What speaker would you like to have back?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me it would be my Maggie MG1 Improved....they were very sweet with my HK tube amp/preamp. OTOH, not in any way in the same league as my current SF GH's. Lloyd, why not acquire another pair of GH's? They still come on the market once in a while. Perfect for that second system in the smaller room....or maybe even in your existing room with a Sub. Would give you a different "flavour" to your X1's.

If we had room for a second system, maybe...but i've always preferred to concentrate everything into the best possible system. So that's what i've done to date. If/when the main system is 'final'...AND if there is an appropriate place for a second system, then maybe. But for now, perfectly happy.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
B&W 801 series 3. Heard them in the first HK audio show, came home and ordered a pair. Didn't like it at first bec I didn't put them on their original steel stands. but when I did, WOW!!! One of my top moments of being blown away.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
None.

After having switched from a Stax headphone system, I have only ever owned one pair of audiophile speakers, my Ensemble Reference minimonitors. After 24 years I still love them dearly; their internal cabling and the crossover caps were modified and they were augmented 15 years ago by a REL subwoofer which integrates seamlessly. Their resolution has effortlessly grown, beyond all expectations, with the resolution of my entire system. I guess they will be my last speakers as well, they can go easily another 24 years. Future upgrade plans for my system are Shunyata power conditioning, a better audio rack and a Berkeley Reference DAC. The speakers are here to stay; I am confident that they will continue to grow with the future increases in resolution. They are also a match made in heaven with my triode monoblock amps (parallel push-pull) which I have also had for 24 years -- these were heavily modified though over the years and a year ago supplemented with BorderPatrol external power supplies, a very substantial upgrade which not only made the amps play much more effortlessly but also produced a big leap forward in resolution (dramatic reduction of electronic noise).

I had the mid-woofers of my speakers refoamed 10 years ago (while the tweeters were replaced as well), and will have that procedure repeated when necessary.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I miss my Unifield 3 Mk1s. The best speakers I've ever had in and for my bedroom. Regrets, regrets. Well, they are making a very wonderful family very happy now so that makes me feel better.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Original Linn Kans. great little speaker that could rock hard.

P1010958.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
When I left London after graduation, I shipped a pair of Mission 70's home. They were missing when the shipment arrived. With the insurance money, I bought a pair of Mordaunt Short MS100's. I should have bought another pair of Missions. Still miss them, but I don't want to buy a pair today because technology has come a long way.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Original Linn Kans. great little speaker that could rock hard.

The ability to rock hard is important indeed. Mine can too, but only since they are driven by my Berkeley DAC as a source. Rhythm & timing has long been an issue with 16/44 Redbook CD (on many players it used to be a disaster 25 years ago), but not anymore with this DAC which rocks and swings with the best turntables that I have heard (my previous modified Wadia 12 DAC could swing, but couldn't really rock; its ability to swing was critically dependent on being driven through my power conditioner vs. straight out of the wall).

Obviously, the REL subwoofer needs to be up to the task of integrating rhythmically with the main speakers. Fortunately, it does; the speaker combo speaks with one voice.

I see that your system is analog-only and you have great gear, which probably means that all your sources have impeccable rhythm & timing. This is an aspect that comes so easy and natural to analog, and is only achieved with the best digital.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The ability to rock hard is important indeed. Mine can too, but only since they are driven by my Berkeley DAC as a source. Rhythm & timing has long been an issue with 16/44 Redbook CD (on many players it used to be a disaster 25 years ago), but not anymore with this DAC which rocks and swings with the best turntables that I have heard (my previous modified Wadia 12 DAC could swing, but couldn't really rock; its ability to swing was critically dependent on being driven through my power conditioner vs. straight out of the wall).

Obviously, the REL subwoofer needs to be up to the task of integrating rhythmically with the main speakers. Fortunately, it does; the speaker combo speaks with one voice.

I see that your system is analog-only and you have great gear, which probably means that all your sources have impeccable rhythm & timing. This is an aspect that comes so easy and natural to analog, and is only achieved with the best digital.

yes analog only. Like everything in hifi, its all relative. I certainly would not want to hear the Kan's as the main speaker, however for a 2nd system or for my daughter I would love to hear them again. Nostalgia and the human brain is a very powerful force.

As far as sources go, yes very easy to hear the table I am playing and the same goes for the cartridge ( even thou the table has more importance to the overall quality of the sound than the cartridge), even thou none of them is perfect and anyone who says their table is best at playing everything is kidding themselves.

cheers

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not sure I want them back but does anyone remember the DCM Time Window?
My older son had a hand-me-down pair until a few years ago when they were replaced by a pair of Sound Dynamics 300ti.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I wouldn't mind another pair of Accoustat 2+2 driven (now) by one of Roger Modjeski's direct drive tube amps, which unfortunately weren't around back then.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Compared to what I use now, I have no wish to have any of my prior speakers...

Agree, mostly. My prior speakers are now the front and rears of my HT/surround 5.1 system.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Speaking of Rockin'. I had a pair of Cerwin Vega S1's that could crank out the SPL's. Used to take them around to parties

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaking of Rockin'. I had a pair of Cerwin Vega S1's that could crank out the SPL's. Used to take them around to parties

Used to use CV Jr Earthquakes with JBL Mids and Trebles for parties :) My Dad gave me an active electronic crossover unit from Furman for my birthday to replace the dinky unit we were using. Makes me wonder when Furman decided to leave everything else to concentrate on power conditioning. Good times!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

My brother had a pair and did the same. Haha! Those things went through a lot of abuse, but they kept on ticking!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My first response was to think of my Apogee Duetta IIs and Stax ELS-F81s. But, upon reflection, what I would love to have back were the huge semi-active, 4-way, 2-box TLS systems that I built with TLC in the mid-70's. At the time, they saw off anything else and impressed many skeptical visitors. They induced extreme obsessive/compulsive behavior in me and I fussed over subtle realignments and crossover tweaks to the point that I had to give them away in order to maintain some degree of sanity. I really want to hear them now!

Hi, do you think the Apogees would fit well in a McH?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have had more than my share of loudspeakers, but for several reasons, mostly for the amount of joy per dollar I had and the fact that it was my college years, the original Advent loudspeakers really rocked me nicely. It was 1971 and I had two part time jobs in college to upgrade from my Dynaco 75's to the Advents. (I think they were about $138 each?). Eventually moved up to Mari Otala's Citation electronics (open bandwidth design, low negative global feedback, low TIM) and then added some god-forsaken supertweeter array (Micro-something?). I thought that system was the cat's meow even though it was set up in a dorm room with not chance in hell of being able to listen in anything resembling a sweet spot. Elton John's "Take me to your Pilot" was a favorite demo cut at the time. (Now, $138 doesn't even buy you some over-priced stickers to put on your fuses and circuit boards.) I kept them for 2 years before moving up to the original Magneplanar Tympani 1-U's. But man, I loved those Advents.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Will not re-read the whole thread.

Speakers have advanced and a lot ... Current speakers will run circles around old ones. Of course nostalgia and other emotions will have us remember fondly our old mainstays... Having said that I wouldn't mind the Apogee Diva I had in Miami a few years ago. I have the feeling these speakers have more potential than most people (including I) suspected. We know more about Room treatments than when they were introduced. I would have loved to tri-amp these and use some kind of Electronic Room Correction a la Acourate ...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The nostalgic pair would have to be the AR 2ax's but I wouldn't want them back. Then it was a pr of Braun Mini-monitors...aluminum cabinets...cool little speaker but no, wouldn't want them back either. Lastly it would be the humongous Snell Type A Improved. Do I want them back? Not a chance...huge with poor dynamics...never liked those guys..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing