what's best sounding speaker you have ever heard?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I saw this question in a facebook hi end group and in 168 answer there are 100 different speaker,From ATC,to MBL,imf,quad 57,Dalquist dq 10,Tad,AR,Hill Plasmatronic,Harbeth,Tannoy,Kharma,Avantgarde,Dali,Focal,Snell,ESS,B&W,Avalon Isis,TG,Melodya,Genesis,Infinity,Jbl,Adyton,Zellaton Plural Evo,Goldmund,Kef,Magico,Timpany magneplanar,Jbl L 300,Wilson Alex,ecc,ecc,ecc

Really incredible this hobby

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
For me, to this point in my life, [a system with] Magico M9. But my sample set is very tiny compared to many in this hobby.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, first a "what's best cartridge?" thread.
Now, a "what's best speaker?" thread.
Where will it all end?

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Sorry,I don’t asked you which speaker prefer but i really founded funny 168 people told 90/100 different speaker
This to tell our hobby is really incredible and funny

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry,I don’t asked you which speaker prefer but i really founded funny 168 people told 90/100 different speaker
This to tell our hobby is really incredible and funny

This is really expected - the high-end is an hobby of diversity and individual preference - it is intrinsic to trying to push stereo reproduction to give us more than it is supposed to give!

Fortunately sometimes is happens like Nelson Pass wrote:

Our real customers care most about the experience they get when
they sit down to listen to their music. We create amplifiers that we
like to listen to, on the assumption that we share similar taste.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So, first a "what's best cartridge?" thread.
Now, a "what's best speaker?" thread.
Where will it all end?
When we have copied and pasted the exact same philosophical discussions for each and every component?

Nah . . . it never ends!:D

• Haha
Reactions: joeling

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I think those kind of non-sensical questions should be reserved for Facebook only. There is no end to the answers.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is rather unfortunate or .. sad if a person lacks a chance to hear the best sounding speakers he himself ever heard. Lack of exposure can only be a reason why someone cannot decide himself which speaker or system that he has heard is the best he has heard. or it is a business reason.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The best sounding speaker I have heard in person is the Klangfilm Bionors at David's in Utah.

Is there any other system on WBF, or on any other forum for that matter, that people have sought out, heard, and then been inspired to write so many threads sharing with others their experience? This system stands above all others for many of those who have been lucky enough to hear it.
It is difficult to separate the speakers, but I have heard the system with four different speakers, all excellent, but the Bionors were the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
The best sounding speaker I have heard in person is the Klangfilm Bionors at David's in Utah.
I'd believe that.

They may be the best sounding speakers that I haven't heard :)

I have heard a smaller pair of Klangfilms and they were superb.

Reactions: PeterA and tima

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Can someone tell me how they separate the sound of one component so as to declare it the best?
We only listen to a system and a huge part of that system is the room and of course the set up within the room.
I have not heard some of the items discussed here and therefore can't comment however I am sure if you took DDK's system and stuck it in someone else's room without his expertise it wouldn't be nearly the same.

I have heard too many systems to count and have heard many examples with the same speaker with wildly different results, Just for example at one of the Munich shows there we 3 or 4 different rooms with Magico M6's and the sound spectrum went from really awful to very good all on the same speaker. So it was the system and room not the speaker we experienced.
These discussions IMO are really futile and I believe many have not realized the importance of the unpurchased items
THE ROOM
THE SET UP

Experience and expertise are important Just one man's view.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Can someone tell me how they separate the sound of one component so as to declare it the best?
We only listen to a system and a huge part of that system is the room and of course the set up within the room.
I have not heard some of the items discussed here and therefore can't comment however I am sure if you took DDK's system and stuck it in someone else's room without his expertise it wouldn't be nearly the same.

I have heard too many systems to count and have heard many examples with the same speaker with wildly different results, Just for example at one of the Munich shows there we 3 or 4 different rooms with Magico M6's and the sound spectrum went from really awful to very good all on the same speaker. So it was the system and room not the speaker we experienced.
These discussions IMO are really futile and I believe many have not realized the importance of the unpurchased items
THE ROOM
THE SET UP

You have just challenged the existence of this forum

Reactions: MadFloyd and cjfrbw

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
You have just challenged the existence of this forum
Well someone has too!
"you can't handle the truth" as Jack Nicholson once said hahaha

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Of course a speaker can only be heard in the context of a complete system, so maybe the topic should be rephrased to refer to the best sounding system we have actually heard. In any case, right now I have two Bests, each heard a few years ago at the Capital Audio Fest.

One is a system put together by Deja Vu Audio—the speakers consisted of a GIP 18” field coil woofer in open baffle, Western Electric 713 in 32A horn and GIP replica of WE 597a. The Deja Vu speakers were driven by Western Electric amps rebuilt by Aldo d’Urso. Source was a TD 124 with Koetsu and the phono preamp and linestage were also Aldo creations.

The second system was put together by Dave Slagle consisting of two pairs of modified Quad 57’s with internal biamping using Dave’s PP 300B amps. Source was Dave’s field coil MC cartridge in a custom arm on a 301. His EMIA LP Corrector phono preamp fed his AVC.

The two systems were quite different sounding but equally satisfying to my ears.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and bonzo75

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

THE ROOM
THE SET UP

Agree 100%. You hear the sum total of everything. I listened to the XVX in May of last year. It sounded really bad. Went back in November and the same system sounded very good. (same room, same electronics, different/optimized speaker position). So how would you proclaim something is the "best" speaker, or "best" amp you have heard? It can only be the best system you have heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree 100%. You hear the sum total of everything. I listened to the XVX in May of last year. It sounded really bad. Went back in November and the same system sounded very good. (same room, same electronics, different/optimized speaker position). So how would you proclaim something is the "best" speaker, or "best" amp you have heard? It can only be the best system you have heard.

then you did the right thing. You listen to something more than once. Only if it gets repeatable (same bad signatures repeat in different systems) it is bad. If it is bad once and good another time, find out what makes it sing in the good system with repeated. Why do people assume that everyone listens to something once and that’s it

like with your trio post, some people went back later to hear it with different valve amps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing