What works for omnidirectional speakers?

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Hello Duke

Thanks! I would if you don't mind :)

Rob :)

A good conventional speaker's perceived tonal balance is a weighted average of the direct sound and the reverberant sound, the latter being dominated by the off-axis energy. Typically the off-axis energy has a generally downward-sloping spectral balance because the tweeter is beaming up high. So in order to end up with a natural-sounding tonal balance, the direct sound needs to have enough high frequency energy to balance out the relative lack thereof in the reverberant sound, and we end up with an "in-room" curve which is gently downward-sloping. The direct sound is brighter than this net "in-room" curve, and the reverberant sound is duller.

With a "two streams" speaker, the reverberant energy is getting proportionally more high frequency energy, relatively speaking, because the rear-firing energy has a full dose of highs. So if we still have the "normal" amount of highs in the first-arrival sound, the net tonal balance would tend towards brightness. With both top ends being user-adjustable, we have the option of turning down the highs in the rear-firing drivers, or in the front-firing drivers, or maybe a little of both.

My personal preference is for both the direct and the reverberant sound to have a gently downward-sloping spectral balance, more similar to one another than what we would normally get from a pair of conventional speakers. To my ears, this results in a more realistic timbre. I am well aware of the argument that the reverberant energy should be more strongly downward-sloping to mimic the rolloff of the highs with distance, and have tried it both ways.

What I THINK is going on is this: With a good recording, the venue's reverberant field is ALREADY present, and its spectral balance is ALREADY CORRECT (rolled off in the highs) as it decays away into inaudibility. The job of the reverberant field in the playback room is not to MIMIC the venue's acoustics, but to PRESENT the venue acoustics which are already on the recording EFFECTIVELY. And imo in two-channel, this is best done by having a reverberant field that is spectrally correct, that is neither too strong nor too weak, that doesn't arrive too early, and that decays evenly and neither too fast nor too slow.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Empyrian, I empathize about the negotiations with your wife... one last thought, a hail mary pass, if you will:

Since the bass frequencies are so problematic (up to 200), can you get some portable bass traps and lay them down when you listen? Zanden makes some killer effective ones that are fairly small. You can move them in, put them in the corners, lay them down on the floor by the walls, and when not listening, store them in the closet.

Acoustic Tube AT-1

Best of luck!

Emperyan

Oct 11, 2020
Hi Caesar,
I am currently looking into active bass traps:
PSI Audio AVAA C20

They are claimed to be as effective as passive bass traps 20x their size - without damping upper frequencies and reaching very low.
Sounds too good to be true, so I am currently looking for real-life reports on them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing