What is the ideal shape of a high end speaker?

caesar

May 30, 2010
American Wilsons are a bit stout, especially on the bottom. British Wilsons, the Benishes, are quite slim. Raidhos and Dynaudios are very slim also. Magicos are in the middle. High end Vivid models are big on the model but very slim on top.

Vivids are curvy. American Wilsons are boxy. Magiocos were boxy until the recent generation, and they have become more curvy. But not as curvy as the British wilson Bs.

How does the woofer size play against the type of enclosure? And how do larger woofers play against several smaller woofers?

Thanks

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I like Italian speaker designs, some.
I like German speaker technology.

I like D'Appolito configuration, smaller woofers and separate subwoofers, detached from the main enclosures. I like closed enclosures, strongly braced and distortion free from back waves.
I like simplicity.

Is there a perfect shape in high end speakers?
Is there a perfect shape in an audiophile listener?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's not useless, it gives us all the opportunity to explore and share our ideas and discuss the designs we prefer. It's fun, it's social, it matters because music matters.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It is too complex to pigeon hole. You need to at least come up with a catagory first.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing