and stay when I feel like it.

Yes. The relative 'give' or stiffness of the lean-back is adjustable via a knob within hand's reach. All of the chair's adjustments can be made while sitting in the chair.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone tried the Human Scale Freedom Chair and not liked it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing