Which Record (Vinyl) Brush (Best) Do You Use And Your Technique How

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched this short video from Michael ...

Then I watched the two short videos from this young man ...

Then:

And:
_____

I have the fiber carbon brush (anti-static with dual brush lines), I have the velvet brush (plus half dozen custom made ones, with various velvet grades), and I have the classic DiscWasher one from the next post...#2

To clean best my favorite is that last one (post #2), with the fluid.
The fiber carbon one I only use it when walking over a carpet strictly for static.
For cleaning the dust it doesn't even approach the DiscWasher vinyl record cleaner brush.

I slowly rotate the DiscWasher brush like demonstrated below on post #2 over the course of approximately ten seconds on the wet side and another ten seconds on the dry side (roughly 10 record rotations total @ 33 1/3 speed). I use the fluid but not all the time, and certainly not for every side (the fluid), per two sides is good enough, and if in my session I play say three or six records I usually don't use the fluid more than twice. It depends ... the brush will remain slightly wet. I apply four drops of fluid solution.
And I always use the small red brush included to remove the dust (debris) from the DiscWasher brush, on every use, of course.

Now your turn ... I want to see what and how the experts do from their own techniques.

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I use a couple a carbon fibre brush static-off all and the Furutech SK-III, the Furutech one is over priced.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I turn the platter by hand as to not stress the belt on belt drive and motor on my direct drive.

I should be cleaning on a flat surface as to not stress the bearings, but once I got a record cleaning machine with suction slot there was less need.

I'm still looking for a quick dust off anti-static brush that is better than the Hunt brand.

Still too many pops and ticks, even on a just wet cleaned record.

I plan on ordering the inner record sleeves, suggestions on brands or features are welcome.

What do you do with old paper sleeves with artwork or semi historic information?

File them as you do the record?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I turn the platter by hand as to not stress the belt on belt drive and motor on my direct drive.

I should be cleaning on a flat surface as to not stress the bearings, but once I got a record cleaning machine with suction slot there was less need.

I'm still looking for a quick dust off anti-static brush that is better than the Hunt brand.

Still too many pops and ticks, even on a just wet cleaned record.

I plan on ordering the inner record sleeves, suggestions on brands or features are welcome.

What do you do with old paper sleeves with artwork or semi historic information?

File them as you do the record?
I have found this brush to give the best results.

My favorite inner sleeves are Diskeeper Ultimate's.

I do file the original inner sleeves with the LP if they are relevant and not just plain white.

Reactions: tima

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have found this brush to give the best results.

I do file the original inner sleeves with the LP if they are relevant and not just plain white.
I am going to start with the round bottom Diskeeper 1.5's because for example The Cure's double LP "Kiss Me" has special graphic liners, and so does Blanket of Secrecy.

The Ultimates remind me of the heavy duty ones I had in 1980 or so, very bulky.

So the biggest discovery is the method shown for the Thunderon brush.

I used this method with my Hunt brush and it WORKED!

The Hunt is on the heavy bulky side and was used flat, no angles or wrist action at all. However it still worked, no static.

In fact I skipped brushing one LP in the middle of my listening session and that too was static free by proxy as the table's cover and platter did not get particle charged (call it a working theory).

Has anyone dealt with All-Spec dot com?

They seem to have the same brush for $8.00 less plus sell a topical antistatic spray safe for plexiglass and other plastics.

Photo of old liner below, might be Radio Shack, was like 40 years ago.
20200423_221854.jpg

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

The Diskeeper Ultimate is my favorite too. I keep all the original inner sleeves.

Here's what I do:
- Place the original innersleeve inside the record cover.
- Put the record cover in a sturdy outer sleeve, such as the Sleeve City Ultimate Outer
- Insert the record in a sturdy inner sleeve such as the 2.5ml Diskeeper Ultimate
- Put the sleeved record between the back of the album cover and the outer sleeve.

This makes it sooo easy to remove the sleeved record and saves wear on the cover.

Kach - wrt the rounded inner sleeve, my experience found them too thin and the edge of the record goes right to sleeve opening, which made them kinda awkward to use. Fwiw I think Sleeve City will send you a sample of the sleeve of your choice.

The video about the brush was an interesting demonstration. One thing it suggested that I urge people not to do: pls do not put Groove Glide or Groove Lube on your records.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
The Diskeeper Ultimate is my favorite too. I keep all the original inner sleeves.

Here's what I do:
- Place the original innersleeve inside the record cover.
- Put the record cover in a sturdy outer sleeve, such as the Sleeve City Ultimate Outer
- Insert the record in a sturdy inner sleeve such as the 2.5ml Diskeeper Ultimate
- Put the sleeved record between the back of the album cover and the outer sleeve.

This makes it sooo easy to remove the sleeved record and saves wear on the cover.

Kach - wrt the rounded inner sleeve, my experience found them too thin and the edge of the record goes right to sleeve opening, which made them kinda awkward to use. Fwiw I think Sleeve City will send you a sample of the sleeve of your choice.

The video about the brush was an interesting demonstration. One thing it suggested that I urge people not to do: pls do not put Groove Glide or Groove Lube on your records.
My process is identical to that which @tima describes. I was just too lazy to spell it out so well. :)

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I ordered both the Ultimates and round bottom 1.5's today.

Also ordered No. 6 cleaner, the Thunderon brush, stylus gauge, magnifying tool, and many other odd bits from four websites, +$300 in all.

At least I'll have the time to enjoy it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I thought Michael recommended the new AudioQuest carbon fiber brush:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/throw-away-your-old-audioquest-carbon-fiber-brush
I think that I posted a video on that earlier on.

I am sure it works because as with the technique used with the Thunderon grounding to the human body is critical.

I proved this to myself by using a Hunt brush and holding a record like a pizza tray, fingers on blank end track area near lable. My hands are too small to thumb grip the LP as in the Thunderon video.

I am currently (no pun) convinced that any attempt to brush a record while on a turntable platter defeats the purpose and may charge the platter and or adjacent area.

In short, use any brush you like, just ground it to your body in some manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: timztunz

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Some background information on the topic.

http://kb.hakkousa.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10094.aspx

What does ESD SAFE mean

4 Years AgoChris StuberGeneral FAQs

ESD, or electrostatic discharge, is the transfer of an electric charge that takes place when two objects that have been charged to different electric potentials, or have different electric potentials due to static induction, are brought into contact with each other. This discharge can cause product defects as well as equipment failures. The most common example of damage caused by electrostatic discharge is when a person or tool that is charged touches a grounded device which has a low resistance to static electricity.
There are four steps that can be taken to help control electrostatic discharge. They are as follows:
  1. Grounding of any person that may come in contact with ESD sensitive devices.
  2. Grounding of the working surface including any tools being used.
  3. Remove from use any materials in the work area that can create static electricity.
  4. Place ESD sensitive devices in the appropriate protective packaging when moving them from areas where the above 1-3 above are being enforced.

As for the Thunderon, but did not order from the below company,, some additional information about it's original application - I think.

ESD-Safe Brush with 1-1/4" Thunderon® & Goat Hair Bristles, 4" Plastic Handle
https://www.all-spec.com/Product/900437-21742
The Gordon Brush 900437 is a conductive brush with acrylic/goat hair bristles and a plastic handle. It is made of synthetic fiber bristles that ensure low or no static charge generation when held by grounded personnel. Use it to remove unwanted dirt and clippings from PCBs.......................

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Good video on using standard carbon fiber brush while holding.

He explains that when you brush the record while on the platter the static charge just goes to the underside. Just as I suspected.

Also, brush from outside to inside!

Sorry to say, but I cannot trust that gold strip on a platter verses my holding a record with any other brush.

Maybe the gold handled brush while holding the record is going to be the best option of all.

All I know is I already have a Hunt, Tonar and Pro-Ject anti-static carbon fiber record brushes with aluminum housings, and aluminum is right up there with gold, silver, copper and tin as far as conductivity.

None of my current brushes do nothing but add problems when on a platter.

The Hunt is the least offensive though, must be the felt middle pad doing something a tad different.

I feel I need the longer bristles of the Thunderon to do some serious sweeping, just as with a household broom and a floor. Longer is better sometimes.

EDIT:

The young man in this video also brushes out to in, but on the platter. He ends the motion by touching the brush to the spindle, claiming it grounds out the static charge.

Won't that just dump the dust clinging to the carbon fiber strands on to the lable?

I mean if it does anything at all.

One needs to be grounded, start to finish, right?

Last edited:

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Using the 'Swiffer', cleans your vinyl when new, dust your gear when it wears (replacing monthly). Buy the unscented no name.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Using the 'Swiffer', cleans your vinyl when new, dust your gear when it wears (replacing monthly). Buy the unscented no name.
That is tempting, but the chemicals and or oils involved are variables that over time may do more harm than good.

I know two chemical engineers via the cigar lounge, but the lounges are closed and neither one is an audiophile.

Where\who turned you on to this?

I tried using a Swiffer knockoff on my turntable dustcover, but I think it only made things worse and had to rinse it with distilled water.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Who turned me on to this? A member of the Toronto audio club, who is also a dealer. I have a LED light above my table that shows every spec of dust. The carbon hair brushes cannot compete with the Swiffer for dust removal. I have been using the Swiffer for a couple of years now with no ill affect. As for chemicals build up, I do not know?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing