Bob's New Listening Room and System

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Come on rvisinta you can do much better. Do the speakers justice with better source.

Kind regards,
Tang

Sure I can, but not trying to impress. I just like to enjoy music and I can do that 100% for me with this source. And although you do not approve of the source I LOVE it and probably 50+ visitors that have visited and heard the Roma with this source have been totally satisfied.

We frequently listen to tape and vinyl but always end up back with streaming for a few hours of listening. Sure both vinyl and tape are a few levels up sonically if compared.

We all get into picking music that we love and playing and enjoying the music and forget the system is even in the room. To each his own, makes the world go round and round.

This is probably my "C" level source and electronics. B and A sources are available for visitors and friends. For me I'm fine with C level. Also using $2K speaker cables and 15 year old RCA interconnects:)

Btw, the Taiko Audio Extreme Server is currently "in the air" from Emile to Rhapsody. High expectations for the Extreme server with optical connections from Router to direct optical input of the Extreme..

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
Micro, the engineering on album recording are a bigger hindrance to sounding real than anything else once stereos start to get good. Maybe one album sounds real, the next anything but...

Subject for a great thread - the correlation between the engineering on album recording and our systems. It is one of the intrinsic problems with the technical limitations of stereo - there is such a wide variation on both aspects (recording and system) that unless we clearly specify the recordings most of our debates are diffuse and everyone can be wrong or right, creating a Babel tower discussion.

It is why I list some recordings in the" About" section " The Place To List Your Reference Tracks" of members - it would be great if other active members do the same. Unfortunately I do not remember any more how to change it, I would like to add two more. :oops:

My official list:

Shostakovitch 5th Symphony Decca Haitink - the finale. I want to feel the power of the full orchestra in a great music wall.

Claudio Monteverdi: Vespro della Beata Vergine - Sigiswald Kuijken and La Petite Bande. You must feel the real size of the performance and the emotion and beauty of the voices. The end must have drama.

West Side Story: Jose Carreras, Kiri Te Kanawa, Tatiana Troyanos, Kurt Ollman and Leonard Bernstein. For rhythm it is not easy to find a better recording. Otherwise it becomes syrupy.

The routes of esclavage, Jordi Savall, AliaVox -an exceptionally rich and dynamic mix of singers and musical instruments - see :https://alia-vox.com/cataleg.php?id=138

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sure I can, but not trying to impress. I just like to enjoy music and I can do that 100% for me with this source. And although you do not approve of the source I LOVE it and probably 50+ visitors that have visited and heard the Roma with this source have been totally satisfied.

We frequently listen to tape and vinyl but always end up back with streaming for a few hours of listening. Sure both vinyl and tape are a few levels up sonically if compared.

We all get into picking music that we love and playing and enjoying the music and forget the system is even in the room. To each his own, makes the world go round and round.

This is probably my "C" level source and electronics. B and A sources are available for visitors and friends. For me I'm fine with C level. Also using $2K speaker cables and 15 year old RCA interconnects:)

Btw, the Taiko Audio Extreme Server is currently "in the air" from Emile to Rhapsody. High expectations for the Extreme server with optical connections from Router to direct optical input of the Extreme..

Tang means analog source...

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Tang means analog source...

I thought Tang meant why don't I use vinyl or tape? Isn't that what he meant? I didn't want to use viny or tape. I wanted to use Tidal/Qobuz streaming. Maybe I misunderstood???

In my world if I use R2R or vinyl I can use $5K speakers and an integrated and make VG sound. What I am into is getting magic from streaming. 90% of my customers, which are literally in the hundreds, are into streaming. Many have vinyl/R2R but most have streaming and use it as their primary listening source. I strive to make magic with Tidal/Qobuz....it's just my thing, not suggesting it for anyone else.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I thought Tang meant why don't I use vinyl or tape? Isn't that what he meant? I didn't want to use viny or tape. I wanted to use Tidal/Qobuz streaming. Maybe I misunderstood???

In my world if I use R2R or vinyl I can use $5K speakers and an integrated and make VG sound. What I am into is getting magic from streaming. 90% of my customers, which are literally in the hundreds, are into streaming. Many have vinyl/R2R but most have streaming and use it as their primary listening source. I strive to make magic with Tidal/Qobuz....it's just my thing, not suggesting it for anyone else.
What I meant? I only meant well for you.

Kind regards,
Tang

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
What I meant? I only meant well for you.

Kind regards,
Tang
Tang,

Thank you:) I didn't take it any other way.

I was just messing around early in the morning and since we were all talking about the Roma I just snapped a few Samsung phone videos with songs that I happened to be listening to this morning. Sometimes I try to make a good sounding video using my TT/SET's etc, this was just some fun streaming videos at the spur of the moment.

I also was trying to explain why I use streaming vs. the much better sonic sounding vinyl or R2R. No big deal and nothing more than that.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) In my world if I use R2R or vinyl I can use $5K speakers and an integrated and make VG sound. What I am into is getting magic from streaming. 90% of my customers, which are literally in the hundreds, are into streaming. Many have vinyl/R2R but most have streaming and use it as their primary listening source. I strive to make magic with Tidal/Qobuz....it's just my thing, not suggesting it for anyone else.

Most Qobuz streaming is 24/96 bit exact. It is a shame for the audio industry that in 2019 it is more difficult to make a system sing with 24/96 than using R2R or vinyl. Should we put an analog tape loop in the system to solve the problem? ;)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I still find it amazing how a little smartphone microphone can pick up and record enough info that we can get a glimpse into the magic of many systems through a YouTube video! How is it that we spend hundreds of thousands?

Maybe you have it right Bob, get the right speakers, a simple source, and all the music you want via streaming and just sit back and enjoy. Having heard the Diesis, this horn/open-baffle approach does maybe change the game a little?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Most Qobuz streaming is 24/96 bit exact. It is a shame for the audio industry that in 2019 it is more difficult to make a system sing with 24/96 than using R2R or vinyl. Should we put an analog tape loop in the system to solve the problem? ;)
I still find it amazing how a little smartphone microphone can pick up and record enough info that we can get a glimpse into the magic of many systems through a YouTube video! How is it that we spend hundreds of thousands?

Maybe you have it right Bob, get the right speakers, a simple source, and all the music you want via streaming and just sit back and enjoy. Having heard the Diesis, this horn/open-baffle approach does maybe change the game a little?

I know I could live with say the Diesis Evento integrated, the Caput Mundi, Roma or RT and a server feeding the dac in Evento. That's all that I need to make the music come to life for me. Once you get to the point where for you it's total magic, why spend more. Buy other toys.....I have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome):)

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Whats that Bob, no jones for golf clubs?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, if that's what people want, I understand. I just know Tang is always spinning.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Whats that Bob, no jones for golf clubs?

I already have 10 sets of clubs and do know that it's the player more than the clubs.

Now with guitars I feel differently. I'm not that good of a gp to pick up any guitar and make it sing. BUT if I get a really fine instrument it makes me play better and I enjoy it so much more.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Well, if that's what people want, I understand. I just know Tang is always spinning.

I totally get it and there is NO doubt about it spinning or R2R has superior sound. Although the digital has gotten so good for me that I don't even care anymore if something else sounds better. AND more importanly I am very lazy:)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The old saying... “its the Indian, not the arrow”. Before I got a case of the yips, I could play bogie golf with a 5 iron, 9 iron, sand wedge, and putter. Never did master hitting the driver, but a 3 wood was my friend. Keep it the short grass.

Then go home, hug the wife, open a nice bottle of wine, put on some music... now instead of golf I ride my Jones bike. As a golfer, I was getting fat.

EE5D5136-0FE1-4829-B285-C7DFE5E1198D.jpeg

Reactions: bazelio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The old saying... “its the Indian, not the arrow”. Before I got a case of the yips, I could play bogie golf with a 5 iron, 9 iron, sand wedge, and putter. Never did master hitting the driver, but a 3 wood was my friend. Keep it the short grass.

Then go home, hug the wife, open a nice bottle of wine, put on some music... now instead of golf I ride my Jones bike. As a golfer, I was getting fat.

I could see you flying up and down the hils on that thing. I like the tires.

View attachment 53172

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Variations on Sunday morning-

The first two videos are the same recordings streaming Qobuz as yesterday's videos but with the Ongaku replacing the AVM electronics.

The 3rd video is the Studer 812>>>Ongkau>>>>Roma

The 4th video is the AF1P >>>Ongaku >>>>Roma

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’m a crap photographer, and the iPhone camera doesn’t really capture the magic of the light this morning coming into the music room.
96AB41A2-B88B-4D96-8B8F-BD8B69C5AE42.jpeg

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I’m a crap photographer, and the iPhone camera doesn’t really capture the magic of the light this morning coming into the music room.

i can confirm it's a beautiful Pacific Northwest Morning about 200 miles directly north of you Bob. the low sun angle in the mountains here is enchanting through the morning mist.

with my window inserts i can't enjoy it from my listening seat though.:(

the price i pay for being all in on the sound.:p

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
i can confirm it's a beautiful Pacific Northwest Morning about 200 miles directly north of you Bob. the low sun angle in the mountains here is enchanting through the morning mist.

with my window inserts i can't enjoy it from my listening seat though.:(

the price i pay for being all in on the sound.:p

With my humble ;) rig Mike I can afford the compromise. Bonnie originally said she could deal with one reflective surface, in my case the window & glass doors. It doesn’t suck! :p :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing