Which are your future plan?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Keep buying records, no 1 priority
Getting a Miyajima Destiny
A pass xp27
An emia balanced remote autoformer silver

and also get the new finished speaker design to test labs (anechoic rooms) for official reports

Khalondir

Aug 28, 2020
I'm going to build my first system with speakers, so far I've always used headphones. Researching which dac, preamp, amp, cables and speakers I am going to buy, there are so many options, brands, models. Wilson audio as a speaker, dac researching about pacific lampizator or maybe a cheaper one like the new denafrips terminator along with DDC Gaia.

Reactions: christoph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
For my audio hobby, in no particular order:

1. Buy more LPs
2. Search for a more affordable AS2000
3. Listen to digital in friends' systems
4. Try to sell some unused audio stuff: room treatments, pneumatic platforms, cartridges
5. Visit Ron's new house and spin some LPs in his listening room
6. Have electrician install new dedicated circuits and grounding scheme to compare to my current set up
I can see the deep attraction towards something like a more affordable AS2000... buying something remarkable that elevates your experience completely and also a gear purchase to retire into.

I’ve also got gear I need to sell and pare back to something simpler and new dedicated circuits are also on my current radar Peter. Two circuits for the downstairs horn setup (one for analogue and one digital) and another dedicated circuit upstairs for the pre and SET amp that drive the Harbeth 40.2s which soon will also take its source from the main setup downstairs via a 9 metre run of ICs.

I’ve also ordered in a 1500 watt lifpo4 battery power station to give back up for system power for the next fire season and possible outages on the horizon.

Then finally for the last part of this year the focus will move over to a larger scale DIY horn project. I’m researching and getting my head around what I’d like to do at the moment and will start drafting up some preliminary drawings and buying in some drivers and getting baffles made up at the joinery. Could be the last part of the great work ahead as this challenging and intense year comes to at last winding down with our summer. Would be good to make some positive things to round out 2020 the year beyond compare.

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Which are your future plan to improve the system?

I have two projects.
For the last part of this year the focus will move over to a larger scale DIY horn project...

One of my projects is conceptually similar to Graham's (a big horn system), except that I hope to not only improve my own system, but end up with a competitive commercial product.

The other project is by far the more challenging: Figuring out a way to market my big horn system in this brave new world we find ourselves in.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The other project is by far the more challenging: Figuring out a way to market my big horn system in this brave new world we find ourselves in.
The marketing part is much less fun and much more costly .
Its not gonna be,easy to market a large hornsystem first of all because its a small market.
Dealers in holland wont even listen to my speakers .
They dont wanna be associated with what they call DIY.
They are probably afraid it will ruin their status .
Instead they put everything in the shop which has good reviews in the big magazines .
Its a closed circle /world

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Just a few:
- Adding a secong power supply to my Nagra IVS / QGB module combo
- Finalising the upgrade of the seven transport cards of the Studer A80 RC by replacing all resistors (capacitors and other parts had already been replaced when I acquired the tape deck) and getting a final calibration of the transport. My tech is halfway through it. There is also a spare capstan motor to get fully overhauled
- Adding a second top of the range cartridge for the main system as well as another headshell for the SAT tonearm so I could swap cartridges rather easily
- Getting a high end plinth from Artisan Fidelity for the Thorens TD 124/II that resides in the secondary system

No timetable set for the two last items though.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
One of my projects is conceptually similar to Graham's (a big horn system), except that I hope to not only improve my own system, but end up with a competitive commercial product.

I'm not looking for new speakers right now but a new US large horn option should be welcome. Have fun with that project!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Upcoming plans, in no particular order:

New console or rack for the gear -- my homemade temporary solution is pretty cheesy but I needed something big and open enough for the Trinnov, which is a little wider and needs more cooling space to the sides than my current gear. I took the pedestal off my center (Revel Voice2) and put it on top of the stand I made with Trinnov beneath.

Along with that, rearranging the room a bit to better optimize the couch and surround (side) speaker positions, and maybe a new couch. Love to be able to add another row but may not be feasible/practical in my room. My surrounds are a little forward of the couch to provide enough space to walk between them and the couch, but I can move a couple of shelves and tweak the couch to get them closer.

Add height/overhead speakers for Atmos. I have a plan, but had to tweak things a bit to hang the speakers without having to re-do all the ceiling treatment, then COVID and work made life crazy so haven't had time and funds.

I have my end-game speakers (Salon2/Voice2) and processor (Trinnov Altitude 32 in the 24-ch version), but am thinking of an amp upgrade since I'll have to buy more amp channels for the height speakers. Nothing even close to WBF standards, more like Benchmark or maybe used Bryston, to drive the front LCR channels.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
The marketing part is much less fun and much more costly .
Its not gonna be easy to market a large hornsystem first of all because its a small market.

Fortunately I don't need Avantgarde-level market share to live happily ever after.

Dealers in holland wont even listen to my speakers .

Bummer! Your design looks extremely thorough to me, and I really like the way you've prioritized tube-amp-friendliness. People often don't realize that tube-amp friendliness is ALSO solid-state-amp-friendliness, as ANY amp is going to sound better with an easier load.

I sold through a couple of dealers for a while, and ime that's hard for us little guys. We lack the economies of scale of the big boys, yet we must provide competitive margins for our dealers.

I'm not looking for new speakers right now but a new US large horn option should be welcome. Have fun with that project!

Thank you for the encouragement!

I remember reading in a long thread on this forum that in the US there is a shortage of opportunities to audition high-end horn systems. That observation influenced my decision to go in this direction.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I sold through a couple of dealers for a while, and ime that's hard for us little guys. We lack the economies of scale of the big boys, yet we must provide competitive margins for our dealers.

No there is enough margin for the dealer at the 50 -55 K euro pair list price .
My prices are consumer prices but based on dealer sales with a normal dealer margin
I prefer to sell through dealers

Dealers in holland like to play it safe , they want to sell only known brands
And i cant be bothered with promotion that much .
Its a stale mate :)

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I prefer to sell through dealers

Dealers in holland like to play it safe , they want to sell only known brands
And i cant be bothered with promotion that much .
Its a stale mate :)

In my (admittedly limited) experience, an enthusiastic in-home dealer can out-sell brick-and-mortar dealers, when it comes to specialty loudspeakers like yours.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you make a large 55 k speaker ,
( i know i should probably make also a smaller 3 way).
You have to sell worldwide imo to make a living.
The best/ easiest way to get that exposure is through dealers .

Btw ,plus i have enough money i can stop working tomorrow lol.
I dont need to go around and beg for my loudspeakers .

Brg hj .

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have been doing a few things lately trying to take advantage on the down time from the pandemic and the money I am saving not going into the city to see shows every week.

Would much rather be seeing shows I really miss live music!!!

So far I have built a new set of DIY speakers! That project was on the burner for a couple of years nice to finally get it done. Purchased a pair on mono-blocks to power them. Just have to finish the cabinets,

Got a pair of large format drivers compression drivers to try in my HT mains. Passive compensation network built just have to crack the cabinets.

Just upgraded my HT Prepro from an Emotiva XMC-1 to an XMC-2. Used their trade in to get it done. Shipped it back so it will be recycled and resold. Got a great deal. Love the way the new XMC-2 sounds! Waiting for my Dirac Live interface box to try it out.

Spend more time at the beach!

Rob :)

Tomictime

May 30, 2020
spend a lot less time on A-gone
listen to more music
give away a bunch of records to people who contribute
isolation, power quality, some cable changes..minor knitting...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing