What's less fun and less safe than listening to music?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Good to hear it's only minor!

I've been a mt biker for 15 years, have owned a few downhill bikes, like big jumps and drops, done a few races including 2 of the Big Mountain Enduro series last year, etc... I've paid the price. About 6 weeks ago I managed to dislocate my right shoulder, it was a "routine" crash from losing traction around a corner, probably did it 1000 times, but this time my arm hit something just the right way...

I'd rather fall of my mt bike and hurt myself than fall off my couch, I actually read about a woman who broke her neck falling off her couch a few years ago. It's all relative... ;)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember Nelson Pass complaining that he threw out his back trying to lift one of his medium range amplifiers. He probably wished he went mountain biking, instead.

Reactions: ack and DaveC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
First off not only haven’t I ridden a bike for many decades, I have never been on a mountain bike and I have a fear of heights especially when you’re up over 10,000 feet and done if those trails were so narrow that I thought I was going to fall off the edge. It was a 14 mile bike ride descending 4000 feet to the valley floor. It was a demon I had to conquer. I had a few minor wipe outs but the big one was when my pedal snagged a boulder and I went down landing on my face but bracing the fall with my right forearm. Thankfully no teeth or nose broken. Only a superficial abrasion.

The hardest part of the entire ride was when we had to walk our bikes up the trail but up was like a 60 degree slope. I thought it was the hardest thing I’ve done in many moons. The altitude and the steepness of that walk which probably was only 200 feet but I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.

Kudos to Marty who was excellent and made it to the bottom before any of us

Back at our rooms we decompressed in the hot tub until we felt human again.

I’m glad I did it as it helped me with some of my phobias but the lesson learned for me is that as much as I enjoyed it, mountain biking is not for me. :)

We leave tomorrow morning. I have some photos of the Telluride Blues and Brews festival which we attended in the closing night as well as some spectacular shots of the beauty around us.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wow, Steve! That sounds like quite an adventure!

I’m glad you all are basically okay!

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I prefer going up... which probably isn't what you'd think looking at me. Steep downhill stuff doesn't work for me. I'm not one of those people that needs to express adrenaline to have a good time.

But I like some slightly technical trail/single track. The technical trail is best though. I've even done that on a fixie for fun a few times :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Answer: Mountain biking at 10,000 ft. and falling off your bike.
Greetings from the 3 Amigos in Telluride with some minor wounds and bruised egos.

Were the egos bruised during this trip or the audio journey

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought the toughest and scariest thing ever was Ked committing to a system. This pales in comparison.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Steve, just to be sure there are a lot of ways to enjoy being on a bike in the mountains that do not involve technical skills or sphincter clenching descents. And more comfortable bikes too than the forward biased position of most mountain or road bikes.

Great photo, big smiles all around. Telluride is a wonderful place.

Steve Williams

Thanks Bob

It was truly an experience I will never forget. I know you are an ardent bicyclist . I work out daily and walk 4-6 miles every day and even though I thought I had acclimated to the altitude I was dyspneic, tachypneic and had tachycardia.Getting to the bottom for me was like winning the lottery

Reactions: Bobvin

Steve Williams

We are leaving for the airport soon but stay tuned for my thread on the next edition of The Tres Amigos Ride Again

I have a lot of photos of Telluride, the scenery and of the Telluride Blues and Brews Festival

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Bob

It was truly an experience I will never forget know you are an ardent bicyclist . I work out daily and walk 4-6 miles every day and even though I thought I had acclimated to the altitude I was dyspneic, tachypneic and had tachycardia.Getting to the bottom for me was like winning the lottery

Wow impressed that's very good regular workout

Steve Williams

Wow impressed that's very good regular workout
I do it every day Ked
Plus I live at the base of the mountains on a golf course and the trails into the hills makes for a very good walk .

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

I have to say that up until yesterday the scariest thing I have ever done was zip lining through the rain forest in Costa Rica where we were over 500 feet in the air above the tree canopy but yesterday might have easily matched or bettered that experience as we were over 10,000 up

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Mountain biking is one of the most difficult sports around, it takes very high levels of strength, endurance, coordination and mental toughness. Generally, it's not a sport you can just pick up and do occasionally, for most people it's way too difficult and scary. I've seen people have mental breakdowns on the trail.

For an occasional mt biker not acclimated to altitude to make it down a 4000 ft descent in the Rocky Mountains is no small feat at any age, congrats for making it down without being rescued or needing a hospital afterwards. :)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Mountain biking is one of the most difficult sports around, it takes very high levels of strength, endurance, coordination and mental toughness. Generally, it's not a sport you can just pick up and do occasionally, for most people it's way too difficult and scary. I've seen people have mental breakdowns on the trail.

For an occasional mt biker not acclimated to altitude to make it down a 4000 ft descent in the Rocky Mountains is no small feat at any age, congrats for making it down without being rescued or needing a hospital afterwards. :)

Dave, my only beef with your comment is that it may discourage some folks from going for a bike ride in the mountains. Perhaps it is a matter of definition, but "mountain biking" has subclasses of activity, and not all require the advanced skills of the hard-core downhill adrenaline junkies who enjoy jumps and technical riding. There are lots of mountain trails that can be enjoyed without advanced skills. Not all mountain biking involves elevated risks of broken limbs.

As to Steve's accomplishment... indeed a hearty congratulations is in order. That kind of riding does indeed include elevated levels of broken limbs, and the altitude takes a lot more than a day or two of acclimatization. Gasping and wheezing all around, even if it were three 20-somethings up on the hill.

Reactions: christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Indeed, good job making it alive!

There are easy trails, but they are the sorts that you can walk on easily.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, my only beef with your comment is that it may discourage some folks from going for a bike ride in the mountains. Perhaps it is a matter of definition, but "mountain biking" has subclasses of activity, and not all require the advanced skills of the hard-core downhill adrenaline junkies who enjoy jumps and technical riding. There are lots of mountain trails that can be enjoyed without advanced skills. Not all mountain biking involves elevated risks of broken limbs.

As to Steve's accomplishment... indeed a hearty congratulations is in order. That kind of riding does indeed include elevated levels of broken limbs, and the altitude takes a lot more than a day or two of acclimatization. Gasping and wheezing all around, even if it were three 20-somethings up on the hill.

Yes, there are easy beginner trails around, especially now that mt biking is a more mature sport. In general though, I'll stick to what I said as I've had plenty of experience with people in over their heads, not understanding exactly what they're getting into.

As mt biking matures there are a lot of guide services popping up, I think it's a great idea for a beginner to hire a guide who can make sure your bike, gear and physical abilities match the trip you'll be going on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing