What have you done to improve the Sense of Weight in your system? What technology or upgrade is most impactful?

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
As for active systems apparently lacking weight, I wonder if that's something to do with the mind set and preferences of those who design active systems, or maybe a lack of distortion from the bass?

Why would passive crossovers add more distortion? The only potential source of distortion in a crossover is choke saturation but with air-cored chokes that is also eliminated. What chokes unavoidably cause is a drop in effective damping which, all things kept equal, could mean a slight bump in the bass frequency response.

Reactions: Tim Link

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Why would passive crossovers add more distortion? The only potential source of distortion in a crossover is choke saturation but with air-cored chokes that is also eliminated. What chokes unavoidably cause is a drop in effective damping which, all things kept equal, could mean a slight bump in the bass frequency response.
I can't say I know the answer. We need someone with extensive experience in both active and passive network design to chime in.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
It is extremely unlikely for cables to have any measurable effects on frequency response within the audible range. The only possible exception is a badly mismatched passive pre and high capacitance interconnect.
Ditto for all components with the exception of a phono pre or a nos dac. And of course a high output impedance tube amp. 0.4db variation for "normal", well functioning components is just out of the question.

For some not very clear reason active systems tend to lack weight ime.

Active speakers systems with built in amps or active systems with dedicated separate amps?? Weight as in low bass or impact or both??

Rob :)

Last edited:

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Active speakers systems with built in amps or active systems with dedicated separate amps?? Weight as in low bass or impact or both??

I don't see why it couldn't all be had at once.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I don't see why it couldn't all be had at once.
OK I can see your point, The reason I asked is I have an all active system and it's got more than enough weight and impact. It's a traditional separates set-up so dedicated amps for each driver pair. I can see a modern active system getting into issues at high listening levels simply because it's all in one cabinet and that is going to put limitations on power output capacity and cooling just to name two potential issues.

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
OK I can see your point, The reason I asked is I have an all active system and it's got more than enough weight and impact. It's a traditional separates set-up so dedicated amps for each driver pair. I can see a modern active system getting into issues at high listening levels simply because it's all in one cabinet and that is going to put limitations on power output capacity and cooling just to name two potential issues.

You mean all the amps in one cabinet? That's what I've got, and it limits me to 50 watts per channel. I'm using a Cambridge Audio receiver that claims it can run a full 300 watts with all 6 channels delivering 50 watts each simultaneously. My input levels from the DACs on the digital crossover are lower than typical line level and EQ'd down across much of the spectrum so in reality probably 15 watts is all I could deliver per any one channel with the volume turned up full blast and a minus zero dB signal. My speakers are all horn loaded and I don't tend to listen too loudly. I'd be curious to try separates like you have, which I could try by using the pre-amp outputs on the receiver, starting out by just putting the bass cabinets on an outboard amp and see if that does anything I like. I'd say the weight in my setup is just about right to my ears, but the impact is not the best I've heard, and I assume that's because the bass has some muddiness in the room which I have measured. I don't completely rule out the possibility that a better amp could improve it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing