what gauge wire fits into Altec A7 speaker clips?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Hi all,

I bought my Altec A7's used. They came with a newly rebuilt crossover, wired with thick stranded wire that I couldn't get into the small holes of the speaker clips. I ended up stripping about 1/2" of insulation back, then using a knife cutting off >1/2 of the copper strands, twisting the remainder into a smaller diameter bit and inserting most of it into the small holes, per wire.

I am wondering if using solid wire from crossover to speaker would harm the sound in any truly audible way, and if not what gauge wire I should use (that will fit into these clips)? I wrote an email to Great Plains Audio, but they didn't respond. Any Altec A7 owners out there? What do you use?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hi all,

I bought my Altec A7's used. They came with a newly rebuilt crossover, wired with thick stranded wire that I couldn't get into the small holes of the speaker clips. I ended up stripping about 1/2" of insulation back, then using a knife cutting off >1/2 of the copper strands, twisting the remainder into a smaller diameter bit and inserting most of it into the small holes, per wire.

I am wondering if using solid wire from crossover to speaker would harm the sound in any truly audible way, and if not what gauge wire I should use (that will fit into these clips)? I wrote an email to Great Plains Audio, but they didn't respond. Any Altec A7 owners out there? What do you use?

Can you solder?? Instead of cutting strands you could pig tail it with a gage that fits. You could also crimp on pins that fit into the speaker clips.

Rob :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi all,

I don’t know how much your A7’s been modified but originally they came with 16 or 18 gauge tinned copper wires. Thicker wires while impressive in upper bass tend to flatten and homogenize the sound robbing the speakers of nuance and life. You might want to get a pair of original crossovers and try them out at least to know what yours are doing. Using heavy gauge wire to rebuild the crossovers isn’t a good sign.

david

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I don’t know how much your A7’s been modified but originally they came with 16 or 18 gauge tinned copper wires. Thicker wires while impressive in upper bass tend to flatten and homogenize the sound robbing the speakers of nuance and life. You might want to get a pair of original crossovers and try them out at least to know what yours are doing. Using heavy gauge wire to rebuild the crossovers isn’t a good sign.

david
Thanks David,

So,
1. solid copper in-speaker connecting wire has an obvious deleterious effect on sound?
2. original in-speaker hook up wire was 18 gauge, or 16 gauge (which?), stranded tinned copper, and fit into those small speaker clip holes?

is this correct?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks David,

So,
1. solid copper in-speaker connecting wire has an obvious deleterious effect on sound?
Yes!
2. original in-speaker hook up wire was 18 gauge, or 16 gauge (which?), stranded tinned copper, and fit into those small speaker clip holes?

is this correct?
You can use 16 or 18 depending on what can find that you’ll like, both will fit.
david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing