What's the best cheese you have ever had?

caesar

May 30, 2010
My favorites are:

- English Cheddar - Keen's, Isle of Mull, and Montgomery, all from Niel's Yard dairy.
- Gruyere, and virtually anything from Rolf Beeler

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Spreadable sharp cheddar cheese from Wisconsin. Don't really know what they do but they sure do it right. I wish I could remember the company because I'd order more. Lots more.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As a kid growing up in The Netherlands we always had a spreadable cheese at the breakfast table on weekends when my Dad was home (he travelled a lot). I have no idea what it was called, and I still don't, but to this day I crave it. It had a very mild flavour and the consistency was slightly thinner than a room-temperature Peanut Butter, so it made for a wonderfully easy spread. I heard years later that it couldn't be imported to N.A. as it wasn't pasteurized.

I love all kinds of cheeses and could go for a nice English Stilton or my favourite....a few thin slices of Spiced Gouda. I love that stuff!

I also have a nice small wheel of a Quebec Triple Brie in my fridge that I keep munching on bit by bit.......

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Emmental for me. Rarely each cheese to be honest, but do quite like Emmental.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese by Kraft. How's that for a *snooty* cheese choice? Slice it up and eat it with Triscuit Crackers for a tasty treat.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese by Kraft. How's that for a *snooty* cheese choice? Slice it up and eat it with Triscuit Crackers for a tasty treat.
This was one of my Mom's favorite, I love it too. Cheap and yummy. Since then though it's $17 a pound Gouda from Whole Foods. The 9.99 Gouda from Wegmans is really good though.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
With the wife at the Bellagio some years ago, a cheese sampler that was just incredible! I saved the menu but not with me right now :( - if I had to choose one I would pick three!, Parmesano (sliced), Spanish Manchego and Roquefort.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
A washed rind double brie named "Papillon". Super creamy, as you would expect of a double brie ... and a tiny hint of blue. The cheese guy told me to eat it with some kind of mustard marmalade he happened to have. It is as it sounds like - mustard seeds mixed into marmalade. It was incredible!

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
maitre antony

My favorites are:

- English Cheddar - Keen's, Isle of Mull, and Montgomery, all from Niel's Yard dairy.
- Gruyere, and virtually anything from Rolf Beeler

my local cheese shop, 25mins from basle is the winner of all - or so he seems; when finding out i was musician he started namedropping whom he is daily supplying wiht cheese in london, paris, ny..

but to be fair, his cheeses are very well a point..impeccable really, and he won't sell it unless perfect.

egidius

edit: http://www.fromagerieantony.fr/ the guy on the left is antony, who dines with barenboim, the labèques, mitterrand etc. and delivered them the cheese ;-)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Boy, I wish I remembered what it was. All I know is that it smelled like crazy but when I put it in my mouth the taste was exquisite. It gave me an umami high rivaling fresh shaved black truffle.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This was one of my Mom's favorite, I love it too. Cheap and yummy. Since then though it's $17 a pound Gouda from Whole Foods. The 9.99 Gouda from Wegmans is really good though.

I too like Gouda cheese, but I haven't eaten it in years. Outside of cheeseburgers, I don't eat much cheese during the year except during the Christmas/New Year holidays (and yes, I said Christmas). I'm just a big fan of extra sharp cheddar cheese.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Beaver Tails OTOH........;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I too like Gouda cheese, but I haven't eaten it in years. Outside of cheeseburgers, I don't eat much cheese during the year except during the Christmas/New Year holidays (and yes, I said Christmas). I'm just a big fan of extra sharp cheddar cheese.

The real good Dutch stuff is not exported, aged, and usually a variety of "boerenkaas" (farmers cheese). I used to buy it on the street market. A lot more intense flavor than Gouda. Although there is some very good Dutch cheese, France (and even Italy) has a far better variety. Impossible to call a winner though.

Winner of the 2012 best cheese award in the largest global competition (>4,000 participants) was a German cheese "MONTAGNOLO AFFINE". for details:

http://www.internationalcheeseawards.co.uk/news/2012-results

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing