May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
My current speed- it isn't always this good:
3687694292.png
Living in a very remote rural location, this come via a microwave radio signal from a local ISP about 3 miles away. Prior to the availability of this service, my only option was HughesNet, a satellite provider. It really sucked! When I would complain, they would refer to their "weasel" clause in the contract that said "up to." They never delivered anything close. Anyone else have experience with HughesNet? And have you been "Fapped"? This means violating their "Fair Acess Policy" or using too much bandwidth for the day, and being put in the penalty box! (They slow you down to less than dial-up for the next 24 hours!) On the plus side, HughesNet will work in extremely remote area where there us nothing else, not even a cell phone signal.

Thus, I am OK with the above numbers. In my city place (San Francisco) I get about 50mb/s down, a bit less up. It's a joy!

Last edited:

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Not only that, he's slower than 77% of Haiti :)
And those Verizon results, are they with mobile 3G/4G? Because they're terrible :(

alexandre

Yep, 3G Verizon. I live in the boonies so my choice is wireless internet from AT&T and Verizon or Satellite. If you read the above post by MtnHam, you'll understand why I'm not on satellite. I live with my slow 3G service because I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan that is $40 a month. A new 4G plan would run me $120+ a month with the amount of data that I use. :mad: It stinks but I don't have any other options. Believe it or not, there are still people on dial up in my area.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
My new speed test...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My new speed test...

I am not getting this kind of speed when I am in Miami, not yet anyway :)

I just subscribed this morning to this Internet service and it's ... screaming fast :p.

3801729530.png

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frantz, you want to close your eyes and not read this.... but I just switched from DSL to Comcast cable in our rural vacation house and this is what I get:

:D

And this is over my home wireless link!!! Using hardwired Ethernet it clocks near 180 mbit/sec. Comcast is getting competition for our local phone company so is upgrading their speeds. They doubled the baseline to 50 mbit/sec and what I have is their 150 mbit/sec tier. Good to see them beat their stated spec. And nice thing about being in a remote area is that there are not 100 other high-tech people trying to download everything under the sun at the same time :).

My old link was a bonded two-channel DSL that gave me 15 mbit/sec (each was around 8 mbit/sec). For this, they were charging me nearly $100/month! We are too far from their local switch so this was the best speed they could provide.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Comcast is getting competition for our local phone company so is upgrading their speeds. They doubled the baseline to 50 mbit/sec and what I have is their 150 mbit/sec tier. Good to see them beat their stated spec. And nice thing about being in a remote area is that there are not 100 other high-tech people trying to download everything under the sun at the same time :).

Yeah, I hear Century Link is offering Gigabit service in some parts of King County!

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I work for a company performing archiving at IU in Bloomington IN. We're connected to their high-speed network to transfer our archived files to their data center. Our speeds on Ookla are:

Download 346.43Mb/s
Upload 520.45Mb/s

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
When I moved from Atlanta (almost two years ago), I was getting 55 meg download speed from X-Finity. We now live in a very small place and when we first moved here, the only option was AT&T with DSL at well under 2 megs. -- and very unreliable. Fortunately, there is now another option with our local cable company ([Plantation Cable]; Very pleased. We typically get 36/2 so no complaints - and very reliable and great CS.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Was in Strasbourg, France last month and checked the speed on Speedtest.net and had to re-check it a few times to make sure it was OK.. I got up to 284 MBYTES, never less than 250 MBYTES.. Yes MegaBYTES as in > 1.5 Gb/s from a FTTH... Something happened to the computer and I can't retrieve the Pix...

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
The U.S. lags far behind the rest of the developed world in terms of internet accessibility and speed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing