Will's Horn Finalists

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Like Keith, I have been on a similar speaker mission. I sold my home and my two channel system which included SF Amati Tradition Homage speakers, Raven Integrated Reflection MK2 tube amp and a Lumin X-1 DAC / Streamer. I am building a new home and I will have a separate Theater Room that is strictly for Movies and Sports. My two channel area is not a dedicated listening room but it is a combination Great Room and Kitchen. It measures 18ft wide by 35ft long. The ceilings are Cathedral starting at 12ft going to 16ft. The floors will be porcelain tile, but will have a large rug to help dampen some of the sound reflection. The speakers will be placed pretty close to the wall but not right up against them. Oh, I am building a modern home so the speakers need to also look somewhat modern in addition to sounding awesome.

I have been touring the USA listening to various speakers and I love the horn sound. Unfortunately, it is hard to hear horn speakers as there are not that many available here. I am jealous of the Europeans from that perspective. These speakers are my finalists: Avantgarde Duo XD, hORNS Universum, BD Design Sigmas, Viking Grande Voix. I am also looking at AudioKinesis. Duke Is building a speaker that is not out yet that could meet my needs. I will match the amp later after I select the speakers. All of the speakers are similar in price except the Avantgarde Duo XD. They are almost $20k more than the other speakers I mentioned in the USA. Given that, it might be my last choice unless I could get a fantastic deal somewhere. I am probably going to add two in wall subwoofers. My spouse will not allow me to have two subs on the floor in addition to the speakers. I am lucky that she is allowing me the horn speakers. Please don't tell me I should consider any other speaker. I am exhausted.

I listen to all kind of music but favor Indie Rock, Indie Acoustic, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Country. I want to be able to hear instruments ( guitar twang, cymbals, trumpet etc) even at low volume levels. I am not a vinyl guy. I love the Lumin Dac/ Streamer.

I would appreciate your views on what you think is best and why. Also, I would appreciate what Amp / Pre Amp / or Integrated would work with your recommendation. I am intrigued by the Viking Grande Voix if anyone has heard them.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I can’t comment on the Grande Voix but I’ve just ordered my 4th pair of Viking speakers. I’ve been very happy with them and David is great to work with.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
have not heard the others but I loved the Duo XD. Try the importer in Canada she gave me a very fair quote which I cannot disclose.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am intrigued by the Viking Grande Voix if anyone has heard them.
I just had to look them up.
Any idea why the wide band 6.5 inch chassis has a FAR smaller horn than the tweeter? o_O
That is REALLY strange :oops:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have never heard the BD Sigma nor any Viking or AudioKinesis but I do prefer the hORNS Universum over the Avantgarde Duo by quite a margin ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I can’t comment on the Grande Voix but I’ve just ordered my 4th pair of Viking speakers. I’ve been very happy with them and David is great to work with.
Which models did you have?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have never heard the BD Sigma nor any Viking or AudioKinesis but I do prefer the hORNS Universum over the Avantgarde Duo by quite a margin ;)

I agree. The BD can be equally good but are usually not available, though if he has the money he can get BD to design him what he likes. There is the risk he won't get to hear it first though

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I just had to look them up.
Any idea why the wide band 6.5 inch chassis has a FAR smaller horn than the tweeter? o_O
That is REALLY strange :oops:

I showed your question to Viking, response below.

From David @ Viking Acoustics

The wide bander is positioned right at the ear level with the smaller horn keeping vocals more "focused" whearas the HF horn is higher and is logical for such instruments as a cymbal which then can fill the entire room which is more correct than the other way around... This is not unique to Viking... But opposite of the AG Duo...many have adopted Dr D'Appolito's layout but we've found in horns it's different. Additionally the big horn is the vent or bass horn as in Berlin. There might be a mistake on the Viking website stating the smaller horn is the bass horn this is incorrect and I'll have our webmaster correct this.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

VikingHorn

Sep 7, 2019
Avante
I showed your question to Viking, response below.

From David @ Viking Acoustics

The wide bander is positioned right at the ear level with the smaller horn keeping vocals more "focused" whearas the HF horn is higher and is logical for such instruments as a cymbal which then can fill the entire room which is more correct than the other way around... This is not unique to Viking... But opposite of the AG Duo...many have adopted Dr D'Appolito's layout but we've found in horns it's different. Additionally the big horn is the vent or bass horn as in Berlin. There might be a mistake on the Viking website stating the smaller horn is the bass horn this is incorrect and I'll have our webmaster correct this.
By the way I really like the Avantgarde duo's just not below 100hz.. it's there where I feel they are weak. Otherwise, beautiful and cracking good high-resolution sound.

Reactions: bonzo75

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
H
Avante

By the way I really like the Avantgarde duo's just not below 100hz.. it's there where I feel they are weak. Otherwise, beautiful and cracking good high-resolution sound.
Hello V, did you hear the duo mezzo xd? I heard at axpona thought bass impact and tone was very good. Its such a personal choice, got to be your ears.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I just read my post which could be taken the wrong way. I should have worded it’s all about how you hear and what you like, speakers are a very personal choice.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I did and sent an email and never heard a reply
Let me clarify....I did get a reply from Jeffrey Jackson. His speakers will not work in my room.

Reactions: christoph

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
After a long search I decided on a custom pair of Viking Acoustic Grande Voix speakers. They will take 4 months to complete the build. The timbers for the horns were selected. The main cabinet will black with the horns in natural color wood. Now my next journey is what amplification to power them with.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have now selected the amps to go with my Viking Grande Voix. Out are the Mola Mola Kaluga and Makua Amps and in are Canary Audio M600 Mono 300B tube amp and the C1800 Reference Dual Mono two chassis tube Pre-amp. My streamer is the Lumin X-1. Now all I need is a now house to play them in. Framing starts tomorrow. Theater Room equipment is my next project.

Reactions: ddk and christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing