What is this Wacky-Looking Room Tuning Device?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I saw this photo of a Japanese audiophile's system on Mono and Stereo.

Look on the sides at this collection of broomsticks of varying lengths mounted vertically on a wood base.

Does anyone know what this product is? How does it supposedly work?

EF16C5BA-BB49-4779-849C-172EB191CEC3.jpeg

A4274F9A-EC83-4054-8763-BE38A2FDAF4B.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Could we be overthinking this? Might they simply be hat holders for an audiophile who expects a lot of guests?

Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Planning ahead for various guest accoutrement scenarios, certainly a possibility. Though I'd random a guess they're a different take on whatever these are:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it appears to be a diffuser made out of wood dowel......really the same idea as an RPG Skyline diffuser. breaks up reflections. it's not going to absorb low frequencies effectively (so not a Helmholtz), but depending on the wood finish and mass might absorb some mids and highs and alter tonality. those dowels might also resonate (musical instruments are made of wood and resonate), depending on how that thing was built. which would be unpredictable.

if the room is too busy and confused it would dampen things some and the music might be calmer (images would be more separated and definite).

with all that unused driver surface sitting there acting as passive dampers (unless they are all powered up with an amp load), that room might be lacking energy to begin with.

a lot of things going on in that picture. lots of potential for effects.

the room might be perfect.......pictures don't/can't tell the whole story.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's a diffuser. I'm not sure if are made by the same company I visited several years ago in Japan for a project we had or not. The concept behind it the sound of a forest, ie how open and relaxes sound travel through a tree forest. I don't know about the little ones in your image but there's definitely merit to their products. I never saw the finished project I was only consulting with the owners and it was in Mexico but apparently they were very pleased with the results. I still have a few images from the visit the company's listening room of course this was a full room treatment, I'm sure one can get away with less.

david

_DSC0352.jpg
_DSC0354.jpg

_DSC0353.jpg

_DSC0356.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That should give our fearless leader Ron some interior design ideas.

Reactions: Lagonda and ddk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Barbican has a similar look

424AF8D0-982F-46DF-8346-1D2CB18DE141.jpeg

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm thinking there's going to be a fairly significant difference between the hat hangers in free space / open air and the bamboo POW camp lined walls in terms of end result, though. The POW internment look is also more similar to Tang's new front wall diffuser panels. Why did he switch from the quadratic (?) block panel out of curiosity?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Planning ahead for various guest accoutrement scenarios, certainly a possibility. Though I'd random a guess they're a different take on whatever these are:

That's a Shakti Hallograph Soundfield Optimizer or similar. From the people that brought you the Shakti Stone. They've been around for a while.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

"The Hallograph breakthrough technology is the result of over 10 years of research that studied the effects of the speaker/room interface. We learned how to reduce the audibility of the chaotic reflections from the walls of the listening room so they wont overpower and interfere with the direct sound from the speakers. The Hallograph contours the frequency, amplitude and time coefficients of the first reflections you hear, which produces a stunning increase in realism.

The Hallograph Soundfield Optimizer consists of two arrays that are easily placed behind each speaker near the corners of the back wall. Each array is engineered with proprietary technology (patent pending) and made with exotic hardwoods, consisting of staggered activated panels that are mounted on an elegant base that beautifully blends into any style room environment.

More realistic presentation of stage depth, width and height, along with a warmer musical tonality that doesn’t compromise clarity and detail. "

There's always an audiophile version of something you can make for yourself. Iirc Valin has a bundh of 'em.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
"The Hallograph breakthrough technology is the result of over 10 years of research that studied the effects.......

They may work. They may not. But deep down, don't you really think that "10 years of research that studied the effects.." really means they got stoned every night and carved a bunch a wood slats and glued some stuff together on a stand and then one day cried out. "Eureka", which was immediately followed by somebody asking "I wonder if we can actually sell this thing if we have a great story and give it a mystical name"?

OK, I guess I should be more respectful but I couldn't resist.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Km pl
Barbican has a similar look

View attachment 68086
Wow bonzo .. that brings back memories !
In 1975 I was drawing that stuff up in a little office in south Kensington.. have you noticed that the floor is 50 x 50 timber blocks that melds with the wall paneling via a coved skirting ...painstaking detailing
I know now there should be more adjustability in that wall .. not sure who the acoustic engineer was
Phil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My friend, I lived in Sth Ken 1975-1984. I should have waved at you.

Reactions: pjwd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Km pl

Wow bonzo .. that brings back memories !
In 1975 I was drawing that stuff up in a little office in south Kensington.. have you noticed that the floor is 50 x 50 timber blocks that melds with the wall paneling via a coved skirting ...painstaking detailing
I know now there should be more adjustability in that wall .. not sure who the acoustic engineer was
Phil

Do you mean floor of the stage? Can you please explain how that detail affects acoustics?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My friend, I lived in Sth Ken 1975-1984. I should have waved at you.

The prices there shot up since you left, and the prices in Hackney Downs have really gone crazy since you left! Check on rightmove

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Do you mean floor of the stage? Can you please explain how that detail affects acoustics?
No the auditorium floor and wall linings were supposed to look like they were carved out of a joint butcher block ... clearly did not work:rolleyes:

No effect on acoustics... only the various wall patterns behind stage and on side wall
I think this kind of non shoebox hall needs to have everybody close to stage like the Berlin Philharmonic so you get good direct sound

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No the auditorium floor and wall linings were supposed to look like they were carved out of a joint butcher block ... clearly did not work:rolleyes:

No effect on acoustics... only the various wall patterns behind stage and on side wall
I think this kind of non shoebox hall needs to have everybody close to stage like the Berlin Philharmonic so you get good direct sound

It's pretty poor on the sides but it is excellent in the centre part of the stalls. Also it has steps, so the seats go slightly above level of the stage which I prefer, compared to being below the stage like in the lower section of Birmingham or concertgebouw.

Non box is fine, Sheldonian is the by far the best for acoustics. I haven't been to Berlin or Vienna though I have been to the Unter den Linden opera house in Berlin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing