Esoteric K1sx Grandioso
Playback designs Dream PLAYER

Any ideas ?

I maninly have classical SACDs.....

Reactions: Ed.P

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes it’s a wonderful player and amazing build quality and I have heard it extensively
But my understanding it converts dsd to pcm so I am not interested unfortunately

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thx Dan

I agree but already have EMM Labs in the main system so want something a bit different but will think about adding the Meitner to the list

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I would put an Accuphase on your list as well. Accuphase and Esoteric beat all players listed in build quality / reliability department - hands down.

They are both different flavour, with Accuphase beeing warmer and more romantic sounding and Esoteric more neutral with a certain see-through transparency .

Reactions: CKKeung

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks

I have owned Acciphase 800 series and 900 series transport dac and DF for many years

I won’t be heading in that direction again, but thx for that suggestion :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I am thinking of getting an an SACD player for my second system
These are my thoughts
T & A PDP 3000 HV
Ayon Acoustic CD35 signature
Esoteric K1sx Grandioso
Playback designs Dream PLAYER
Any ideas ?
I maninly have classical SACDs.....

I guess the best one-body sacd player in the market must be the Vivaldi One.
Does it exceed your budget?

The T+A has very good built but I have never been impressed by its sonic performance.

If you are considering Esoteric K-01sx, I suggest you to consider the Grandioso K1 instead. Their sonic diff is clearly audible.

Ayon and Accuphase belong to musicality camp.
Esoteric is in the neutral camp.
Playback is in the middle of the above 2 groups.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The DS Memory Player does.
Thanks I didn’t realise they now use an oppo universal transport, but unfortunately you need their dac as well to play sacd, and I am after a single box player, but appreciate you informing me of the change to ps audio memory player capability seems good value with the dac, and I have always liked their sound....

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I guess the best one-body sacd player in the market must be the Vivaldi One.
Does it exceed your budget?

The T+A has very good built but I have never been impressed by its sonic performance.

If you are considering Esoteric K-01sx, I suggest you to consider the Grandioso K1 instead. Their sonic diff is clearly audible.

Ayon and Accuphase belong to musicality camp.
Esoteric is in the neutral camp.
Playback is in the middle of the above 2 groups.

Thx CK

That’s pretty reflective of my thinking currently, and agree if u get the K1 go for the grandiosa instead

I have heard the others, but not the Vivaldi one, I have heard the full stack Vivaldi

Which has you heard? And your thoughts

Has anyone heard the Dream player?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thx CK
That’s pretty reflective of my thinking currently, and agree if u get the K1 go for the grandiosa instead
I have heard the others, but not the Vivaldi one, I have heard the full stack Vivaldi
Which has you heard? And your thoughts
Has anyone heard the Dream player?

I have listened to all the above players, except the Ayon bcos it has no dealer in Hong Kong.

If your budget allows, please get the Vivaldi One. It has the best of the both worlds of musicality & neutrality.

My personal two 2nd choices are Eso Grandioso K1 and Playback Dream.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes the Luxman seems a sleeper bargain

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have listened to all the above players, except the Ayon bcos it has no dealer in Hong Kong.

If your budget allows, please get the Vivaldi One. It has the best of the both worlds of musicality & neutrality.

My personal two 2nd choices are Eso Grandioso K1 and Playback Dream.
Thanks Ck for that feedback
What did u think of the Dream versus Grandioso

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks Ck for that feedback
What did u think of the Dream versus Grandioso

They are close.
The Grandioso Series is actually getting a bit away from the Esoteric trademark of extreme neutrality and has become more musical.
You must go to listen to them personally before pulling the trigger.

BTW both can be upgraded in future :
Adding an external clock to K1 makes a big diff! The new Cybershaft Ultimate OP20 10M clock is my best recommendation.
For the Playback Dream Player, I had heard it paired with the Dream DAC via a proprietary link and the resulting improvement is huge.

Enjoy your hunt!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Really good new one box cd/sacd players are thin on the ground and are usually big bucks.
If you are prepared to compromise on two box models then the DS transport/dac is certainly worth a listen and its HDMI cable saves money on cable costs plus it includes any future software upgrades. I tried it before the Huron software upgrade and came close to buying it but in the end couldn't overcome my preference for DCS and upgraded to a three box Scarlatti, but that is my one system. I also home auditioned the T+A 3000 which had a very transparent sound but again missed the analogue like sound of the DCS. But I'm not a fan of the Rossini player good as it is.
If the Vivaldi One is, and understandably, too expensive an option I'd be inclined to widen the net to transport/dacs as they seem to me to have a noticeable sound advantage over the one boxers.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Really good new one box cd/sacd players are thin on the ground and are usually big bucks.
If you are prepared to compromise on two box models then the DS transport/dac is certainly worth a listen and its HDMI cable saves money on cable costs plus it includes any future software upgrades. I tried it before the Huron software upgrade and came close to buying it but in the end couldn't overcome my preference for DCS and upgraded to a three box Scarlatti, but that is my one system. I also home auditioned the T+A 3000 which had a very transparent sound but again missed the analogue like sound of the DCS. But I'm not a fan of the Rossini player good as it is.
If the Vivaldi One is, and understandably, too expensive an option I'd be inclined to widen the net to transport/dacs as they seem to me to have a noticeable sound advantage over the one boxers.
Yes it’s a good suggestion I hadn’t been aware of the PS audio sacd transport I will do some research on it maybe try get a listen, I liked the quality of the older players on CD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing