Which transport for my Nagra HD DAC

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
No they are in an startup face serching for dealers and hope for a test. their first apperance was Stockholm hifishow 2017 when they where cabling a system with the new Big Giyas driving by Devialet amp. I have been using prototype cables but have no commersial intrest. Just fun that a small one man firm manage to make a cable that outperform all my big name cables.

Cheers

Ulf

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
It is so funny rediscover my old Cd collection. in 1996 Jimmy Witherspoon released a fantastic live recording Live at the mint (with Robbin Ford). jimmy is in a really good mood and sings wonderful. He chats with the audience and they answer him. You hear porslin and glass sound. I have listen to this recording may times but it's the first time that I really thinks I am sitting there myself when I close my eyes. Sadly Jimmy died some years later.

Skål

Ulf

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It is so funny rediscover my old Cd collection. in 1996 Jimmy Witherspoon released a fantastic live recording Live at the mint (with Robbin Ford). jimmy is in a really good mood and sings wonderful. He chats with the audience and they answer him. You hear porslin and glass sound. I have listen to this recording may times but it's the first time that I really thinks I am sitting there myself when I close my eyes. Sadly Jimmy died some years later.

Skål

Ulf

Sounds like you have your digital front em humming along right now! Congrats ! I read your HD Dac will soon have a dsdx4 upgrade available.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Dsdx4, batteries for the power supply, transformers on the dac??
Always these upgrades. You never get done in this hobby. Both a bad and a good thing I suppose.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I was considering metronome Kallista but they seems not produced any more?
Hence "low" price i see on a Kallsta Ultimate SE used?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

There is a lot of confusion on their models - be careful because some Kalista's being sold cheap are now really old.

At the time I got it, I preferred to order one of the last produced Calypso Reference's - the last model to be introduced - when used with the much larger higher quality Elektra 6 section power supply power box and the 40mm thick Reference platform https://www.imacustica.pt/pt/catalogo/leitores-de-cd-e-sacd/calypso-reference-gold/ its performance surpassed the original Kalista's.

Their currently advertised top CD player is the Kalista Dreamplay http://www.kalista.audio/en/collections/dreamplaycd/ - as far as I understood you then have to add a power supply and platform. I have never listened or ever seen it.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for clarifying
I didn't found Kalista on Metronome site so I thought it was no longer produced.
The new Kalista dream play has its own site.A bit confusing .
On sale here in Europe is a Kalista Ultimate SE with base. 18000usd. Cheap?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Finally I managed to sell my old cd rig MSB platinum dac, transport and power supply with many options. Asked 7000usd but very little interest. Sold this very good sounding digital locally for 6000usd. At the same time sold a Kubala Elation xlr for 3000usd and 20 people all over the world want to buy it and they did not even try to bargain Hifi is strange world.

Reactions: nmiomir

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a pair of PAD former top cables DominusPraesto revision XLR that I was not using and going to sell.
By chance I tested one as a digital cable between transport and DAC. Voila even better that MIT digital so I keep the PAD.
I also tried the PADs between Audio Research Ref riaa and my amp but now my current Tarfala Audio Xlr was better.
When you change equipment you should have a lot of cables laying around. You never know which will be best

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a pair of PAD former top cables DominusPraesto revision XLR that I was not using and going to sell.
By chance I tested one as a digital cable between transport and DAC. Voila even better that MIT digital so I keep the PAD.
I also tried the PADs between Audio Research Ref riaa and my amp but now my current Tarfala Audio Xlr was better.
When you change equipment you should have a lot of cables laying around. You never know which will be best

The Purist Digital cables are very very good.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I am curious about C.E.C DAC 3.0 the natural partner to my C.E.C transport.
It is a rare bird on the used market ( to expensive new for me)
Anyone with experience with it?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello Marcus

You are always helpful and you got a Very nice audio shop.
Your audio events are intresting
to attend
But with extreme hifi as this dac
at over 30000usd I am forced to buy used att half prices or less.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hello Marcus

You are always helpful and you got a Very nice audio shop.
Your audio events are intresting
to attend
But with extreme hifi as this dac
at over 30000usd I am forced to buy used att half prices or less.

Many thanks for the kind words Ulf! Good luck in your search, and please let me know if there's anything that I can do for you now or in the future.

Happy Holidays!

/ Marcus

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Still very pleased with the nagra dac. Now there are used Vivaldi 2.0 DACs so I am a bit curiose if there are anyone who have compared the two DACs?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I think the Nagra HD Dac is about to get a upgrade. Nagra HD Dac x is apparently the new name. Gets the Nagra HD Preamp chassis and similar power supply.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/10/new-nagra-hd-dac-x.html

I did hear the HD Dac a few months ago. Had a Vivaldi 2.0 stack right next to it. I do think dCS is a bit better...but comes at a price, a pile of boxes and cables. They are both great dacs ...

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for info. The new x dac looks beutiful
But I assume it is much more expensive than the present one.
I wonder if some has compared the old hd dac with a stand-alone
Vivaldi 2.0. dac

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Spinning the incedible CD Lorena McKennitt Nights from Alhambra from my new rig was at overwhelming experience
One of the best live performance ever

Ordered based on your recommend and a brief listen to some of her songs. Thank you. This is the main reason I visit WBF.

Amazon reviews, 279 of them. 93% five star, 7% four star. Astounding.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The Dvd from mckennitt live performance at Alhamra is also very good.Filmed at
The palace garden of Alhambra gives a magic touch to performance.
Played via my Oppo player and into my main rig it’s a gem
The sound quality of this DVD is very good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing