What Vintage Piece of Electronic Gear Did You Wish You Never Sold

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As our hobby evolves over time, things seem to get better and better bringing us ever closer to audio nirvana. Over the years I have assembled countless systems trying to get toi where I am now. In doing so I find I parted with some gear that I wish I never had sold

Several come to mind

Krell KPS25SC. This was so far ahead of anything at the time. A real conversation piece and all in from Krell. The remote that came with it was also visually stunning

Nakamichi Dragon Tape Deck. Another magnificent piece of gear with auto reverse and auto azimuth and bias. With the loss of casette decks to CD I sold it and also regret it

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I gave my away SAE R3C receiver along with my whole old stereo system when my good friend got married. He always liked my system and I did not have the time to find a buyer (1992 went to grad school, very busy). I hope he still has it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Back in the late 60's and 70's I was big into R2R and had all of my music on tape. Strange thing happened however in the late 70's and early 80's. Some new contraption came along called the CD. The rest is history. I remember selling my SOTA Ampex R2R with all of my tapes. Now that was a dumb move. Fortunately I have been able to replace it with a flawless Studer A810

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
If it's OK to miss a piece of equipment but not necessarily want it back, I have a whole list.

Custom cabinet JBL S7R (vertical) with EV T350 tweeter
Thorens TD-124 MK2
Oracle Premier Turntable with Breuer arm
Ampex 351
Counterpoint SA 11 + Counterpoint SA9 + Counterpoint SA4s
Sound Lab Ultimate Ones
Win Labs Strain Gauge cartridge
Threshold 800
Tube Research GT400

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My Wadia 27ix and 270. When the company almost went under before the influx of cash, I sold it for firesale $$. I thought Wadia was going under and it would become a doorstop!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Surprisingly well. In fact, the upper bass suckout (just above the upper bass peak that was, in turn, just above the precipitous bass roll-off) was somewhat filled in. Very sweet stuff.

Funny thing is go and listen to some current Sequerra modded 8s and 9s and sometimes wonder just how far we've really come :) A really sweet sounding amp that I think Dick was using on his speakers several, well maybe 10-15 years ago, at a Stereophile show.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A Blackface Princeton reverb.

P

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My Audio Research D-150A.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the 8B had better output transformers than the 8 from what I have read.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Well, none, yet, but I am about to sell all my old tube gear*. I will regret it, but it's time for it to go to a good home, and I am using other gear (probably not as good, but serves the purpose and is lower maintenance). I will regret less selling the Yamaha T1 tuner, and the Pioneer RT-707 R/R deck hardly at all. ;) I am still keeping my old turntable for now in hopes of setting it up soon. I retained about 300 of my favorite LPs from an original collection pushing 3000 (!); hope they are still playable! - Don

* ARC D-79 (sold), SP3a1; Counterpoint SA220; Eico EL34 amp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Manley Stingray. Now that my older kids (11 and 9) are very into music, it would've made for a great backbone for their stereo instead of the receiver that's in there now. It would've given them added coolness factor to boot.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My ARC SP 10MKII I got in the mid 80s. I used it for a couple of years but worried about the cost of re-tubing (I think 12-15 tubes) so I traded it in for an ARC SP 14 which had only 1 tube. A silly decision which I regret.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing