When you invite someone over to listen...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Do you let them listen to what they want to hear (or are used too) or do you play a few demo tracks first?

What say you and why?

Tom

I ask them to bring some music and tell them wht formats I can play, and indicate I'll play their's first.

Reactions: carolus
The first thing I tell them is - don't touch the cables!

2 weeks ago i had 8 people here in my room on Saturday night during the Puget Sound Audio Fest. 3 were virgins to my room, 5 had been here before.

after some settling and talk about my room, i told the group i would first play three or four quick digital cuts to give everyone a taste, then pass the tablet around for the new people to choose a cut of their own to play from Roon. we did that and then a few more visitor selected cuts. then i played a couple of vinyl demo tracks, and then there were a few requests on vinyl we played. in one case i did not have the vinyl so we played the digital version.

we did rotate into and out of the sweet spot and front row, with the new visitors getting more prime spot time than the veterans to my room. but all the seats have quite good sound. and some people prefer the sofa or chairs behind the sofa to the sweet spot.....especially to begin with until they get use to my tall towers very close up. i do always dim the lights for listening.

at this point i played some of my demo vinyl tracks with a few vinyl requests thrown in; then a tape, and another tape. then back to vinyl to end the night. started around 7:30pm; one group left at 10:30pm, another group left at 11pm.

a fairly typical session for me.

some visitors do bring vinyl (none for this night), but most know i have most anything/everything. i do like the Roon feature showing history since i always find new great music when i pass the tablet. much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just as an observation, I bought my first apartment in 1985 and in 39 years of home ownership with a stereo system installed, I've never invited anyone to listen to my stereo system. I suppose that's the difference between enjoying stereo as a hobby (or it being a professional occupation) or it being a means to enjoy music at home. I certainly have no interest in other people's opinion of my stereo. I have one audiophile friend who I've known for 40 years and he once listened to my system (in the summer, he was over for a barbecue, the wives were in the garden) and he didn't like it at all. He had me listen to his system under the same circumstances and I didn't like it either, due to a big boomy pair of B&W loudspeakers.

We had friends over for dinner last Saturday night and the conversation turned at one point to my wife's favourite singer/writer for some time, Barbara Pravi, who is a quite remarkable woman. A friend wanted to listen and we used the ceiling speaker array in the music room because they fill the room with sound and it is the only practical way for 3 people to listen music at the same time.

Our music room only has one seat in the listening position, and adding a further chair temporarily would not work as the speakers are only 7 feet apart. With regard to the 2-channel stereo system, the room is designed purely for my personal and solitary enjoyment. There was never any intention of anyone else listening to it.

There is another chair opposite, between the speakers, and a chaise longue against a side wall. Hence my wife and I use the ceiling system if we want to listen to music together, usually ambient whilst reading, and we can use the room socially as well.

Last edited:
The first thing I tell them is - don't touch the cables!
I tell please dont touch anything.

I usually play 3 or 4 snips so they can hear clean, articulate bass; clear vocals, silky highs; and expansive soundstage. Then I hand them the ipad. They are free to play anything as loud or soft as they want. I have no fear.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
I will never forget a trip to visit a friend and hear his rather exotic system. After a while we went to his listening room. He suggested I pick out a few of the LPs I had brought with me and put the first one on the turntable and then sit wherever I wanted. Adjust the volume as I pleased. It was utterly casual and he had no need to demonstrate anything to me. He didn’t even say anything about it or its sound before hand. After I heard a few tracks, I understood why. It was the best system I had ever heard. He didn’t care which of the four cartridge/arm combinations I tried either. His attitude was completely different from any other audiophile I had ever met. He simply let the listening experience do the talking. Of course I then had a few questions. I ended up staying a week and selling my system for a new one.

Since that trip, I now usually just ask visitors what they want to hear and I play it for them. No demo tracks, and no preconditioning with words, just the music they want to hear. They can think whatever they want. If they notice a difference in sound from the last time, I tell them what changed, but usually we just listen. New visitors and non audiophiles often ask a few questions about the gear because it is somewhat unusual. And then they comment. Most visitors listen to a lot of live music.

I will never forget a trip to visit a friend and hear his rather exotic system. After a while we went to his listening room. He suggested I pick out a few of the LPs I had brought with me and put the first one on the turntable and then sit wherever I wanted. Adjust the volume as I pleased. It was utterly casual and he had no need to demonstrate anything to me. He didn’t even say anything about it or its sound before hand. After I heard a few tracks, I understood why. It was the best system I had ever heard. He didn’t care which of the four cartridge/arm combinations I tried either. His attitude was completely different from any other audiophile I had ever met. He simply let the listening experience do the talking. Of course I then had a few questions. I ended up staying a week and selling my system for a new one.

Since that trip, I now usually just ask visitors what they want to hear and I play it for them. No demo tracks, and no preconditioning with words, just the music they want to hear. They can think whatever they want. If they notice a difference in sound from the last time, I tell them what changed, but usually we just listen. New visitors and non audiophiles often ask a few questions about the gear because it is somewhat unusual. And then they comment. Most visitors listen to a lot of live music.

I don't host audiophiles any longer. I do enjoy playing music for guests, especially when our tastes align. I rather talk about music than gear. Most people simply don't care about gear anyway. Many do get a kick out of looking at (and hearing) old vinyl. With guests, listening is never in the sweet spot - it's in the background around the dinner table.

I don't host audiophiles any longer. I do enjoy playing music for guests, especially when our tastes align. I rather talk about music than gear. Most people simply don't care about gear anyway. Many do get a kick out of looking at (and hearing) old vinyl. With guests, listening is never in the sweet spot - it's in the background around the dinner table.

I play music during cocktails before dinner, sometimes a string quartet as background during dinner in the adjacent dining room, and then after dinner back in the listening room making s'mores in the fireplace. Music as ambiance and lifestyle as it used to be, an integral part of entertaining. Right, the gear does not matter to non audiophiles aside from a small passing curiosity. I have few lights in either room, mostly candles. It's an old house and the room is meant for gathering, though I do sit in the sweet spot when listening alone. It sounds just fine anywhere in the room. Most guests like a mix of Herb Albert, big band, or Ella before dinner, small scale classical during dinner, and late night jazz after dinner. Curiously, if any of them play music at their houses during dinner parties, it is jazz streamed from ceiling speakers or a sound bar somewhere.

Note the missing screen in front of the fire for cooking. It does sound better too, but no one else cares or would even notice.

IMG_2532.jpeg

If an audoophile comes by, I show them all my tapes and say pick any. They are all good. I also show a pile of vinyl that plays well. I also offer any digital. I don't feel the need to select the vinyl, but I direct them to what plays well.

Regular guests to dinner, I put on a party mix and no one usually pays attention to the setup. If my brother is over, I crank Eruption or some Who song for him. Then put on Blues at normal cocktail levels.

Do you let them listen to what they want to hear (or are used too) or do you play a few demo tracks first?

What say you and why?

Tom
I'm pretty selective on whom I have over.

If they are the kind of people whom I know have good ears and will offer constructive criticism to help me learn/improve my system/offering differing view points I have a few tracks (spanning opera, blues, vocals and trance music) I will offer to play or let them choose. I LOVE having people like that over.

If they are the kind of people who are "know it all's" that put others down just to make themselves feel good/feel like experts I frankly don't have them over.

I'm here to enjoy music and have FUN, not to be overly critical / one-upmanship towards others.

Just my personal viewpoint.

With the exception of one immediate friend the others have zero interest in equipment and it appears they have very little interest in sitting down to listen to music. My friend who is the exception among them has similar music genre interests as me and is always looking for recommendations in that regard. From an equipment standpoint, his personal interest is limited to pretty modest commercial type gear. In that regard he'll ask for my opinion on options which I give him, and respect what he is comfortable with. If he is by my place I'll ask him if he wants to listen to some music, if so I let him pick or I'll suggest something I think he might like and may not have himself. I have no audiophiles to contend with

Does anyone here allow visitors to pull out their phones and make recordings to then post publicly?
i am ok with that mostly. but do not expect me to comment on those videos or respond to other people's questions regarding the videos. i do not want to get into a defensive mindset on a limited use, flawed, process with so many variables. but clearly some enjoy it and i'm fine with that part.
Do you invite audiophiles over, or do they invite themselves over?
yes. to both. i desire shared listening experiences. i meet people like minded to myself and many times learn things and hear new music. in 30 years and likely a thousand guests not had one negative experience. one time a couple came from out of town, brought me a bottle of Lagavulin, then proceeded to empty it by themselves over 3-4 hours. but they were good natured if a bit lost, and no harm no foul. that is as close to negative as i've seen. been a very rich, rewarding part of the hobby for me. people in our hobby are nice and respectful.

about every 2 out of every 3 years my local audio club does come over (limited to 25 people lately) and that is a great group and i always get lots of new music to listen to. it's a hoot. they do invite themselves. and most all my visitors contact me about it initially. but they know i have an open door.

my room is designed with group listening in mind; i always have seating for 5 when i listen alone, and with up to a dozen or so, the seating provides great sound for all. beyond that people are stuffed into the back and corners and the music does suffer a slight bit from all the extra absorption.
Do you allow them to make comparisons between formats, various cartridges/tonearms, or other gear?
not changing cartridges or gear around, plugging or unplugging, inserting their new product to compare to mine. i do not change things that way. changing gear is stressful for me, for a multitude of reasons, mostly bad things can happen and then i'm trying to diagnose a problem with guests wanting to listen. if @jazdoc comes over and we are doing some sort of gear investigation that is different, of course. i put him to work then. ;)

but comparing within my 4 arms/4 carts/2 tt's, multiple phono's, digital files and streaming and discs, tape 1/4" and 1/2", or with their own media choices.....sure. most sessions are just enjoying the music, but some compares do happen. people do want to hear my best media, that is always a focus.

Last edited:
I ask them to bring some music and tell them wht formats I can play, and indicate I'll play their's first.
I use the same procedure. I feel they have a connection to their music so everything in a new listening environment has at least one comfort zone.

What say you and why?

Tom
I like to play three demo tracks first (digital then turntable then tape) but I ask them if that’s okay. Then I like to play music they brought. Also, I try to find out in advance what music they like in case they didn’t bring anything.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
i am ok with that mostly. but do not expect me to comment on those videos or respond to other people's questions regarding the videos. i do not want to get into a defensive mindset on a limited use, flawed, process with so many variables. but clearly some enjoy it and i'm fine with that part.

yes. to both. i desire shared listening experiences. i meet people like minded to myself and many times learn things and hear new music. in 30 years and likely a thousand guests not had one negative experience. one time a couple came from out of town, brought me a bottle of Lagavulin, then proceeded to empty it by themselves over 3-4 hours. but they were good natured if a bit lost, and no harm no foul. that is as close to negative as i've seen. been a very rich, rewarding part of the hobby for me. people in our hobby are nice and respectful.

about every 2 out of every 3 years my local audio club does come over (limited to 25 people lately) and that is a great group and i always get lots of new music to listen to. it's a hoot.

my room is designed with group listening in mind; i always have seating for 5 when i listen alone, and with up to a dozen or so, the seating provides great sound for all. beyond that people are stuffed into the back and corners and the music does suffer a slight bit from all the extra absorption.

not changing cartridges or gear around, plugging or unplugging, inserting their new product to compare to mine. i do not change things that way. changing gear is stressful for me, for a multitude of reasons, mostly bad things can happen and then i'm trying to diagnose a problem with guests wanting to listen. if @jazdoc comes over and we are doing some sort of gear investigation that is different, or course. i put him to work then. ;)

but comparing within my 4 arms/4 carts/2 tt's, multiple phono's, digital files and streaming and discs, tape 1/4" and 1/2", or with their own media choices.....sure. most sessions are just enjoying the music, but some compares do happen. people do want to hear my best media, that is always a focus.

Poor jazdoc. LOL.

You really need more tables and tape decks. ;)

I’m active on a Canadian forum that has some good folks on it. I’ve had a number of them over, but only when I’ve gotten to know them or there’s been an introduction through a mutual friend. It’s a mix of me inviting and guys asking if they can come for a listen. The main attraction is my open baffle speakers, of which there aren’t too many pairs in the Toronto area. I’ve flat out said no on several occasions because I didn’t have any connection with the individual.

I invite guests to bring their own music but some are all-digital and I’m all analog so sometimes they have to put up with the records I own. I lean towards asking for requests, but more often than not they’ll just specify genre and leave the actual songs up to me. Then I pick tracks that tend to showcase my system, but I also enjoying introducing guests to music that is new to me and in heavy rotation.

Nobody has asked to record my system but I would be fine with it if requested.

I only ask for opinions if it’s a repeat guest who has heard a prior iteration of my system and even then, it’s just to see if their views align with mine. There’s only one audiophile friend whose opinion I value enough that I would consider a system change based on what he hears. Again, he usually confirms something (unsolicited or prompted) that I’ve been wondering about myself.

I like having people over but have little interest in hearing their systems, other than my one close friends’ because he has great ears (and similar music tastes) and has helped me a lot over the years. While hearing a SOTA system in a SOTA room can be an enlightening experience, it’s not something I’m compelled to seek out. In fact, I’d be more inclined to seek out systems more modest than mine that sound better, since that tends to keep things in perspective. Although I’ve abandoned the ethos in retirement, great sound on a budget remains close to my heart.

Last edited:
I tell please dont touch anything.

I usually play 3 or 4 snips so they can hear clean, articulate bass; clear vocals, silky highs; and expansive soundstage. Then I hand them the ipad. They are free to play anything as loud or soft as they want. I have no fear.
My preferred approach. I don't mine touching however, I do get antsy when people decide to try move my speakers in an attempt to see how heavy they are. Audiophiles and non-audiophiles are welcomed. "Audiophiles" who consistently talk while the music is playing annoy me.

Reactions: Pokey77

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu