Will this change in audio codec result in appreciable difference?

MsNeko22

Jun 26, 2019
Hello!

I used SciPy to run a butterworth pass, removing sounds above a certain frequency from an audio file. The SciPy package is fast and easy to use but unfortunately, lacking options in terms of specifying codec to be used in the output.

My original audio files were in PCM s16LE @ 16 bits per sample. The output audio files are in 64 bits floats LE @ 64 bits per sample. Will the change in codec have an appreciable impact on the way the audio files sound. Would I be able to keep the sound quality similar if I were to convert the output audio codec back to its original format?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing