Will's Horn Finalists

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is a big DIY community in Canada on the DIY audio forum. If you visit a few of them, while you might end up listening to some bad stuff, you will soon find stuff far superior to the Odeon at much lower price, that can run on really low watts.

Reactions: gian60 and carolus

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
There is a big DIY community in Canada on the DIY audio forum. If you visit a few of them, while you might end up listening to some bad stuff, you will soon find stuff far superior to the Odeon at much lower price, that can run on really low watts.
I'm not sure I want to go the DIY route for a number of reasons. I suspect that those would be some pretty big horns that wouldn't fit into my condo.

Reactions: asiufy

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I also suspect that we have different preferences when it comes to sound. I, for instance, generally dislike Avantgarde loudspeakers. I've heard quite a few horns speakers and the Odeons were the only ones that have ever moved me emotionally. All the others have kept me from falling into the music because of some sonic colouration or aggressiveness.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I'm deciding on colour now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this colour scheme: View attachment 61528
I believe this is the larger model, the No. 38, but the No. 33 is very similar.
I never did consider the Viking -- the first I heard of it was when reading your thread just this week. Congrats on your selection as well.
A friend of mine ordered his Odeon 33 in double white:
White matte enclosures with high gloss white horns and they look fantastic :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also suspect that we have different preferences when it comes to sound. I, for instance, generally dislike Avantgarde loudspeakers. I've heard quite a few horns speakers and the Odeons were the only ones that have ever moved me emotionally. All the others have kept me from falling into the music because of some sonic colouration or aggressiveness.

Sorry, I don't like duos at all. Trios are good for the bass horns, not their midrange and highs

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm not sure I want to go the DIY route for a number of reasons. I suspect that those would be some pretty big horns that wouldn't fit into my condo.

They will be available in various sizes. You need to go and listen. There is one for everyone's taste.

Reactions: gian60 and carolus

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Sorry, I don't like duos at all. Trios are good for the bass horns, not their midrange and highs
I've demoed Trios twice but that was probably 15 years ago. Perhaps I'd like them now. I demoed the Duo Mezzo XD a couple years ago and did not like what I heard from that system.
A friend of mine ordered his Odeon 33 in double white:
White matte enclosures with high gloss white horns and they look fantastic :cool:
I was thinking white matte enclosures with those almond-coloured horns. I find the glossy painted horns to look too "plasticy" for my taste; I like to know the horn is made of wood.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I was thinking white matte enclosures with those almond-coloured horns. I find the glossy painted horns to look too "plasticy" for my taste; I like to know the horn is made of wood.
Fair point regarding the wood being visible but for my taste the high gloss horns give them a more modern look.
Both has its appeal it's just a matter of taste and preference :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've demoed Trios twice but that was probably 15 years ago. Perhaps I'd like them now. I demoed the Duo Mezzo XD a couple years ago and did not like what I heard from that system.

So essentially you are saying we both don't like duos, you haven't heard trios for 15 years, you haven't heard Anima, universum, DIY horns, and we have different tastes? All those speakers are very different sounding, btw. If you just are itching to make a purchase, go ahead and spend a lot of like on the Odeon which is the least good sounding of all of them also less than many inefficient speakers, and doesn't work with your current amps. Or hold off from the purchase and investigate a bit more with the DIY community

Reactions: gian60 and jeff1225

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
My current amplification is a Thomas Mayer 45/2A3 SET stereo amplifier. I tried it on the Odeon No. 26 but Odeons need more power -- 20 or 30 watts rather than 1.5 or 3.5 watts.
I used a Unison Research S6 (32 watts from EL34s in parallel, ultra-linear mode) and the sound with the Odeons was pretty fantastic.
One option would be to use that and modify it from an integrated to a stereo amp since I already own a preamp.
Another option would be to look for a different parallel single-ended EL34 amp -- preferably one that can be run in triode as opposed to ultra-linear or pentode. Mastersound makes a nice one but it only puts out 10 watts or so.
The Aries Cerat Genus amp, using 813s or 845s (I'm not sure which version sounds better) would be another option.
The Thoress 845 monoblocks is an option as is the Line Magnetic 503-PA.
Beyond that there is a whole world of other 845, 211, and other big-bottle SETs. Many of these, however, are beyond my budget.
It's funny, I looked at Aries Cerat also. i had a problem with them because their on and off switch was on the back of the unit and would not be very accessible for me in my situation. Prior to me buying the Canary Audio Grand Reference 2's, I used to own the Raven Integrated Reflection MK2 tube amp. I thought it was super sounding and the owner ( Dave Thomson ) has some of the rarest and best tubes in the world. You may just want to give them a look or call Dave just for info.

Reactions: Exlibris

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
So essentially you are saying we both don't like duos, you haven't heard trios for 15 years, you haven't heard Anima, universum, DIY horns, and we have different tastes? All those speakers are very different sounding, btw. If you just are itching to make a purchase, go ahead and spend a lot of like on the Odeon which is the least good sounding of all of them also less than many inefficient speakers, and doesn't work with your current amps. Or hold off from the purchase and investigate a bit more with the DIY community
I wouldn't say "itching' but I have been researching and listening for about 2 years. At some point one has to make a decision.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
It's funny, I looked at Aries Cerat also. i had a problem with them because their on and off switch was on the back of the unit and would not be very accessible for me in my situation. Prior to me buying the Canary Audio Grand Reference 2's, I used to own the Raven Integrated Reflection MK2 tube amp. I thought it was super sounding and the owner ( Dave Thomson ) has some of the rarest and best tubes in the world. You may just want to give them a look or call Dave just for info.
The on/off switch at the back would be a real hassle to me as well. I'll check out those brands that you mention; thank you.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I wouldn't say "itching' but I have been researching and listening for about 2 years. At some point one has to make a decision.
And I guess you want a nice to look at turn-key solution for your stylish condo and not some cobbled together monstrosity that maybe (or maybe not) might even sound a bit better but is not easy on the eye :rolleyes:

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
And I guess you want a nice to look at turn-key solution for your stylish condo and not some cobbled together monstrosity that maybe (or maybe not) might even sound a bit better but is not easy on the eye :rolleyes:
Yes, that would be one of the reasons I'm not excited to go the DIY route.
If I had the space for the Universum I would fly somewhere to hear them I think.
The other thing I wanted to mention here is that I primarily listen to rock and, from what others on this forum have said, the Odeons may be a better choice for that genre than either the Universum or Anima.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

You need to post some of these DIY horn systems on your blog.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You need to post some of these DIY horn systems on your blog.

That might send up prices of speaker drivers. Those who know these drivers know them anyway, but we have many on this forum who have never seen beyond a hifi show room and their modern laptop. They have a lot of money they made in the the walks of life they have smarts in.

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60 and jeff1225

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Yes, that would be one of the reasons I'm not excited to go the DIY route.
If I had the space for the Universum I would fly somewhere to hear them I think.
The other thing I wanted to mention here is that I primarily listen to rock and, from what others on this forum have said, the Odeons may be a better choice for that genre than either the Universum or Anima.

If you are near California, go see the Acapella/Audio note setup @ Audio Federation.
They have Apollon and Cellini horns in house right now.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
If you are near California, go see the Acapella/Audio note setup @ Audio Federation.
They have Apollon and Cellini horns in house right now.
I've always wanted to love Acaplellas and have heard a number of models on a few occasions. For whatever reason, they just don't do it for me. I do love the plasma tweeter though.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love the idea of the plasma tweeter, but I think I felt that it sounded a bit hot to me. But that was only in show conditions, and I suspect the right SET amplifier could ameliorate any brightness there.

Is there any kind of attenuator on the Acapella plasma tweeter?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing