Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX First Impressions

Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have to admit that the XVX was highest on my list should I upgrade my speakers. ......until I read one most important spec.o_O Minimum power to drive the speaker is 100 watts. This immediately ruled me out as my Lamm ML3's which are a permanent part of my system are only 32 wpc
So, they likely could sound even better if drivable by a top SET!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
well, I would like to think that I have a very good SET, so good in fact that for me the XVX is a non issue as my Lamm gear is permanent in my system

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, so you're a "shoes first, spkrs second" kinda guy?

ddk

Industry Expert
May 19, 2013
Utah
That they can’t, so likely they cannot reach their full potential.
That's conjecture their full potential is what an ss amp can deliver, that's their design limitation.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thus Ron by definition would never swap his Pendragons for these.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I do very much like the broad midrange band 'Pendagron-like' 'Genesis-like' ribbon in my own system. Keeping the crossover out of that region creates an audible benefit. The flat impedance and efficiency also bring out the best in every amp I have tried. The metal cage for the ribbon results in some horn-like increase in air impedance, because the ribbons do quite well with dynamics.

The big Wilsons I have heard can sound top notch fantastic, and don't give up much if anything to horns with dynamics. However, they always seem to be hit or miss and require intricate setups and equipment matching. They can also sound lousy if not fed or set up right.

I always had a preference for speakers that were easy to set up and sounded good with just about everything without fuss.

Last edited:
May 30, 2010
Portugal
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That they can’t, so likely they cannot reach their full potential.
Shurely. My car can't reach its full potential because I can't fill the tank with jet fuel or my favorite cognac! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing