What is XRCD?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Cesar,

Here is a link for Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc

At this point, I only have one, and it is interesting that you bring it up since I played part of this XRCD2 a little earlier:

With my new speakers and Acoustic Room Treatments this CD sounds spectacular. Unfortunately the vinyl version is no longer available; I have heard part of the vinyl version but that is prior to my acquisition of the new speakers and the new Acoustic Room Treatments.

Rich

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
XRCD is a proprietary encoding algorithm by JVC that is used to create CD's. XRCD2 just runs the file through twice.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Cesar,

Here is a link for Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Resolution_Compact_Disc

At this point, I only have one, and it is interesting that you bring it up since I played part of this XRCD2 a little earlier:

With my new speakers and Acoustic Room Treatments this CD sounds spectacular. Unfortunately the vinyl version is no longer available; I have heard part of the vinyl version but that is prior to my acquisition of the new speakers and the new Acoustic Room Treatments.

Rich

Thanks. every extended resolution cd I have sounds superb.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree with Caesar that XRCD sounds terrific. Perhaps BruceB can comment as to the evolution of XRCD -> then XRCD2 -> and now XRCD24

Some of my favorite albums are those mastered in XRCD24 by Bruce for Winston Ma

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
One of thge best classical album ever is Rossini Overtures Gamba /LSO on Decca 1961. Fantastic music and brilliant played. I have it on original vinyl, Speakers corners reissue 180g and on XRCD.
Played on my Nagra CDP and on my Hanss Acoustic T60/SMEV/Clearaudio Goldfinger me and my two audiophile friends could compare the formats.
The orignal DECCA vinyl was very good but a little thin and lacks weigth. The reissue was exeptional. More bass and much cleaner sound but still all the vibrant musicality you get with the best vinyl. The XRCD was better that the orignal vinyl and just a little behind the reissue lacking some air and flow. For a CD to be that close to the best vinyl is rare! (difficult to describe when english is not your first language).

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for kind words, audioguy

Other great XRCDs:
Holst Planets LA phil/Meta Decca 1971/JVC XRCD24 an Absolute Sound favorite!
Jacintha /Autumn Leaves on FIM Smoth jazz for everyone!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Just an FYI. A few older BlueNote sessions are slowly being reissued with the latest XRCD process.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any reason to believe that the Reimyo DAC, that uses XRCD technology licensed from JVC , should sound better with XRCD recordings?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What does it mean to use XRCD technology in a DAC? XRCD is a mastering process

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
What does it mean to use XRCD technology in a DAC? XRCD is a mastering process

The Reiymo DAC and player use a version of JVC's proprietary K2 h/w, used in the mastering process, for playback. I heard the player a few years ago and was quite impressed, with both the sonics and price.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great thread. Consider this a “contra” post.

I have been skeptical of XRCD for some time. What sealed the deal for me was the ABXing of Dire Straights Brothers in Arms to the vinyl and org. CD. The XRCD had way extra Reeeeveeerb(b)(b)(b), plus it added warmth (at 100 to 150hz). I went back to a couple jazz XRCDs, I now forget which, and ditto, same thing. Perhaps the new Blue Notes are better or perhaps I bought a bum batch.

I think the OP nailed it. Why doesn’t everyone use it? Hmmmm.

Show me.

Peter

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Some early XRCDs like Jacintha-Here's to Ben were overblown like Peter says. Too much "air" to sound natural. I can't help but be reminded of the wild panning on early stereo recordings. Subsequent releases settled down by a huge margin. I guess what can be gleaned from this is that the process adds some capabilities to the CD format proof is that it can be abused.

No offense to the folks that worked on Here's to Ben. It's just my honest opinion.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
All of the FIM and LIM XRCDs are excellent in my experience. Most of the XRCDs are excellent but when Alan Yoshida is the mastering engineer they tend to be a bit better than average.

The new Blue Note reissues on Audio Wave XRCDs are outstanding. I'm buying them all.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Great thread. Consider this a “contra” post.

I have been skeptical of XRCD for some time. What sealed the deal for me was the ABXing of Dire Straights Brothers in Arms to the vinyl and org. CD. The XRCD had way extra Reeeeveeerb(b)(b)(b), plus it added warmth (at 100 to 150hz). I went back to a couple jazz XRCDs, I now forget which, and ditto, same thing. Perhaps the new Blue Notes are better or perhaps I bought a bum batch.

I think the OP nailed it. Why doesn’t everyone use it? Hmmmm.

Show me.

Peter

Based on my experience it seems like you bought a few bad ones.

The reason they don't do this for all is likely cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing