When do you stop upgrading?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Curious as to what will cause you all to stop buying gear and decide that what you have is "good enough". With the exception of new music, I know I'm done unless something breaks. Given my age, I know my hearing is compromised and, after being a "dedicated" audio hobbyist for decades (with many purchases under my belt), I have other priorities. And I really have no interest to buy, install, break-in, tune and do all the other things involved in upgrading. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my retirement years but I'm quite happy with my current system. speakerwall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Two things caused me to stop upgrading. First is the system sounds so good now that any upgrade will be minuscule for sonic improvement. Second is being retired and living on Social Security, investments, and savings.

With that said, if Lumin comes out with a better file player than the X1, or Magico releases an S7 Mark 2 speaker then I might upgrade. Or maybe not.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
This is a good question. I'm thinking some on here love to upgrade/change things so I don't see them every stopping. For me I'm almost there. Maybe a music server in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
This covid pandemic stopped me not just from upgrading but even from rotating the components in both my main and bedroom systems.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I am close. I will get something new when the old stuff wears out. Cartridge upgrade is on the horizon. Tubes will need replacing so I guess upgrade/maintenance. I am a father later in life so my little one is getting most of the spend until he leaves the nest.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I've reached a point where the system sounds very authentic (natural?) and could (should) quit.
I do just listen to music now without irritation about something "not quite right" but following this forum doesn't help abstinence so ?????

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I will stop ugrading audio only after I lose my spirit. ;)

At this moment I am wondering whether I will order analog active crossover unit or not.

I keep buying Nos tubes since they will not be available in few years.

Reactions: rossjak

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
'nuff said...

Attachments

• Lifetime.jpg
    Lifetime.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 93

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I am just finishing the purchase of my last system. Retiring to the Phillipines in a few years so now saving for a quiet life haha

Reactions: adamaley

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Only been in this hobby now for 10 years but I get the impression there are "upgrades" and "changes."

For me I've 'upgraded' through the line of the manufacturer I like (Naim). I'm pretty much at the top of their line now. They'll likely have a new line somewhat soon. Or I could decide to 'change' and consider a different brand altogether.

Im sure few look to not 'upgrade' even when 'changing' but I think that it's more of a search for a 'different' sound in some cases (?)

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I went from a USD 170.000,- system to my current USD 40.000,,- set up and I am a very happy listener. Just got tired of the constant upgrading and it almost turned into an obsession. Which is not good!

The good thing is that I have owned a lot of great sounding gear and I know what I am not missing.Just a few % of this and that, I live perfectly well without the last microdetails and «air» as two examples.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing