Why do otherwise dry-sounding amps sound great with Magnepans? What are causes - other than gobs of power - to make a Winning Combo on Maggies?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Many brands such as Bryston and Boulder that sound dry and analytical on other speakers sound great on Magnepans. Sure, Magnepans require a lot of power that these amps provide, but what else other than gobs of power - and what about the Magnepan design that makes these winner combo?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I tried some Parasound JC-1 amps on my Revel Salon 2 speakers and didn't notice much difference from my Pass Labs amps. Now they are powering my Maggie 1.7i speakers and are happy as a clam!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
I tried some Parasound JC-1 amps on my Revel Salon 2 speakers and didn't notice much difference from my Pass Labs amps. Now they are powering my Maggie 1.7i speakers and are happy as a clam!!

Yeah, those JC-1's are awesome on Soundlabs also.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
I have heard many Bryston power amps on Magnepan's, and I always wonder, why does Magnepan use them in demos?

They are as cold sounding on Magnepan's, as they are on other speakers.

This is not in agreement with Bryston owners, and many others, who must like cold sound, and think it is neutral.

Compare Magnepan's with any Bryston power amp, then with Pass Labs Class A. Cold vs warm and tube-like, IMO!

To each their own, as far as opinions go.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was not aware Magnepans are often demoed with Bryston amplifiers.

I would vote for very high power tube amps and hybrid amps. For solid-state I would be curious to hear high power darTZeel, Gryphon, Pass and Vitus.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I was not aware Magnepans are often demoed with Bryston amplifiers.

I would vote for very high power tube amps and hybrid amps. For solid-state I would be curious to hear high power darTZeel, Gryphon, Pass and Vitus.
The 20.7s do sound great with good high powered valve amps...the CJs are a classic combo. Would also be fascinated to hear them with Ch Precision, Spectral, D’Agostino, Technical Brain and Balaabo as well.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a friend who happily uses ARC REF 750s and VTL MB-750s on his MG-20.7s.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I was also considering a brace of lovely 200 watt Allnic monos armed with KT150s... extra ampilicious in black chassis :)

Also Jadis might be worth adding to the valve amps for 20.7 list of interest.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have a friend who happily uses ARC REF 750s and VTL MB-750s on his MG-20.7s.
You have good friends Ron, nice to have such an ample choice of amps.

Since I am now completely won over to the SET side of the great divide so for me the music now drives my amp choice which then rather informs my speaker choice which also needs to fit my room circumstances.

It’s a choice seemingly anchored between two strong sets of foundational co-axials... room determines speaker, music determines amp, amp determines speaker, speaker determines music... hmmmm it’s an enmeshed cycle of sorts.Though it’s lucky I have found both the choice of speakers and the choice of amp now. Choice of music is fully formed and is the primary driver and then to a degree the room is an element that I may also have less control of. So lately best amp for 20.7s has become something of a moot choice for this now completely SET happy horn dude.

Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Yes! Big tube amps work great with Magnepan’s.

ARC use to distribute Tympani's back in the 70s.

They are a great match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing