White Christmas

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Brussels raining 14 degrees .
Good weather for Brussels Sprouts to “crop up” !

A guy walks into the doctor's office. A banana stuck in one of his ears, a Brussels sprout in the other ear, and a carrot stuck in one nostril. The man says, "Doc, this is terrible. What's wrong with me?"

The doctor says, "Well, first of all, you need to eat more sensibly."

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hate 'feels like' temp reporting, nothing but sensationalized weather reporting

Hate? That seems a little strong when talking about the format of temperature reporting, no?

Why is "feels like" a sensationalized concept? Is "wind chill" not a legitimate metric?

I don't know anything about whether reporting, but I personally experience a subjective sense in hot and humid climates that 80 degrees F. at 90% humidity feels warmer (and more uncomfortable) than does 80 degrees F. at 20% humidity.

In cold temperatures doesn't a strong and consistent wind make you feel colder than you would feel absent such blowing wind?

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Davitt

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Hate? That seems a little strong when talking about the format of temperature reporting, no?

Why is "feels like" a sensationalized concept? Is "wind chill" not a legitimate metric?

I don't know anything about whether reporting, but I personally experience a subjective sense in hot and humid climates that 80 degrees F. at 90% humidity feels warmer (and more uncomfortable) than does 80 degrees F. at 20% humidity.

In cold temperatures doesn't a strong and consistent wind make you feel colder than you would feel absent such blowing wind?
Ron, sensationalized journalism is all the rage these days. Weather is no exception, twenty years ago we reported a temp and if there was a 'wind' to be worried about a wind chill factor. Today for crying out loud they have even started naming winter storms !! Give me a break !! It is quite common practice for TV weather folk to give a 'feel like' temp ahead of the actual temp, if they give it at all !

You might be surprised to know that there are people out there that don't realized that temp recording is done in the 'shade'. As someone who has experienced -38 F (actual temp) I know not to step outside in shorts and t-shirt during extreme cold, LOL !

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Snow again ?

Since it started snowing, all my dog has done is stare through the window.​

If it gets any worse I'll need to let her back in.

1640886912178.png

Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Snow again ?

Since it started snowing, all my dog has done is stare through the window.​

If it gets any worse ill need to let her back in.

View attachment 87272

Your thermometer read almost 50 degrees ?? impossible for snow to accumulate at that temp. Or perhaps it's a 'feel like happy go lucky temp' !! Sorry , I couldn't resist !!

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Your thermometer read almost 50 degrees ?? impossible for snow to accumulate at that temp. Or perhaps it's a 'feel like happy go lucky temp' !! Sorry , I couldn't resist !!
Here in New Mexico it doesn't last long. Just waiting out an icy cloud to pass. Nice to hear from you . . wish you all the Best in the New Year !

Reactions: twitch

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada

agree with this… we’ve been living in this city for over 30yrs and always consider windchill factor dring winter. I would rather be working outside in -35c with no wind than in windy -30c… it can be nice and bright but when it is cold and windy it will feel colder than a gloomy still condition.

I never thought that reporting windchill factor is an exaggeration and always appreciate when reporters include that. it will not be reflected by any thermometer but can be felt.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20220101_095448.jpg

20220101_095524.jpg

20220101_095323.jpg

It is nice to have New year's day with snow covered scenery.

But snow will be gone by the end of next week with normal warm weather coming back to Pacific Northwest.

Untitled_Panorama2-1gpeb-51.JPG
This image was taken with drone flying from my home 4 years ago.

Happy New Year to all WBF members!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
yesterday i finally sold my Aesthetix Io Eclipse 3 box phono. with 3 large 50-70 pound boxes. with 2 feet of snow in my driveway and there being a slopeo_O, i could not get my vehicle near my barn to load it up to ship the Io out. so at lunch i had to come home and clear the snow to load the Io.

done and done. the Io Eclipse is now on it's way to a new happy owner. i'm getting tired of this damn White Christmas:oops:. and i have some heavy digital gear arriving mid week. i guess i should get off my ass and go blow some more snow. :( truck drivers can get surly pushing a pallet jack in the snow.

1641063305721.jpeg

Reactions: thomask

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
yesterday i finally sold my Aesthetix Io Eclipse 3 box phono. with 3 large 50-70 pound boxes. with 2 feet of snow in my driveway and there being a slopeo_O, i could not get my vehicle near my barn to load it up to ship the Io out. so at lunch i had to come home and clear the snow to load the Io.

done and done. the Io Eclipse is now on it's way to a new happy owner. i'm getting tired of this damn White Christmas:oops:. and i have some heavy digital gear arriving mid week. i guess i should get off my ass and go blow some more snow. :( truck drivers can get surly pushing a pallet jack in the snow.

View attachment 87396
Mike, in the UK, couriers won't even look at gravel...and we have 5m of gravel to our front door. And then, there are our SERIOUSLY angry swans...

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing