What Speakers are you using with ART27? Fully "Alive" Sound?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic...yes, in the 3 CJ Preamp burn-ins I have done (PV14L, GAT 1, GAT 2)...they have some ups and downs and then ups...and a final UP. I think it is the Teflon capacitors, I believe.

As for 6922s...I tried loads...Amperex, EH (stock...quiet but perhaps the tiniest bit stiff, less detailed...by a hair...than the better NOS tubes), Telefunken...and some good quality Mullards. I found the Mullards the most muscular and extremely quiet. But when the Amperexes were quiet (tendency to be noisy), I preferred them in our system. It was not until Brent Jessee sent me his best NOS Mullards that I found the best sound of all. It took years of my ordering various tubes from Brent before I did it...but that was quite an interesting learning moment for me.

As you say, the difference is that the ART88 requires the whole top to come off vs just the 2 clear guards on the older GAT 2. The price of greatness perhaps...no doubt worth it as, even if you listen 40 hours a week, I doubt you will be retubing for 18-24 months at least and possibly a full year longer.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, I would follow Jeff's advice on that. I wouldn't re-tube anything unless it was really necessary and something that the original designer intended.

Also, regarding playing the preamp with the cover off... not a good idea. There are lethal voltages in there, definitely a no no. Just use the preamp as is and enjoy the gradual process of burn-in. No need to get too carried away with the burn-in saga... it does exist and most of it is psychological. However, after the few 100hrs, things usually open up nicely.

I've found the best way to really open things up and get going, warm and caring... a bottle of red and some nice blue or Swiss cheese really helps!
Cheeers maaate!
RJ

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Thanks B D RJ... all good advise.
Will work on the wine this evening. Have part of a bottle of Silver Oak special occasion stuff left from New Years. And so to you,
Happy New Year,
Bob

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
One thing I forgot to mention and you probably know this;

With tube gear, and especially at this level, the tubes themselves also require a certain amount of hours to settle in. Typically 50 to 100hrs as well, so it's not just the electronics. Therefore, allow the tubes in your ART88 to settle in gradually with the preamp components itself.

Once settled in, sit back and enjoy those fine tunes! The moment you go and change tooobs again, you're really not allowing things to settle in... it's rather "unsettling!'

Just take it easy mate, give it plenty of time in its own stride... and everything will be wonderful!
Oh for the love of tooobs.

Woofty woof'n! I think I've run out of cheese.
RJ

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
To get the break in started, c-j "burns in" these units for 100 hours before they are packed and sent out.
So by early next week the ART88 will have 300 hours on it. Plenty to get started. I'm already listening three or four hours per day so enjoying the music. One surprise to me, my LPs sound better. Same c-j TEA1bc phono pre, but that into the new preamp turns out to be a nice enhancement.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing