What's Your Favorite Irish Whiskey

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Since they coined the word I thought I would start a thread on Irish Whiskey as I have recently been enjoying a few of them. I know Philip has his favorites and he's shared a couple with me when I have seen him at events, so I hope he chimes in at some time.

The new trend in the industry seems to be the grain to the glass ethos, which I am behind 100%. For me, the introduction began with a non-Irish distillery, Hillrock, which is in my backyard a couple of hours away from Brooklyn. Curious I expanded my search to other genres and was fortunate enough to have a local store that was willing to go along for the ride. That's a long-winded way to get to my new favorite tipple, Waterford Irish Whiskey. Reviewing whiskey is like reviewing audio. Very subject, people have lots of different interpretations and even 2 like-minded people can experience different things from the same bottle.

I'll leave all the nosing, mouth-feel and the finishing for when I am with someone actually tasting it. If you are interested in a new, earthy and enjoyable Irish Whiskey, give Waterford a try.

I've attached a few others I also enjoy from time to time, along with some other spirits. Post your favorites.

Attachments

• irish.jpeg
    irish.jpeg
    813.8 KB · Views: 7

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As a big whisky fan, I have dabbled with the occasional Irish whisky but other than Scottish, some special barrel bourbons and some rarer Japanese, had never properly tasted Irish whisky. I was inspired by Phil's posts, and am glad to see your new thread! Here are two now sitting proudly alongside Springbank 21, some older Macallans, a Presidential Select Jefferson, a few others.
1611799261910.png 1611799220358.png

Reactions: beaur

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks to you and Philip for reintroducing me to Irish Whiskey. When I was much younger, I only knew about Bailey's Irish Cream - great over vanilla ice cream. Before COVID, I did find Green Spot at Costco and bought a bottle, then another. Then I saw Redbrest there and tried a bottle. Then came COVID and I haven't bought another. I haven't gone upscale yet, but the Green Spot was a treat. Larry

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
As a big whisky fan, I have dabbled with the occasional Irish whisky but other than Scottish, some special barrel bourbons and some rarer Japanese, had never properly tasted Irish whisky. I was inspired by Phil's posts, and am glad to see your new thread! Here are two now sitting proudly alongside Springbank 21, some older Macallans, a Presidential Select Jefferson, a few others.
View attachment 74262 View attachment 74261
Some heavy hitters there. I'm sure there's no need to tell you to enjoy!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I generally drink bourbon but someone brought over the Redbreast and I think it might have converted me.
I don't think there's any need to convert or remain in tribes. Just like I as a horn lover can sit down in front of electostats and enjoy them you can sit down with a glass of Irish and enjoy without reservation. Try new things is my motto.

Anajoul

Feb 12, 2024
New York
Hey guys! Have you guys stumbled upon Mizunara Oak chips? They've been creating quite a buzz lately. It is now avaliable in US on MizunaraCraft. com. They say all it takes is a sprinkle of chips to give that bottle from your collection the extra time in the barrel it craves Any takers? I would love to hear someone's first hand experience. Thanks

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Egan’s

IMG_0156.jpeg

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Redbreast 21 so far, not Middleton certainly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing