What stepup for the Kiseki Purpleheart?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Hi, I am taking a first small step into the world of SUT´s. What would you think to be a good SUT for the Kiseki PurpleHeart pickup? What about the Lyra Erodion or the Consolidated Audio? Any SUT that would also be good with for example a SPU? The plan would be to use it with the Kondo GE-1 and Kondo Overture with Avantgarde UNO XD´s. Thanks for any advice:)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
First tackle the objective criteria, starting with how much gain do you need?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
First tackle the objective criteria, starting with how much gain do you need?
I am not quite sure what gain is best for the Purpleheart. I have used it at 64 db with the Burmester 100, and that seemed fine though. The Kondo GE-1 has 34db.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Gain is more about the rest of the chain / speakers, but the more gain you acheive with a stepup the lower the numerical loading so this ends up affecting everything ;)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
For example if you use 1:10 SUT you will have get 54db total phono gain and 470 ohms load for the cart. Whether thats enough gain for the system depends on preamp gain /amp sensitivity...

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
For example if you use 1:10 SUT you will have get 54db total phono gain and 470 ohms load for the cart. Whether thats enough gain for the system depends on preamp gain /amp sensitivity...
I understand, the Consolidated Audio SUT comes in three variants; 1:10, 1:15 and 1:20. That should be 20, 23,5 and 26db. It seems the Erosion gives 26db. The Kondo Sfz (another possibility) gives 20 or 36db.

I am not sure of the gain/amp sensitivity of the Kondo Overture amp though.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Kiseki Purple Heart has 40 Ohm internal impedance, so an optimal SUT primary should be close to that value.
That would roughly correspond to 1:10 step-up ratio
That’s what I’m using with Kiseki Purple Heart, Ypsilon MC-10 L SUT

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
SUT primary impedance match with the cart internal impedance is the first step in selecting appropriate SUT.
The corresponding gain is the function of that value.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Perhaps start with 1:10 of modest cost and get a sense of gain and load?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Kiseki Purple Heart has 40 Ohm internal impedance, so an optimal SUT primary should be close to that value.
That would roughly correspond to 1:10 step-up ratio
That’s what I’m using with Kiseki Purple Heart, Ypsilon MC-10 L SUT
Your math is off. Internal cart impedance doesn't dictate winding ratio. The SUT winding DCR should be matched to the cart internal impedance. The Ypsilon L is a low DCR SUT and not a good match for the Kiseki. You'd get better results with the H version. Curiously, the max load recommended for the Purpleheart is fairly light at 400 ohms. So the SUT ratio will want to be around 1:10 at most. The best starting point therefore is probably a 1:10 high DCR SUT. As close to 42 ohms as possible.

My recommendation is contact Dave Slagle at Intact Audio and have him wind a 1:10 40 ohm SUT for you. If there is a lack of gain with your phono, he can swap it for no charge later. But any increase in windings ratio is going to present a heavier load to the Kiseki than recommended, and will likely have other consequences.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Your math is off. Internal cart impedance doesn't dictate winding ratio. The SUT winding DCR should be matched to the cart internal impedance. The Ypsilon L is a low DCR SUT and not a good match for the Kiseki. You'd get better results with the H version. Curiously, the max load recommended for the Purpleheart is fairly light at 400 ohms. So the SUT ratio will want to be around 1:10 at most. The best starting point therefore is probably a 1:10 high DCR SUT. As close to 42 ohms as possible.

My recommendation is contact Dave Slagle at Intact Audio and have him wind a 1:10 40 ohm SUT for you. If there is a lack of gain with your phono, he can swap it for no charge later. But any increase in windings ratio is going to present a heavier load to the Kiseki than recommended, and will likely have other consequences.
Ypsilon is 1:10 ratio
I bought this specific version after having it discussed with the Ypsilon designer.
It’s primary is around 40 Ohm

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The 1:10 version makes sense as you'll present a 470 ohm load, but I thought the Ypsilon L vs H designation referred to DC resistance of the primaries (as is convention with most SUTs). I'd seen this described for Ypsilon somewhere in the past, but can't find it now. L is normally 6-8 ohms or less, with H being in the 30s upward towards 40 ohms.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
The 1:10 version makes sense as you'll present a 470 ohm load, but I thought the Ypsilon L vs H designation referred to DC resistance of the primaries (as is convention with most SUTs). I'd seen this described for Ypsilon somewhere in the past, but can't find it now. L is normally 6-8 ohms or less, with H being in the 30s upward towards 40 ohms.
L designation doesn’t refer to the step up ratio
It’s an upscale model vs the non- L model
MC-10 refers to 1:10 step up ratio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ok I wasn't suggesting it referred to step up ratio, but to the DC resistance. If it doesn't (and I can't find the info I thought I'd read) then the Ypsilon SUTs must be only wound with a single DCR. Typically it's a low DCR, which might make this SUT a less than ideal match for this cart. Anyhow, sorry for the confusion as it looks like I have my own windings crossed :) .

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Ok I wasn't suggesting it referred to step up ratio, but to the DC resistance. If it doesn't (and I can't find the info I thought I'd read) then the Ypsilon SUTs must be only wound with a single DCR. Typically it's a low DCR, which might make this SUT a less than ideal match for this cart. Anyhow, sorry for the confusion as it looks like I have my own windings crossed :) .
Ypsilon doesn't specify the primary winding resistance of the MC-10, just states an approximate estimate of the loading "seen" by the cartridge, which is 500 Ohm (as you stated, Kiseki recommends 400 Ohm loading), which would roughly correspond to 40-50 Ohm of primary resistance.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
You're saying that Ypsilon told you that it's 40-50 ohms primary resistance? There is no rough correlation there, in general.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
In so many words, yes.
He actually said, that 47 KOhm phono input wil show 480 Ohm at the primary of the MC-10L, which is a good match for Kiseki, that recommends 400 Ohm.
And yes, the correlation with primary resistance is rough.
I really had a choice to order any of the Ypsilon SUTs and just went with what the designer recommended.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for good advice. I will probably soon be able to borrow a few different stepups, so I can test what sounds best in my system.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I think you may have read that on the Audio Note UK website describing their sut's

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Zesto make one to cover all ratios
Allasso-beauty-shot-renumbered-croped-web.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing