Which ultrasonic now that KLAudio is out?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My only problem with record cleaning machines are that they cost a lot and are only meant to last for two years. That is if the warranty is any suggestion of the lifetime of the product. If you pay 5000 usd for a machine and it only last two years, and you have only washed 100 records with it, then that’s a bad investment...
Anyway, I will go for the KLaudio and I hope it will last long. I only have 150 records, but they mean a lot to me.

Why not go DIY for much less and similar results?

Reactions: leftside

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kirmuss doesn't dry lps, I believe.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My only problem with record cleaning machines are that they cost a lot and are only meant to last for two years. That is if the warranty is any suggestion of the lifetime of the product. If you pay 5000 usd for a machine and it only last two years, and you have only washed 100 records with it, then that’s a bad investment...
Anyway, I will go for the KLaudio and I hope it will last long. I only have 150 records, but they mean a lot to me.

I have a good friend that knows the owner of KLAUDIO. He has one of the original prototypes and has been using it for 10 years.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Cause I don’t want to spend the time hacking around with a diy. Just want plug and play.
It is plug and play. Purchase one of those Chinese USC + Cleanervinyl for around $650. I have the cleanervinyl max. Just sits on top of the USC. Cheap Chinese USC that I have:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078KR76ZC/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

These are also meant to be good:
https://www.sharpertek.com/tale7to24.html

I've had my VPI HW-17 for years, and you can find them used for great prices. Really good for the rinse/dry cycle. Total cost of the setup including the HW-17 (used) is around $1250.

The worst thing about the cheaper USC is the noise. You need earplugs. Or do what I do - do this part of the cleaning in the garage and leave the vinyl rotating for 20 mins. Turn the machine off, add the next batch of records. Turn it on again, and then head upstairs.

I don't even bother with a water filter. I simply dump the distilled water after each cleaning session (about 20 records). I use ultrapure water for the rinse/dry on the VPI. You only need a little, so it lasts a long time. Most of my records are quite clean before hitting the USC, as they've already been cleaned by "some other past mechanism".

After 20 years of cleaning records by "some other past mechanism", the USC + HW-17 is by far the best.

Reactions: tima

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

I am not so sure most record cleaners are only meant to last only 2 years, that can’t be true. In my case anyway I have owned my Loricraft for at least 12 years and it’s still going strong, a very very good investment.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I bought an early Audio Desk System ultrasonic cleaner about 9 years ago (before the competition started). It lasted about five years and died after cleaning about 7000 records. I thought about getting a KLA to replace it, but ADS sold me a replacement for $1500, less than the dealer cost. I've done about 4000 records with the replacement and it is still going strong after 4 years.

Larry

Reactions: asiufy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With so many of our members liking their KLAudio LP-200 record cleaning machine, and after seeing it operate at many friends’ homes, I decided to try to buy one.

I found, I think, a new one offered on Acoustic Sounds, so I ordered it, along with some replacement part.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'll bet the Degritter is right up there with the KL units. It's fantastic, and the customer service provided by Taniel is second to none, which gives peace of mind. Agreed the KL is good. A record dealer near me uses one.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Albert Porter was a big fan of the KL. I told him about the Degritter, he bought one, and says it’s better than the KL. He liked it so much he’s now a dealer for the Degritter.

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is good to know.

I have met Peter Cheon of KLAudio, and I was very impressed with him.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing