What is going to be your endgame speaker?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

My endgame speaker will be vintage Western horn.

I had listened to Western horn sytem of Mr Chung, owner of Silbatone around 20 times at his home in Korea.

But unfortunately it is very hard to get Western horn sytem in good condition.

Also they are very costly 200k$ and up.

Now I have four sets of excellent speakers (Scaena, Altec, Lansche, Vaughn Cabernett).

I had lived with Lansche 4.1 from 2006 to 2021.

It give very pristine treble due to plasma tweeter and reasonably deep bass and dynamics due to two 10 inch active drivers.

It may be better if this speaker find more time of playing at someone else's home.

But since I had used it for 15 years, I may want to keep it as my lifetime souvenir.

Shall I let it go or keep it for my lifetime so that my son will sell it as estate sale in the future.
;)

This is a sound from bi amped (using active crossover) Altec A7 augmented by two Scaena 18 inch subwoofers.

After I got Altec A7, I got enamored by live and realistic dynamics of it.

It also give lot of details.

Thus I switched from Lansche4.1 to Altec A7 on 2021.

But after I started playing Scaena 3.2 on 2022, I got astouned by wide and deep soundstage and no distortion out of it.

After adding pair of Rel 31 subwoofers, it sounds aplomb.

Scaena also play vocal music with nuanced details.

Thus unlesss I get vintage Western horn system in the future, Scaena 3.2 augmented by Rel 31 subwoofers will be my temporary end game speaker.
:)

But I also plan to play Altec A7 and Lansche 4.1 after setting them as second system.

They also have lot of good things giving different kind of flavors.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

Hate to say none of those monsters. I am a 2 way stand mount kind of person. Smaller listening space and love the intimacy, like listening in a small jazz club.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
This is a very personal question. The answer is really driven by your favorite music genre, your room, and your budget.

I could live happily with my Sasha DAWs. But I might get curious again. If I did, I’d audition the Alexx Vs, or whatever the current comparable Wilson model is at the time. I happen to be an admirer of David Wilson, and I think Darryl is carrying the legacy well.

Right now though, the Sasha DAWs are kicking it here. I’m never disappointed.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I recently ordered my end game and last speaker ---Aries Cerat Aurora.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@thomask might be worth the effort to listen to 13audio WE replica and see if it gets you there?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I could not find a commercial speaker that did what I need, so I built my own.

I love the coherency of the best full range drivers and the dynamics of high efficiency speakers with big woofers. I love paper cones and soft dome tweeters. I love Alnico magnets and field coils.

I like 2 way and 3 way systems because anything greater than that is almost impossible to integrate into a coherent whole.

In my opinion, the only crossover topology that allows a multi way speaker to approach a single driver's coherency is first order along with time alignment of the drivers.

If I was to chose a commercial speaker today, it might be a horn based one like Classic Audio.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Hate to say none of those monsters. I am a 2 way stand mount kind of person. Smaller listening space and love the intimacy, like listening in a small jazz club.
I was this for 25 years and then on a whim bought some vintage 12" 2 way studio monitors that weigh 100lbs and put them on wheels to move them out of the way so the room remains the same. The key was being able to hear the difference in my own room rather than at some dealer.... and it was startling. The thing is, you never know what you're missing until you hear it, but that's not always a bad thing. There was no reason why I couldn't live with the standouts forever. I was very happy.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Pendragon is my endgame speaker. I'm done.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

My endgame speakers are 2-way standmounts as well, my current Reference 3A Reflector monitors. These, however, are supplemented with dual JL Audio Fathom 112v2 12-inch subwoofers.

I also love the intimacy of monitors on small-scale music, yet on large-scale music the speaker system can throw a much larger and more spacious soundstage as well.

For my mid-sized room (dimensions, see signature) the speaker system is a great solution, most large speakers would give problems. Everything has its pros and cons. I do have lots of experience with large speakers in friends' rooms, so it's not that I don't know what they can do.

deardorff8x10

May 27, 2022
I love my Quad esl-57, but would love to hear Klangfilm bionor— could be endgame, but I would have to build a house around them Or buy a defunct movie theater.

Reactions: Folsom and thomask

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Future next things a active speaker maybe geithain rl901 with subs16" same company 100_0877vvig.jpg
Or ld systems maui 900i 50 drivers each speaker via blutooth for gradenparty or for via xlr preamp sounds so f..king amazing.
I've never owned an active speaker. Both concepts are excellent.

Reactions: thomask

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing