Wildfires are burning around the world. The most alarming is in the Amazon rainforest.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://www.vox.com/world/2019/8/20/20813786/wildfire-amazon-rainforest-brazil-siberia

I live on the Canadian West Coast...Vancouver Island...south-east.
The last three years were extremely hot summers.
Also it was generally similar for the West Coast of the United States.

In British Columbia we had record forest fires in the last few years.

This year, this summer is not as hot, it's actually much more comfortable and the air more breathable because of less forest fires. All seems well all across Canada and all across the United States, as far as heat and forest fires are concerned this summer. Only one more month to go before Fall season.

But going global the picture changes; it started to make the news in Sao Paulo, Brazil recently with apocalyptic pictures in daytime and blackouts. I started to search for more, the Amazon, the Amazonian forests, and more and more and other places as well to have a more global picture and including the various causes plus the overall temperature and weather network of the planet including its atmosphere above.

Everything looks and sounds normal. Or is it, I have less than zero clue, here it's all good, and over there in South America it's burning in the Amazon...where it's the worst right now on the globe.
The more research I do the more I learn about farming, ranching, cattle, deforestation, drought, etc.

20% of the world's oxygen cones from the forests of the Amazon. The recent pictures of Sao Paulo are eerie. There's a short video (link above) of an Indian woman with her reserve burning in the background. ...Reality shock.

Just something miscellaneous in the life, most likely normal routine.

In other related news Greenland is rich on ice, and Canada on water.; precious natural resources.

Be good,

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Not all those fires are wildfires some are set off on purpose. I was traveling often to Brazil back in the early 80's and one of the places I visited was Maraba which is basically a mining town, from there we had to charter a plane to get to the mines that were in the middle of Amazon. This was a 2.5 to 3 hour flight and during that entire flight path they were burning down parts of the rainforest. I took that trip 4 times a year and it was the same thing every time. The mine we went to started off small about 500 acres with a couple of dozen or so garimpeiros, the small landing strip we flew to was about a 3hrs mule ride from the mine on a narrow path that they had carved out in forest. By the 3rd year the mine had expanded to tens of thousand of acres with now 2000-3000 independent garimpeiros working there. The landing strip had expanded and they carved a wide road and carried people and tons of minerals back & forth in large trucks all day long. The rate of devastation was incredible and why I stopped going there. From what I understand large parts of the forest are continuously cut or burnt down I'm amazed that any of it is still remains...:confused:

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You had first view over the years David...from the air.

I only started this thread not because it's high end audio but after seeing Sao Paulo pictures during daytime recently. I have a good friend doctor living in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
I worked twenty-seven years in the forestry industry. I also flew a lot, and see deforestation from the air...here where I live and the surroundings of the entire British Columbia. Not as bad as the Amazon.

Anyway Sao Paulo is under a blackout ...
https://www.euronews.com/2019/08/21...lo-s-smoke-filled-skies-make-it-dark-at-2-p-m

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-a...e-and-causing-blackouts-in-sao-paulo-20190821

* Extra: https://www.theguardian.com/global-...nforests-quickly-gone-100-years-deforestation

When we don't see cities anymore from above something is not normal.
And it goes without saying about the air they are breathing ... our air too.

Reactions: Bodhi

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Siberia, Alaska, Greenland, Amazonas ...they all have forest fires burning.
We are not aware much because the news don't mention it.
And, in the United States and in Canada we have a better year this year (2019) in regards to extreme heat and forest fires. There are some in Canada though, just not as bad as in the previous years.

Siberia is big this year, and the Amazon rainforest is worst this year.
Education is important ...

I have zero clue how many of those fires are deliberately started by cattle ranchers, less than zero.
They say that during the dry season it's their time to start fires for their cattle, and humans cannot control fires. The numbers of fires in Brazil this year is way way more than anything we've seen in the past. Just Google it to learn more and where that smoke travels from the winds plus what it means to the global health.

I know no more than what they put in the news. I've read several articles so far in the last week or so. I make my own conclusion from all averages and looking @ the neighboring counties, and Sao Paulo in daytime looking like a dark "apocalypto".

The cattle ranchers in Brazil, and their leader, do they read the news and the scientific studies and are they more concerned about their cattles than the humans outside their boundaries?
Are they educated in the affairs of global survival? Are we?

I know less than zero, only what I read on the Internet; must be a conspiracy or simply fake news to advance the paychecks of ranchers? How can we absolutely know without evidence, without proof of how they all started those fires? We need more drones, satellites in the sky taking pictures. But then the skies are covered with smoke, so how can they take clear pictures?

There are some, one was taken couple days ago; we see people who started a brush fire with a firetruck on standby. That fire truck won't be controlling that immense fire burning around, no way Jose. And nobody is controlling the winds.

We are free to make our own balance. After all Brazil is part of our own planet.
20% of it...the oxygen. And we live just by.

Two years ago the air was the worst during some summer periods where I live on the Island.
Because of forest fires nearby. It affected our lungs and eyes badly, and it lasted a solid two weeks.
Last year was tragic in the United States, in California. If I cannot forget, the people who lost their loved ones they never will.

It's reoccurring every year but @ different places and affecting different living species, not just the human species. It's just that we are less aware if it is not in our own country, around us.
We are more concerned about us than about them. And them are part of all of us.

People they can fight for all type of reasons, but affecting the air of the non-combatants is to me a disgrace, a crime against humanity. That's my opinion. If Man wants to fight his demons please do so somewhere else, like jump inside your rocket and get lost in space, far far away from our Galaxy. Respect the peaceful audiophiles who enjoy listening to music. Yes? Of course yes.

Natural forest fires caused by lightening bolts there's not much we can do about, that's ok.
Perhaps one day we'll have in place technologies that can control them?
Because our planet matters.

That'll be the day ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It has to be fake news, how can it be even remotely true?

Is that a fire truck or not?

Anyway ...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/americas/amazon-fires-humans-intl-hnk-trnd/index.html

I know I know, CNN is fake news, and Fox news have the same exact news, and UK news too, and all the world news. Our world news must be all fake news then?
Who's got the true news...ultra high end audiophiles? ...Global investing firms?
Wall street? The Rockefellers? Conrad Black? The Queen? Saudi Arabia?

The most trusty news sources, who are they? Where are they? Who control them?
Washington Post? The New York Times? The BBC? The Guardian? Facebook? Twitter?

I mention this because most people simply don't care. And for everyone else we make our own choice on what and who to believe or not.
It's probably not important anyway; jobs are more important. ...The economy.
Oh but I do agree, 100% - without a good economy the country wouldn't hold a candle.

Without all those fires burning the planet wouldn't be in a natural cyclical state.
Humans are simply making the economic machine follows its own path.

Yes I am cynical a little, sarcastic a little, just because I'm sensitive to some things.
That's only one of them. And it's not more important than other important manmade marmalade maladive stuff.

The Amazon rainforest is burning more this year than other previous years, and it's affecting their people, their country, adjacent countries, adjacent people, a good chunk of the planet.
That's all really, no more than just that.

* Looking forward to Godzilla: King of the Monsters on 4K Blu-ray ...
http://thedigitalbits.com/item/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-uhd-bd

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
It has to be fake news, how can it be even remotely true?

Is that a fire truck or not?

Anyway ...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/americas/amazon-fires-humans-intl-hnk-trnd/index.html

I know I know, CNN is fake news, and Fox news have the same exact news, and UK news too, and all the world news. Our world news must be all fake news then?
Who's got the true news...ultra high end audiophiles? ...Global investing firms?
Wall street? The Rockefellers? Conrad Black? The Queen? Saudi Arabia?

The most trusty news sources, who are they? Where are they? Who control them?
Washington Post? The New York Times? The BBC? The Guardian? Facebook? Twitter?

I mention this because most people simply don't care. And for everyone else we make our own choice on what and who to believe or not.
It's probably not important anyway; jobs are more important. ...The economy.
Oh but I do agree, 100% - without a good economy the country wouldn't hold a candle.

Without all those fires burning the planet wouldn't be in a natural cyclical state.
Humans are simply making the economic machine follows its own path.

Yes I am cynical a little, sarcastic a little, just because I'm sensitive to some things.
That's only one of them. And it's not more important than other important manmade marmalade maladive stuff.

The Amazon rainforest is burning more this year than other previous years, and it's affecting their people, their country, adjacent countries, adjacent people, a good chunk of the planet.
That's all really, no more than just that.

* Looking forward to Godzilla: King of the Monsters on 4K Blu-ray ...
http://thedigitalbits.com/item/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-uhd-bd

Thank God California has been spared. I think after the Paradise fire people have had enough of PG&E's negligence. It's been hotter than hell in Reno...I can't remember a hotter August and that's been in over 45 years. Of course urban sprawl is partly to blame,but the eastern Sierra has had a drought for 50 years.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Roger, I believe Arizona is also hot this year?
Yep, both Nevada and Arizona, pretty hot @ 40°+ Celsius.

Hang in there, drink lots of water with ice cubes, take multiple showers (cold), stay away from the sun, get in the shade with a fan or inside with AC.

And, don't drink and drive. ;)

Reactions: RogerD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

Pays to be critical of the news cycle, no matter the origin.

I am in Brazil right now, and indeed the sky was filthy just the other day. But it turns out the source of that was Bolivia, where there are even worse wildfires, proportionally, but nobody (here) is talking about.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Around the world in pictures (August forest fires and in the now) ...
? https://www.vox.com/2019/8/22/20828219/amazon-rainforest-wildfire-photos-fire-greenland

It takes a lot of planes, water nearby, preparations, forest management, prevention, control, reforestation of course, application measures, right directions from the leaders, scientific data of course (we already have enough), awareness level, economic and ecologic balance, ...

After all jobs are better performed when breathing clean air.

Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia and Peru ... (South America) right now ...
20190823_110111.jpg

It's not the worst year, but it's much worst than last year.
2004 was very bad for forest fires in Brazil.
20190823_112357.jpg
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49433767

dschondo

Aug 13, 2019
It is. On the other hand, India is responsible for 6,8% of worldwide CO2 emissions (third largest after China and USA) and not very ambitious in reducing them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing